speedo wires on top or bottom of frame tubes?

For Roadies

speedo wires on top or bottom of frame tubes?

Postby jeff_o » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi Mates. I just like to get everyone's opinion on routing speedometer cables. I got my bike and the wires (with 2 sensors for cadence and speed) were originally routed from the handlebar then along the bottom of the downtube and along the bottom again of the left side chainstay.

I'm re-installing everything and I was thinking if I route it at the bottom, it will get wet, possibly muddy and dirty vs. routing the wires along the top or topside of the downtube and chainstay. what do you think?
jeff_o

by BNA » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:30 am

BNA

Re: speedo wires on top or bottom of frame tubes?

Postby DanielS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:30 am

The mud and water won't harm your cables, the only danger is that they are a bit more vulnerable to getting cuts in the plastic outer. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. If you have a black frame you could get black electrical tape and run it across the length of the cable for a bit of added protection. Otherwise you could use clear tape (very carefully, so you don't get any crinkles in it -- again, for cosmetic purposes!)

Sticking them on the top of the downtube is probably a bit 'safer' but will look uglier!
DanielS

Return to Road Biking