Powertap ? Which option ?

For Roadies

Powertap ? Which option ?

Postby ajmit3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Hey guys....

I think I am going to buy a powertap with my tax return :roll: I've looked at the CT site, done a thread search etc...

The question is what do I go for ? I don't think I want the comp (wired) because I don't think it is ANT+ compatible and will not be compatible with my Garmin 500. I just want it for training and maybe for racing. I also dont want to spend more than a 1000 dollars...

Had a look and I can get an powertap elite with a wheel for $888.72

http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/powerta ... -470-p.asp

But also - I have found a site that rents a powertap SL - with a wheel and cassette for $21/wk.... So I could maybe rent one for a few months and see whether it is useful etc... ?

A bit confused... The old renting vs. buying debate... Maybe I could rent it off him for 6 months and then he could sell it to me ?

Sorry, I know its a bit all over the place but what are your thoughts ?
ajmit3

by BNA » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:42 pm

BNA

Re: Powertap ? Which option ?

Postby ajmit3 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Anyone?
ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Surely someone has a powertap... :evil:
ajmit3

Postby twizzle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Yes, but they don't get on here every day.

Just buy one. Unless you are a weight weenie, go for the Elite.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby Sven Nijs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Just be aware they are bringing out revised versions of the hubs which I don't think are upon the site yet. Have a Google though.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!
Sven Nijs

Postby ajmit3 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:52 am

twizzle wrote:Yes, but they don't get on here every day.

Just buy one. Unless you are a weight weenie, go for the Elite.

Thanks Twizzle. Weight isnt a concern - but price is !

Sven Nijs wrote:Just be aware they are bringing out revised versions of the hubs which I don't think are upon the site yet. Have a Google though.

ok sounds interesting....

Thanks for the replies.
ajmit3

Postby madone59 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi,
I use a PT Pro + with the Joule 2.0 head unit and have been since January this year (moved from the Polar Power unit which was one of the worst investments of all time). The hub and head unit have been perfect from day one and not missed a beat with the only maintenance being a battery change in the hub after six months use at about 12 hours a week. The Joule 2.0 is a fantastic training partner if you use WKO+ as all of your training metrics become visible in real time which is great if you’re trying to target specific TSS scores per ride etc.
Not sure if you’re looking to retro fit the hub to an existing wheel or looking for a new wheel but I’d really recommend dealing with Rich Saris from Wheelbuilder.com. This hub was built into a Kinlin rim which I use for training and club racing, still perfectly true after six months and a great wheel to race and train on. Rich was great with plenty of email correspondence prior to order to ensure the wheel was matched to my requirements a quick build time (received wheel 2 weeks after ordering) and good pricing.
Hope this helps.
madone59

Postby ajmit3 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:21 pm

madone59 wrote:Hi,
I use a PT Pro + with the Joule 2.0 head unit and have been since January this year (moved from the Polar Power unit which was one of the worst investments of all time). The hub and head unit have been perfect from day one and not missed a beat with the only maintenance being a battery change in the hub after six months use at about 12 hours a week. The Joule 2.0 is a fantastic training partner if you use WKO+ as all of your training metrics become visible in real time which is great if you’re trying to target specific TSS scores per ride etc.
Not sure if you’re looking to retro fit the hub to an existing wheel or looking for a new wheel but I’d really recommend dealing with Rich Saris from Wheelbuilder.com. This hub was built into a Kinlin rim which I use for training and club racing, still perfectly true after six months and a great wheel to race and train on. Rich was great with plenty of email correspondence prior to order to ensure the wheel was matched to my requirements a quick build time (received wheel 2 weeks after ordering) and good pricing.
Hope this helps.

That helps immensely. WKO+ looks pretty full on, but I've got guys to ask how to use it.

I think im going with Bikehub in burgandy street in melbourne. The guy there was very friendly and gave me a great price. I just want to have peace of mind , and i think buying this overseas might be a bit annoying if something goes wrong !

PS does anyone race with a powertap ? ?
ajmit3

Postby DanielS » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:23 pm

ajmit3 wrote:PS does anyone race with a powertap ? ?

Yep all the time!
DanielS

Postby ajmit3 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:45 pm

DanielS wrote:

Yep all the time!

Go on... Criteriums ? How about longer road races - or road races with hilly terrain ?

I can see the benefits of having a powertap in a 40km TT - to keep just under threshold power or crits , but how about hilly races - like Tour of Bright - wouldn't the extra weight be a disadvantage ?

With a powertap - my bike would probably go to 7.8kg...
ajmit3

Postby twizzle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:36 pm

I don't leave my house without one.

PS - Go and buy "Training and racing with a power meter" (Coggan) and a copy of "The cyclists training bible" (Friel).
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby madone59 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:51 pm

I always train with my PT and race at a club level with it, the data is invaluable. However I take a different view with open racing in that it’s all about performance so I'm happy to leave it at home and move to a dedicated set of race wheel's. In a perfect world I'd love to have a set of deep dish carbons with a PT but the reality is its one or the other and there is always a small weight penalty with a PT even with their best hub.
Completely agree with the previous poster, go get yourself a copy of Coggan and Hunters book plus a copy of WKO+ so you can digest it before you get your PM and really lift the quality of your training.
madone59

Postby ajmit3 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:17 pm

twizzle wrote:I don't leave my house without one.

PS - Go and buy "Training and racing with a power meter" (Coggan) and a copy of "The cyclists training bible" (Friel).

Got Friel ... will buy Coggan....Cheers.

madone59 wrote:I always train with my PT and race at a club level with it, the data is invaluable. However I take a different view with open racing in that it’s all about performance so I'm happy to leave it at home and move to a dedicated set of race wheel's. In a perfect world I'd love to have a set of deep dish carbons with a PT but the reality is its one or the other and there is always a small weight penalty with a PT even with their best hub.
Completely agree with the previous poster, go get yourself a copy of Coggan and Hunters book plus a copy of WKO+ so you can digest it before you get your PM and really lift the quality of your training.

Thanks Madone - it's great that you have taken the time to register and reply to my post - I really appreciate that immensely. Thanks for the infomation, it's exactly what I need. I don't expect to be that competitive (I'm currently in D, hopefully move to C in a few races ) so I think I will just use the PT even in open races such as the Tour of Bright. I'm not that analytical, but hopefully I'll develop a passion for numbers ! Might try WKO+, also looking at Golden Cheetah.
I don't like the interface of the Garmin training centre (and Connect is useless for analysis ).
ajmit3

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:39 pm

ajmit3 wrote: but how about hilly races - like Tour of Bright - wouldn't the extra weight be a disadvantage ?

What is the total mass of bike + rider + equipment with your regular wheel and with the powertap wheel?
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby ajmit3 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi Alex,

not really sure, haven't got the wheel yet...

Now - I weigh approximately 70 kg , the bike weight is about 7.1kg so around 77.1kg . (With a powertap it might be 78 kg)

According to analytic cycling (calculating the diff b/t 77 and 78 kg)- I would be 17.98 s and ahead by 131.42 m on a 0.03 slope over a 20km hill climb @250 watts on a 77kg mass as opposed to a 78 kg mass.
ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
ajmit3 wrote: but how about hilly races - like Tour of Bright - wouldn't the extra weight be a disadvantage ?

What is the total mass of bike + rider + equipment with your regular wheel and with the powertap wheel?

Was your point that a 1 kg, doesn't make a significant diference ? IMO, so a kilo does make a difference - but as I probably going to be pack fodder in open C or open B at best in Nov, I think I will take the extra kg ?
ajmit3

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:49 pm

It doesn't weigh a kilo more it's a few hundred grams. It's also at the centre of the wheel so doesn't have as much an impact on the wheel as it's not at the extremity. You can always run liter tyres.

I'm in the "never leave home without one" category and have the pro and sl+ power taps. They are great on long rides/events I used my training wheel one instead of carbon clincher climbing wheels on the etape this year.
1q2w3e4r

Postby ajmit3 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:19 pm

1q2w3e4r wrote:It doesn't weigh a kilo more it's a few hundred grams. It's also at the centre of the wheel so doesn't have as much an impact on the wheel as it's not at the extremity. You can always run liter tyres.

I'm in the "never leave home without one" category and have the pro and sl+ power taps. They are great on long rides/events I used my training wheel one instead of carbon clincher climbing wheels on the etape this year.

I meant a kilo more with the heavier wheel and the elite powertap ... Combined they might be a kilo more. Thanks for your input though.

Moral of the story sounds like 'race with it'.

Cheers for everyones contributions.
ajmit3

Postby williamsf1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 am

I have a PT SL + upgraded with ceramic bearings fitted to a zipp 404 rim.....tubular of course!!! :P :P

race / train / anything!!!

ebay from the USA (AT) about $1200 with a matching zipp 404 front wheel and tune hub....

total weight is 1300g

matched to a garmin 705 and a 500 at times

data use is with garmin and strava

very very useful in training and also to have it in for racing!!!!!

being replaced shortly with a power2max rotor 3D+ cranks set....
williamsf1

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 am

ajmit3 wrote:I meant a kilo more with the heavier wheel and the elite powertap ... Combined they might be a kilo more.

One wheel is a whole kg more?
In any case, it's not that big a deal for regular riding.

If people however don't want to swap wheels over or have a Powertap in different wheels, then can always go for a crank based power meter instead.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby DanielS » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:31 pm

ajmit3 wrote:
DanielS wrote:

Yep all the time!

Go on... Criteriums ? How about longer road races - or road races with hilly terrain ?

I can see the benefits of having a powertap in a 40km TT - to keep just under threshold power or crits , but how about hilly races - like Tour of Bright - wouldn't the extra weight be a disadvantage ?

I have used it for just about anything, I don't feel like it holds me back much. I have done some races with a lighter rear wheel when I've gotten concerned about the hills. I don't have any fancy carbon wheels so there isn't much of a difference.

If I did have some good race wheels I'd be tempted to leave the powertap off for important races. Sometimes the data isn't super necessary afterwards.

Tour of Bright - you'd have to weigh up (ha!) whether being able to see your power output on the climb is more important than the small increase in mass. You can plug some numbers into analyticcycling.com to see what sort of time disadvantage you'd be looking at.
DanielS

Postby bis_scott » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi,
I am too thinking Power Training and racing, i get to hot headed some times and i love techno stuff on bikes.
I am going to keep my hard earned in my pocket for a bit longer, for the same price as a Power meter we will be able to get these soon!
http://www.metrigear.com/products/
Garmin have just bought the company which is going to delay the relese of the product but it will be worth the wait, $1000 US is the suggested sales price and no wheel build! Nice!
I wreck wheels, love crit racing!

My 2c,

Scott.
bis_scott

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 pm

bis_scott wrote:Hi,
I am too thinking Power Training and racing, i get to hot headed some times and i love techno stuff on bikes.
I am going to keep my hard earned in my pocket for a bit longer, for the same price as a Power meter we will be able to get these soon!
http://www.metrigear.com/products/
Garmin have just bought the company which is going to delay the relese of the product but it will be worth the wait, $1000 US is the suggested sales price and no wheel build! Nice!
I wreck wheels, love crit racing!

My 2c,

Scott.

Don't hold your breath. I think $1k is optimistic. There are about half a dozen such power meter products "on the way".
Be cool if they make it to market, work, are cost competitive and durable.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Return to Road Biking