MY FIRST CRITERIUM

For Roadies

MY FIRST CRITERIUM

Postby thomas_deery » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Hey everyone,

I joined my local cycling club a few months ago and have raced in 2 road races since, however I have
my first criterium in one week and am a bit nervous.

I am only 16 and all other club members are experienced cyclists so i could do with some help
with the basic "criterium etiquette" before I show up and look like a total noob!

The guys at the club are really helpful however some advice prior to the race on here would be a good start.

Any rules etc. that I whould know would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Tom
thomas_deery

by BNA » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

BNA

Re: MY FIRST CRITERIUM

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24692

Don't be scared to attack and fail. Have fun.
ft_critical

Postby Patches » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm sixteen as well and really want to do some criteriums, did you just go ahead and join the club and start racing immediately? Also, are there a few other guys our age or are you mostly riding with slow old men? (in the nicest possible way :P)
Patches

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:14 am

Try too stay near the front and watch the higher ranked riders for how they ride. I agree with Ft also, give it to them at different stages through the race, as you have nothing to prove or lose being that you are just starting out. You just never know, you could snag a good result for yourself and it will give a indicator of how you're going as far as fitness at this stage is concerned. :mrgreen:

Oh the most important thing........... enjoy yourself and learn! :wink:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby scotto » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:28 am

Patches wrote:I'm sixteen as well and really want to do some criteriums, did you just go ahead and join the club and start racing immediately? Also, are there a few other guys our age or are you mostly riding with slow old men? (in the nicest possible way :P)

i learnt quickly - the old guys make up for their lack of punch with exp. and tactics. DO NOT write em off too easily !
also, old bearded dudes tend to be faster than they look !

Just turn up and race. tell em its your first time when you sign on. they'll look after you.
scotto

Postby thomas_deery » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Patches wrote:I'm sixteen as well and really want to do some criteriums, did you just go ahead and join the club and start racing immediately? Also, are there a few other guys our age or are you mostly riding with slow old men? (in the nicest possible way :P)

G'day Patches,
Yeah, I just went on the Cycling Victoria website and got a 17/U racing license, went to my local bike store
to see when the next race was and just turned up.

I think there are a couple of other boys our age at my club in Bairnsdale, but sometimes it can be just me there
and the "old guys" at the races if the boys are away or arent racing that weekend.

Don't be fooled though! Those old guys can fly! Being a sport based on a solid aerobic base built up over time, their years of experience
are invaluable. They go full gas all the way!

Currently you can grab a 6 month licencse i think off Cycling Victoria, so if you are thinking about it I would say go for it because
the experience has been great.

Tom
thomas_deery

Postby Patches » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:12 pm

thomas_deery wrote:

G'day Patches,
Yeah, I just went on the Cycling Victoria website and got a 17/U racing license, went to my local bike store
to see when the next race was and just turned up.

I think there are a couple of other boys our age at my club in Bairnsdale, but sometimes it can be just me there
and the "old guys" at the races if the boys are away or arent racing that weekend.

Don't be fooled though! Those old guys can fly! Being a sport based on a solid aerobic base built up over time, their years of experience
are invaluable. They go full gas all the way!

Currently you can grab a 6 month licencse i think off Cycling Victoria, so if you are thinking about it I would say go for it because
the experience has been great.

Tom

Alright, that sounds great. My closest club is Hawthorn and they don't run any crits unti daylight savings starts, but towards the end of the year I'll give it a go. Thanks!
Patches

Return to Road Biking