SOP to Terrigal - Route Selection (13/11/11)

For Roadies

SOP to Terrigal - Route Selection (13/11/11)

Postby Sydguy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:57 am

Hi all,

Meeting some friends for lunch in Terrigal at 12 noon this Sunday.

Looking at Google maps it defaults to the Freeway, is cycling on the freeway ok? Is there a better ride planner? Anyone done a ride similar to this?

Pacific Highway Vs Freeway... I guess if the Freeway is a bit boring or unsafe I can exit to the highway at some point.

End of trip facilities might be scant so I'll bring a fresh change of clothes and some shower in a can.

Thoughts appreciated.

JM
Sydguy

by BNA » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:19 pm

BNA

Re: SOP to Terrigal - Route Selection (13/11/11)

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:19 pm

The old pacific hwy has little traffic once you are outside of Sydney, but gets busier once you reach Gosford heights
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Sydguy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Pacific Hwy might be the best option, I cycle to get away from noise.

Thanks,
JM
Sydguy

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:54 am

Hiya

Long time coast resident (lived in Terrigal for 10 years until 6 months ago)

I would stay well off the freeway. I was under the impression that cycling on the freeway was prohibited from the Gosford/Kariong interchange through to Mount White – but this could just be local legend. In either case I wouldn’t suggest it – especially the section that passes over Mooney Mooney Bridge and the like as its pretty hairy even in the car – no shoulder and 3 lanes of 120km/h traffic doesn’t instill me with confidence. There are a few threads/comments on the Central Coast Cycling Club forum of people who have taken the Freeway route and the those that have done it have generally been condemned as fools by the rest of the local cycling community.

If you want to get to Terrigal you have two broad options

OLD PACIFIC HIGHWAY

First would be the Pacific Highway route – either making the dash down through Woy Woy or Kariong hill through Gosford to Terrigal. – This seems to be pretty popular and there are some new cycle markings at the top near Penang Parklands – then the steep ride down to West Gosford (no cycle markings)

The old pacific highway right through to Hornsby seems pretty popular with cyclist, sunday drivers and motorcycle clubs - so I think people are generally used to seeing cyclists and other 'recreational' users - away from the hustle and bustle of the F3 its probably your safest (and most enjoyable) ride - few hills which could atleast earn you your lunch....

As an alternate option....

VIA PALM BEACH AND FERRY TO ETTALONG

I like this idea better – I ride the Gosford, anti-clockwise loop around Brisbane water as my regular weekend ride – so I’ve done the Ettalong back towards Terrigal a few times.

I’ve seen quite a few people do the Sydney to Terrigal this way – taking a trip up through the northern beaches by various means, ferry from Palm Beach to Ettalong (still only costs $10 I think, runs every half hour or so, bikes are welcome). Then its a nice ride up the coast to Terrigal – there are a few options you could take – either

I know this starts in the city but gives you the broad idea:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/TDC-Terrigal-Sydney-Pitt-St-Mall

Also, there are a couple of nice options on this from once you get to Ettalong.

I’ll explain...

Once you cross Rip Bridge (just outside Ettalong) there are a couple of ways to get to Terrigal

You can go up Kincumber South, Kincumber, cutting across the Pickets Valley then Terrigal (as shown in the attached Bikely map), or

You can take the ‘coast’ route that goes Killcare Heights, Macmasters, Copacabana, Avoca, Terrigal. Few more hills in this section if your into that...

Hope this is helpful
AndyTheMan

Postby Sydguy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:10 am

Awesome reply. Thank you.

Will print this out and make myself a map!

Let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
JM
Sydguy

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:27 pm

This is a social ride I have planned for February. I'll be interested in your feedback from your ride, it may assist in making some refinements

Pacific Hwy to North Gosford, then Ettalong beach (lunch), ferry, Pittwater to Marrickville via Frenches forest
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:46 pm

I've just noticed that my previous thread had a bikely map that showed the ferry to Patonga.

I guess this is an option but I was referring to the (much more regular) ferry from Palm beach to Ettalong.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to pop up a map or whatever and I can try assist if I know the road/area
AndyTheMan

Return to Road Biking