Interested in joining a cycling club on the central coast

For Roadies

Interested in joining a cycling club on the central coast

Postby johnhunt » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to this forum and cylcing itself.. I got a road bike back in November last year and I've been loving it - however the people I sometimes go riding with are a bit too casual for me and aren't really out to cover distance/get fit.

I'm not sure I want to get into racing as I want to enjoy riding rather than being upset that I came last in a race (I can't stand losing), but I would like to go on rides of about 70 -> 100km. I like to push myself a bit and I cycle for fitness and fun. It's pretty dull cycling alone, so I wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction?

It could be that joining a club isn't the best thing.. maybe just a group of like minded people.

Thanks!
John.
johnhunt

by BNA » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:19 am

BNA

Re: Interested in joining a cycling club on the central coas

Postby albe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:19 am

up my end of the central coast, i have seen these folks out and about quite a bit ...

http://www.toukleycycleclub.org.au/

though more for the 'mature age' rider which does suit the demographic round here. :)
albe

Re: Interested in joining a cycling club on the central coas

Postby AndyTheMan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:23 am

Hi John

Where abouts are you on the coast?

I'm in East Gosford and just getting into the road bike thing. I've had mountain bikes for the past 5-6 years and have been worried about the safety of road cycling (even though I have been into the shop to look at road bikes so many times the staff know me now....)

Anyway, for my birthday this year I'll be getting a new roadie...

I'm reasonably fit (ran the bay to bay (12km) this year in a little over an hour) but certainly not super fit by any stretch...

I'm also interested in meeting up with some like minded people for a few rides. Probably the sort of thing you are thinking. I've been told that the central coast cycling club meet at West Gosford Shops on Sundays for a 'coffee ride' - but I'm concerned that as someone new to road bikes I won't be able to keep up.

I think I'd like to put a few hundred clicks under my belt before I make a fool of myself in front of dozens of other riders.

My ideal would be a few guys for a 30-60 km ride on the weekend (incorporating a reasonably good ride, but also a decent coffee stop along the way...)
AndyTheMan

Return to Road Biking