2012 Audax Alpine Classic

jules21

Re: 2012 Audax Alpine Classic

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:45 pm

congrats to everyone who rode! that was a tough day. it felt really hot - i think it was the sun beating down on my back.

i'd been doing 3, 4, 500km weeks for a few months and i thought this would be easier than it was. i started in the 6.20am group and as we reached the base of hotham in the cool morning, everyone just seemed to keep riding at full pace! some fast riders out there. i knew better than to get competitive at this point in the ride, so i settled in to 150 bpm and kept pace with a few 'stragglers'. i started to hunger flat near the top of hotham, but that was fixed soon enough at dinner plain by the wonderful audax people.

the ride down to omeo was beautiful and a chance to catch my breath, but then came the dreaded back of falls... i had just peeled back a banana when i stumbled upon the turnoff for w-t-f hill - a hard left and half my banana fell off onto the road!i was worried about eating so i stopped to recover it, but it was covered in road grime and after giving it brief consideration, i decided to discard it.

that hill is tough. i was doing 6-8 km/h up the steep bits. it had scores of hardened cyclists beaten, sitting on the roadside or walking their bikes up. one guy who was walking joked to me as i crawled past him that he didn't think his average speed was suffering much - he was pretty right. another guy was giving directions to someone on his phone, presumably to be rescued.

i stopped to help a poor bloke who'd come a cropper on one of the corners before the hill. he'd hit gravel and knocked his head, and was driven off by a volunteer. i hope you are OK if you're reading this.

a tip for anyone planning this ride - unless you are cadel evans, don't even contemplate it with anything less than 34x27 (which is what i was grinding on). after what seemed like hours, probably was hours, the climb evened out and eventually flattened out before i reached the falls cafe. hallelujah.

kudos to:
- the older gentleman with the beard/goatee who i passed on the way to omeo - i love seeing older people doing the ride as it inspires me to continue with the sport.
- the younger guy in the yellow audax jersey i spoke to briefly near the top of falls, on the steel paconi that was making squeaking noises. proof that you don't need a carbon spaceship to do these events, although i bet he was pretty fit.
- old newby - finishing the 130km ride after only taking up cycling recently is a real achievement. keep it up.
- everyone else who rode!

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:27 pm

JV911 wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote:Heaps hotter than last year! 8)
:shock:

my garmin read a average of 28 and max of 44 for last year
I'm surprised, I remember it as quite cool but I'm not going to argue with a garmin....... :oops:

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:03 pm

http://app.strava.com/rides/3732309

Pretty good time considering the serious lack of training I had done.
Back of falls can go... disappear for all I care. Man that hurt!

I now know why Say What corner is called that...

36 degrees going up tawonga hurt too.

Finished it so that is all that matters to me.

Garmin says 46016 pedals strokes...
2010 BMC SLC01

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 pm

jules21 wrote:- old newby - finishing the 130km ride after only taking up cycling recently is a real achievement. keep it up.
thanks jules21
feral grasshopper wrote:You beat me by 22 mins, not such an old newby! Chapeaux!
thanks feral grasshopper

and thanks to you guys on this thread, and others, who answered my questions, and encouraged me to go in the first place. great community, and support for each other!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

nickalas

Postby nickalas » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Did bright to hotham return on friday so wasn't expecting my best performance in the 200km, but was pleasantly surprised.

I started in one of the later waves, which meant a slow ride to the base of tawonga. Was hoping to get a free & easy 40km/h ride out to there but i guess that's my fault.

So from ~10km onwards it was a long solo ride. Managed to be passed by zero people the entire ride, and by the end of the ride there weren't too many 200km riders ahead of me

Felt really good and was enjoying myself up until mt buffalo. I shoved down most of my leftover food/gels between bright and buffalo, which subsequently meant i was using half my energy to pedal and the other half to prevent myself from vomiting everywhere. Too many gels in my poor tummy, it had no idea what had happened to it.
But i pushed on - and after about 10km of buffalo the urge to chunder subsided, and i just had to deal with the heat which was certainly pretty warm.

Completed the ride in approx 7h 20mins moving time, which i was extremely happy with - considering 185km was done without drafting anybody

Anybody know if times or anything will be posted on the internet?

jules21

Re:

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:39 pm

nickalas wrote: Completed the ride in approx 7h 20mins moving time, which i was extremely happy with - considering 185km was done without drafting anybody
that's fast!
nickalas wrote: Anybody know if times or anything will be posted on the internet?
i'm sure they will be.
nickalas wrote:i was using half my energy to pedal and the other half to prevent myself from vomiting everywhere/
it was very hot. i felt like hurling as well, it was just hard to keep food down.

nickalas

Postby nickalas » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:44 pm

the cliff bar i had at one point turned into cement in my mouth and took about 15 minutes to swallow

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:50 pm

jules21 wrote:nickalas wrote:i was using half my energy to pedal and the other half to prevent myself from vomiting everywhere/it was very hot. i felt like hurling as well, it was just hard to keep food down.
I hear you both... water stop on the way back up Tawonga, and the fountain stop on the same hill, i commented to someone else " i need to vomit and s#%t at the same time", luckily both urges subsided.
Again, huge respect to all who completed the longer distances on the day.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:53 pm

hannos wrote:http://app.strava.com/rides/3732309

I now know why WT? corner is called that...

Wow, how did you do that, I just looked at your strava, you hardly rode :shock: You must have great strength and mind power :D
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

MarkD_83

Postby MarkD_83 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Well I have a massive sense of achievement. I started riding about 5 months ago. Never really ridden a hill. I don't know why I even decided to do it. But I registered for the 130km. Did the ride in 5hr 17mins. I'm now going to get fitter and do the 200km next year.

heay

Postby heay » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Alright I'm inspired by all that took part in this event, congrates to all.

Now how many QLD'er's went down for this event? I would love to have a crack at the back of falls creek and actually see this so call Say What hill!!!!

I'm a keen climber and love to just get myself into a a pace that I can just bounce on the pedals when needed.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:00 pm

MarkD_83 wrote:Well I have a massive sense of achievement. I started riding about 5 months ago. Never really ridden a hill. I don't know why I even decided to do it. But I registered for the 130km. Did the ride in 5hr 17mins. I'm now going to get fitter and do the 200km next year.
Well done!

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:06 pm

MarkD_83 wrote:Well I have a massive sense of achievement. I started riding about 5 months ago. Never really ridden a hill. I don't know why I even decided to do it. But I registered for the 130km. Did the ride in 5hr 17mins. I'm now going to get fitter and do the 200km next year.
Well done from me also, just out of interest, how old are you? :D
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Semar

Postby Semar » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:28 pm

You are soooo hoping that he's young enough not to suggest you could have done the same thing!? :wink:
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

snark

Postby snark » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:32 pm

heay wrote:Alright I'm inspired by all that took part in this event, congrates to all.
Same here, great acheivements all. I'll definitely have to enter next year (one of the shorter rides :)).

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 pm

jules21 wrote: - the younger guy in the yellow audax jersey i spoke to briefly near the top of falls, on the steel paconi that was making squeaking noises. proof that you don't need a carbon spaceship to do these events, although i bet he was pretty fit.
You must have been passed me as well because I was riding near that guy on an off for the 2nd half of the ride. I am a smaller, older woman on a black, steel bike.

It's great reading everyone's stories and hearing about their rides. Yesterday I didn't think I would ever want to do that ride again. Today I'm thinking, maybe.

number21

Postby number21 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Wow, what a day.

Started in the 620am bunch for the 250km and all of a sudden we were heading up mt Hotham. Great climb, totally loved it, especially the top above the tree line. Not knowing the roads and climbs helped in a way because before I knew it I was hitting the back-o-falls I was already on the stretch I was most nervous about. (The Otford wall prepared me well for that first bit!) Not know where it ended hurt though, I just kept thinking how long can I keep this up, but eventually got there.

Over Falls I was feeling great, legs were good coming up to Tawonga Gap then I just fell into zombie mode. I saw a sign for 1km for water and I was just physically empty. Made it the stop feeling my face, hands and feet tingling and my head dizzy. I knew I was dehydrating. Took a gel and water with an electrolyte tablet but I just couldn't stand up straight. With 4kms of climbing and the rest downhill I couldn't throw in the towel. After watching countless riders passing I eventually got up and back on the bike. Again felt great again, passing people up the rest of the climb then powered into Bright with a group of 5 or 6.

Parked the bike and was still bummed about Tawonga before it hit me again. Dazily found the 1st aid tent before throwing up what water I'd consumed in the previous hour. Was eventually taken to the town hall where they had beds and was hooked up to a drip for two hours before I was cleared to leave. Was a combination of dehydration and heat stroke they said. Got back into town, had a shower got changed and ordered the last pizza of the night at 9:30.

In hindsight it was my fault, I had a hydration plan as I was carrying plenty of eload powder, 6 bidons worth, but only used 2. Then it was too late. But I'll be back next year! Shame I couldn't enjoy the finish line festivities.

9h45m riding time. 1h45 resting time (1 hour was at Tawonga water stop!)

Well done to all riders, my garmin had 38 degrees on the falls creek climb. Thanks to the guy and girl who gave me advice on that climb and the lead out to Tawonga, and the blokes who joined in the run with me to the finish line. Sorry I couldn't thank you after the ride! Plus massive thanks to all the St Johns guys and girls, walked out of the medical set up feeling fantastic.

MarkD_83

Postby MarkD_83 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:42 am

Apple wrote:

28, why is that?

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:06 am

MarkD_83 wrote:
Apple wrote:

28, why is that?
Because, of the above, 5 months riding and you managed so much, very impressive. I wish I had the stamina of a 28 year old, but I can't turn back time. Well done, I am sure you will achieve great things with your riding

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:50 am

Apple wrote:
hannos wrote:http://app.strava.com/rides/3732309

I now know why WT? corner is called that...

Wow, how did you do that, I just looked at your strava, you hardly rode :shock: You must have great strength and mind power :D
I went there to finish it so I did.
I had some great support though in Russell, Hamish and two guys whose names I can't remember encouraging me through. I was cramping near the top of Hotham and didn't think I'd even make it to Omeo!
2010 BMC SLC01

newie

Postby newie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:36 am

Wow, am impressed by so many of the stories here. Some for the amazing times, you guys must be so fit. But perhaps even more by those slower times on the 200 and 250 - 14 or 15 hours on the bike in those conditions shows incredible endurance and determination. I did the 130km in about 8.5 hours (~7.5 pedaling). I was registered in the 200 but always knew that unless I did heaps of training and the weather was perfect, that I would finish instead on the pass back through Bright. In the end although I think the legs were OK, the heat on the return up Tawonga Gap did me in. I am in two minds at the moment whether to come back next year for a crack at the 200. I know I would need to get a lot faster and fitter over the next 12 months (need to have the speed to get back over Tawonga before the heat of the day sets in). On one hand I would like to have a bit of my life back and do some other things this year (more swimming, start yoga again and learn to surf) and on the other it would be great to have a goal and really work at improving my fitness. Will give it a couple of weeks and see how I feel.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:10 pm

Eleri wrote:Well done to everyone who rode on the day. It was hot and windy but at least the storm held off and I didn't have to worry about being electrocuted on a steel bike.
Kudos for doing all that climbing on a steel bike. What sort of rig is it?
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:12 pm

__PG__ wrote:
Eleri wrote:Well done to everyone who rode on the day. It was hot and windy but at least the storm held off and I didn't have to worry about being electrocuted on a steel bike.
Kudos for doing all that climbing on a steel bike. What sort of rig is it?
It also has 650c wheels. :D

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Eleri wrote: You must have been passed me as well because I was riding near that guy on an off for the 2nd half of the ride. I am a smaller, older woman on a black, steel bike.
i might have passed you on the back of falls, or maybe even at the omeo rest stop. i tried to say hello to anyone i came across but it was difficult on the steep slopes of falls and most people were focussed on their front wheel :)
Eleri wrote: It's great reading everyone's stories and hearing about their rides. Yesterday I didn't think I would ever want to do that ride again. Today I'm thinking, maybe.
i kept thinking of stuart o'grady's saying: "pain is temporary, memories are forever". it's a real adventure grinding out there with fellow cyclists, it puts a big smile on my face remembering bits of the ride.
number21 wrote:Started in the 620am bunch for the 250km and all of a sudden we were heading up mt Hotham. Great climb, totally loved it, especially the top above the tree line.
did you climb it as much of a bunch? most of the 6.20 bunch disappeared up hotham and i just let them go, i wasn't going to bury myself at such an early point.

psike

Postby psike » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Had the pleasure of sharing dinner on Sunday evening with the oldest female rider to complete the ACE250 to date. I can't remember so much infectious enthusiasm at having completed a ride - so a (deserved) sense of accomplishment. This lady has done the raid in the past so knew what was in store with the back o'falls. I was amused by her story about having to get off and walk on the Falls climb, only to realise it would probably be easier to change off the big chain ring.

I also had the fortune of riding Hotham earlier in the week with Tony, in his 70s, a long time Audaxer and now volunteer. He was coaching a young guy up the hill who'd never ridden a decent hill before, and in the week of the Semaine Federale conquered both Buffalo and Hotham. The discussion over a beer back in Bright with another gentleman in his 70s who was attempting the ACE and feeling much more confident after his day on Hotham.

When the strong riders fly past I look with envy, but it's Audax. Time doesn't matter as long as it's within the brevet time. Ride time is irrelevant, it's elapsed time that matters because it's Audax. The Lantern Rouge reminds us that the inspiring riders are at the back of the bunch, not the front.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco