Titanium Road Bikes

For Roadies

Re: Titanium Road Bikes

Postby Comedian » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Chatted to a guy with a lynsky helix today. It looked ok and he seemed happy. Ill admit my eyes glazed a bit when he said it was 7.6kg but I didn't get to ask him about his gear or wheels so that's probably a little unfair.
Comedian

by BNA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:26 pm

BNA

Postby BrisVegas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Comedian wrote:Chatted to a guy with a lynsky helix today. It looked ok and he seemed happy. Ill admit my eyes glazed a bit when he said it was 7.6kg but I didn't get to ask him about his gear or wheels so that's probably a little unfair.

Did it have 32 spoke HED Belgiums on Chris Kings and SRAM Red? Mate of mine's Helix with that setup in XL frame size surprised me, that's for sure.
BrisVegas

Postby Comedian » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

BrisVegas wrote:
Comedian wrote:Chatted to a guy with a lynsky helix today. It looked ok and he seemed happy. Ill admit my eyes glazed a bit when he said it was 7.6kg but I didn't get to ask him about his gear or wheels so that's probably a little unfair.

Did it have 32 spoke HED Belgiums on Chris Kings and SRAM Red? Mate of mine's Helix with that setup in XL frame size surprised me, that's for sure.

It was a very brief rolling encounter. Older gent... Only had it for a month he said.

I think it may have had an SRAM crank but that was all I saw.

I had to chase off after my mates and he didn't follow. ;)
Comedian

Postby barefoot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:40 pm

It's important to realise when talking about a 7.6kg bike that somewhere upward of 6.5kg of that weight isn't the frame.

Those same components, taken off the ~1.2 kg Lynsky frame and hypothetically bolted up to a 2.4 kg Long Haul Trucker frame, would still weigh in at a very respectable 8.8kg. World's lightest (and least practical) touring bike? :lol:

Of course, the frame is a relatively straightforward place to save or add several hundred grams of bike weight... but it's only one place. Wheels are usually heavier than the frame (even without tyres, tubes, rim strips, QR, cassette).

tim
barefoot

Previous

Return to Road Biking