Bellingen to Dorrigo climb

draft

Bellingen to Dorrigo climb

Postby draft » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:19 am

Hi All

Has anyone done this climb? I have driven up it a few times back in the 90's but would like to now have a go at cycle up this road on friday. Is it safe in the sense of cars, was a hoot to drive down :)

Cheers

HebdenBiker

Re: Bellingen to Dorrigo climb

Postby HebdenBiker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi mate, did you do this ride? I'm on holiday from the UK and last week I went the opposite way - UP onto the table lands from Ellenborough to Walcha, then DOWN the next day from Ebor to Bellingen, stopping for lunch in Dorrigo. The steep section is approx 15km and very fast (max speed for me 80kph). I had no problems with traffic the whole trip - I found truck drivers gave me plenty of space. Caravans were the worst but nothing like as bad as the ignorant drivers in the UK :D

Pics on my blog if you're interested: http://averagecyclist.blogspot.com/

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:53 am

Planning to do this in a few days time. Is it a bad idea at this time of year? Will the traffic be heavy due?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:30 am

I live on Waterfall Way Bellingen, although some way up hill from the actual road. Traffic is more tourists than trucks at the moment, although normally there are quarry trucks using it on a regular basis.

The worst part is probably the flat section of Waterfall Way between Bellingen and Dorrigo. There are many narrowish winding sections that I personally consider unsuitable for cycling as they are also relatively high speed sections (100km/h) where drivers will over estimate their abilities and there is no shoulder available for safety. It's about the only road in the area that isn't great for riding.

The climb itself IMO has more room than most of the flatter part of the road and probably isn't too bad. You'll want good brakes for the descent. Take care.

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will be there on Wednesday. Best time to ride it is in the morning?

My plan is just to do this section

https://www.strava.com/segments/884148

I hope the traffic will be kind to me :)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:53 am

thomas1987 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I will be there on Wednesday. Best time to ride it is in the morning?

My plan is just to do this section

https://www.strava.com/segments/884148

I hope the traffic will be kind to me :)

It's not a high traffic route, so should be fine. By starting in Thora you've taken out the flat section. In my post above I should have said the flat section between Bellingen and Thora (not Dorrigo), although technically the same thing :)

Good luck with it, be interested to see what you think. I know someone that did 5 repeats of it in one day.