Penrith 20km TT target speed v Calga 25km speed

Chris249

Penrith 20km TT target speed v Calga 25km speed

Postby Chris249 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:14 am

I'm repeating this from the TT forum because that's quieter and I need an answer today.

I'm going to do the 20km TT at the flat Penrith course tomorrow. Does anyone know how my target speed should compare to the ones I get on the undulating 25km course at Calga? I'm a bit concerned that I won't get the chances to get my breath back that you get on the downhills at Calga and from the fact that other people seem to get similar speeds at the two venues, I'm assuming that the flatter course isn't actually a big advantage.

Also, does anyone know how many laps the 20km ride at Penrith is?

Thanks
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

philip

Re: Penrith 20km TT target speed v Calga 25km speed

Postby philip » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:08 pm

I don't know what the Penrith course is like so can't really help you other than to say that comparing speeds at two different locations (or even the same location on different days) isn't going to be useful. Also if you're getting your breath back during a TT you're doing it wrong!

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:01 pm

I know you're a fair bit faster than me at Calga (I'm almost mid pack, which I'm fairly happy with as this is my #3 sport so training time is very limited and I'm in my late 40s) but I'm not sure if many people are still working at maximum effort down Blood Hill, for example. I don't know what cadence that would take but I find 76 kmh or whatever to be quite sufficient, so I take the chance to recover a bit as that seems to suit my style (I suspect I have odd thresholds).

I understand that the courses are different, but the point is that if the average person was doing 35kmh on one course and 45 kmh on the other then I'd have to change targets when changing courses.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

philip

Postby philip » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:33 pm

If you don't have a heart rate monitor or anything (I don't) I think you're probably better off going by perceived effort rather than speed. The trick will be to pace yourself over that distance. For example if it was a windy day then going by speed won't be helpful but perceived effort will - as long as you perceive your effort well enough, which might not be that accurate either but I think something you get better at with experience.