Vander's Tour to Canberra

vander

Re: Vander's Tour to Canberra

Postby vander » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Chuck wrote:Who did your fit? Cost?
I went to Matt Mckewen at Parkside physio in Engadine. Fair way to travel for but I would much rather be seen by a physio then some bloke being told what to do by a computer. Cost was 275 but I got 130 back from health insurance so fitted for sub 150 happy with that.

Dont tell me Twizzle that I hate fiddling with my seat cause it so damn hard to get the tilt right and new seatpost and saddle would cost too much. Anyway booked in to see him next week to get fitted to the TT bars so it will be interesting to see what he says. On another note 120km today 5 gorges and no knee pain, and lots of PBs which is a good thing. My weight got down to 75.6 yesterday then to my surprise after my ride I was 74.6 (it was recovery ride and I did not drink enough), so everything is starting to look good again. Got to try and hit 75 by Monday to be on target so still need to be careful with my eating.

vander

Postby vander » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:26 pm

So last 2 days have been massive. 120km with a bit over 2000m of climbing on Friday morning then raced track Friday night. Then today did 130km with 2300m of climbing, so now I am smashed. Todays ride I didnt really have anything felt really flat, however this is about training to be able to back up from one day to the next so perfect training for Canberra I think. The 34+ degree heat I rode in today didnt help. Good news no knee pain, its only every other part of my body that is sore now. Easy day tomorrow cant wait for it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:05 pm

That's good news vander... Good if it is just your knees getting used to the load and not a injury problem.
So you going to dish some power to weight numbers with all this climbing you've been doing?.

vander

Postby vander » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote:That's good news vander... Good if it is just your knees getting used to the load and not a injury problem.
So you going to dish some power to weight numbers with all this climbing you've been doing?.
Hoping ill get some nice numbers soon. Today's climbs were done pretty easy as I was smashed but yesterday I did 300W, 322W, 295W, 280W then trying to max I only managed 325W. Last one I was fairly dehydrated and hadn't eaten enough I pushed really hard but just couldn't do it. All about 10min hills at about 75kg so that puts me at about 4W/kg (I used 300W as rough average). First 4 were submax but hard efforts. Still best 10min climbs for me has been 355W which I am hoping will get up to about 400W by Canberra. However Canberra is approaching faster then I would like. Coming off a bit of sickness (never really eventuated just got fatigued and had a few 12hour day sleeps) I am not too unhappy with how I am going. Big test next week at Calga TT. Going to do a big one on Saturday again to keep practicing TTing fatigued, however I think next week Friday will be a more relaxed ride.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Weighed in this morning at 75.6 600g behind goal still but after being 1.5kg behind last week pretty happy with my week. Another week of consistent effort should have me hitting my goal. Interestingly over the weekend with the 2 big rides my body went all weird (weight wise) and I got up to 79kg (and I was extremely hungry all the time) and now after yesterday off it seems to have pretty much dropped the lot. Anyway last week of uni holidays then it gets interesting fitting everything in around uni. Also now thinking I might do Bathurst to Blayney but not 100% sure yet being the week before Canberra it might be a good test for form and good practice at climbing fast in groups.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:03 pm

vander wrote:Weighed in this morning at 75.6 600g behind goal still but after being 1.5kg behind last week pretty happy with my week. Another week of consistent effort should have me hitting my goal. Interestingly over the weekend with the 2 big rides my body went all weird (weight wise) and I got up to 79kg (and I was extremely hungry all the time) and now after yesterday off it seems to have pretty much dropped the lot. Anyway last week of uni holidays then it gets interesting fitting everything in around uni. Also now thinking I might do Bathurst to Blayney but not 100% sure yet being the week before Canberra it might be a good test for form and good practice at climbing fast in groups.
Sounds like you didnt drink enough on the rides, when hunger hits it can mean dehydration; plus weight up = water retention as the body is holding onto water. who knows but just drink and drink. After my big rides I buy those drinking coconuts from Harris Farms or a good grocer and drink on them.

also; do the B2B would be great to meet you and also ride with ya!
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Raced B grade out at Penrith tonight and had a fair bit of fun. Wasnt the toughest race but to though for me to sit off the front. Average power 240W which I have held for 3.5 hours which explains why I feel I could do it again. Normalised was a bit higher at 283. The race started out quite slow. So as I usually do I got bored and decided to jump off the front. I sat off the front for a lap (5km) before I realised that noone was coming to join me (this brought about my 6min peak of 335AP 349NP) I was right on the limit and not going anywhere so I decided to sit up. I feel if I had 2 or 3 more people I would of been able to get away. Then I just sat in the first few and spent a bit of time on the front. When the whistle went for the prime I was back about mid pack so I moved up on the northern straight I found myself in the first few a bit too early (2km from the line) one guy wanted to try and go off the front so I joined him and we got about 20m but the bunch was chasing then 3 came flying past again I jumped on the back but through the S bends the guy infront of me could not hold the pace and sat up we lost about 20-30m through the bends so I sat up also then when we were about 100m from the line one of the guys that I was chatting to before the race came past and said its time to go, so I picked up the pace and we had a group of about 6 or so off the front but the group was too big and we were shut down pretty quickly. From that point I just decided to sit in and just do a little work on the front when my time came. Doing this I felt fine was sitting in pretty easy then all of a sudden the bell went, this was apparently time for everyone to sit up. Last lap was really slow and a guy went off the front with about 2/3 of a lap to go. They just let him go. Noone wanted to work and everyone wanted a sprint. I was sitting up near the front on a pretty good wheel (the guy that won the prime) and I was not letting it up but there was a lot of pushing and shoving and yelling and most the time people were 3 or 4 wide. It was really quite bad I was still in a good position coming into the S bends pretty much where I wanted to be but the guy off the front still had about 100-150m and still noone was chasing. Just before the S bends the pace lifted again but on the inside and I was caught in a bit of the wrong spot but it was ok I still had a good wheel but this is where it all went down hill the first right of the S bends it was about 4 or 5 wide that the guy on my left completely cut me off as he clearly wanted to ride apex to apex it was stupid by him I cant believe how little people care about crashing its only a club B grade race so I had to slam on my breaks, if I did not I would of hit him. I lifted the pace again through the S bends (it had strung out a little now as most riders I think figured it was too dangerous) but coming out of the S bends I was atleast 20m off (in around 10th place) probably more but I put in a big effort and came flying home for 5th (I thought I might of got 4th but wasnt sure) however I was going so much faster then anyone else at the end if it was 50m further I would of got second actually if it was 20m further I probably would of got second. It was good to see I had a lot of pace but it sucked getting cut off through the corners the guy whos wheel I had came out of the corners in 5th position and got 3nd so I was on a really good wheel. The kid that broke away with 2/3 of a lap to go won but he was only 10m ahead at the end.

In the sprint I hit 1250W but held 1200W for 10seconds and over 1000W for 20seconds. Hit 62km/h into a crosshead wind. It was just too little too late after losing so much in the S bends. Anyway pleased with my efforts proved if I was on the right wheel I could easily have won. Pretty fun race and it was good to try and bit of a pushing and shoving sprint though im not going to risk a crash for a club race it made me realise what the pros have to put up with and im sure for them its much worse.

Edit: Strava said I hit 67.5 so I think I will go with that :P.

@addict if I race B2B I will only be doing the 110 as that is what team I will sign up with but at the moment its more about how it fits in with the program. I think I drank plenty on the Sat (although it was extremely hot) but on the Friday I didnt drink anywhere near enough and that may have really cost me.

Another Edit: If I keep my last 5 weeks up this week I should hit 130CTL (I think CTL is a 6week thing) really liking the sound of that.

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Sounds like the normal penrith carnage. I don't particuliarly enjoy the carnage in the bends especially after racing at other courses....did waratahs on Sunday in B and found it great fun. And a good organized crowd. Anyway had to go to Adelade for work on Monday and managed to come home with a new Fuji sst. What a wonderfully understanding wife. Was $1200 bucks off so couldn't walk past. Just can't wait to race now. :D

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi mate,have sent you a message on here ...have a read......

vander

Postby vander » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Porridgewog wrote:Hi mate,have sent you a message on here ...have a read......
Must of sent it to the wrong person I havent got one :? . BTW nice new ride, I like the look of Fuji's.

vander

Postby vander » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:10 pm

So my riding has dropped right off as I have just been feeling a lot of fatigue, I have been sleeping 10 or so hours a night for 2 weeks and still am extremely tired. I am still going out to calga tomorrow but no big hopes I really cant see it going well. I went to the doctors today and got a blood test and I should find out mid next week how it all goes, the doctor thought it might be glandular fever, I hope its just nothing and I just needed a few days off. Pretty sick of feeling like crap.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:15 pm

For a start, change your mind set, this in it's self, will set you back! :idea:

If it does turn out to be Glangular fever, then you need to listen and adhere to someone, that knows what they are talking about! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:32 pm

vander wrote: I have been sleeping 10 or so hours a night for 2 weeks and still am extremely tired.
Hey Vander. Sorry to hear that. I know you want to be a champion. An attribute of being a champion is patience, I hear. Don't give up the dream, but I guess it might take a bit longer to get there. It takes 7 years to become a cyclist apparently.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:51 pm

I would love to see a picture of your CTL ramp rate... Post up a pic of your training peaks file for the last 3 months. I think it would be pretty obvious if you hit it to hard.
Couple with hard dieting....

vander

Postby vander » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 pm

The whole one looks something like this.
Last 90 days something like this.

The gaps are due to mostly HR/Garmin problems not periods of no training. Also this is mostly baised on HR TSS not powermeter not sure how it would compare.

The big reason why im worried is my training partners GF got glandular fever (or got diagnosed a few weeks ago) and I have been known to have sips from his drink bottles, I have also displayed most the signs of it, really praying its not and I wake up tomorrow feeling great.

TLL I have never really dieted much at all only a day or 2 here and there of actually focusing I have mostly lost weight from not going to the gym anymore (lost a lot of arms chest and back) and just by exercise.
Foo the problem is with Glandular fever there is not a lot you can do for it just have to wait it out.
FT they say its takes 10years to be a professional, I say challenge accepted :)

Still wait for the results and take it from there. If I dont have it I have just had a pretty good recovery week.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:28 pm

I think you need an avatar.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:34 pm

Another thing Vander, while I am an angry ant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love too be involved in you progress, to being a good/elite rider but if you don't listen to those that missed their opportunity when,
they were young and showing potential, like you do, then I will be be extremly disapointed!

If you have not... taken any slurps from your mates biddon or been bitten by a mozzie, that sucked his blood, then you should have no worries. :wink:

Like I said, I am an angry ant at the moment and am not having a go at you but I think that you have the potenial, to make a real go at things
and have only your interests at heart> :wink:

None of the graphs means anyting thing to me, because these were not around when I was racing. I personally believe there is to much emphasis on
this unless, you have reached the elite level. :(

Let those that think otherwise howl me down but I am not alone in this thinking, for up and coming talent. :wink:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Did you get your power meter about the 11th of jan?.If you did...were you training at a similar rate before hand?.
Because there is a lot of long periods below 0 for your TSB (and you say there are some gaps in the data)... a lot depends though on how accurate your ftp was estimated as well.
Doesn't look like too hard a ramp to be honest... but reading your training that you have been doing seems to say otherwise.
My opinion now that you have a power meter is to get a well regarded cycling coach if you want to see how far you can push it. Talk to someone like Alex, get them to review what you have done and get you back on track...and listen to your body!.
PS...I need to listen to my own advise every so often too... too much fun hammering :D .

vander

Postby vander » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:06 pm

I was doing identical training before and after getting the Powertap not sure exaclty when I got it but im pretty sure it was more like the start of Feb not Jan. The ramp is not too bad, I was just starting to feel comfortable doing the long hours before I got sick.

@Foo I dont quite get what you are saying. Is it I need to listen to my body and not watch graphs and look at numbers all the time I know that. I do understand my mindset is a bit average at the moment, working on that not easy when you feel run down.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Yeah pretty hard to say then looking at the graphs... if you have only been on the PT for a couple of weeks it will not be very accurate yet unless your starting CTL was really well estimated.
Anyway I think a mixture of looking at the charts and listening to your body is the best thing...especially after a while when listen to the body lines up with what you are seeing in the charts.
Anyway hopefully the bloods are good... then once recovered look at the long term.It's your first year... you have still got big gains to come!.

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:16 am

Mate, everyone has periods of when they feel crap/ less power etc. I just went through a phase of feeling very weak and no power in my legs but have started feeling better in last cpl weeks ( to the point of doing some of my best efforts on fave routes). Think the advice theme is to know you feel crap and have the patience to work through is without flogging yourself....nothing is constant and you might just be in a phase of lower performance....all will come good. Lots of viruses about can knock you for a little while not just glandular fever.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:01 am

Yep, that's what I am saying. You're feeling run down for a reason and you need to adjust your riding habits for a while. :wink:

From what I'm seeing on here and another forum, there becomes a mind set with power metre stats and when you don't see
the same results or better on the same courses, then you start thinking you're not going as well. So you start having negative thoughts
about why and this continues to play on your mind. :idea: Never underestimate the power of your mind. :wink:

Anyway I am not an angry ant this morning so that's a good thing. :mrgreen:
Foo
Goal 6000km

vander

Postby vander » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:42 am

Woke up this morning feeling pretty good so I busted my guts and rolled over the line almost at vomit threshold, for 43min, disappointing but just going to take a step back now and reevaluate what to do. To be honest not sure what to do from here needless to say I need to cut back but Ill need to do a lot of thinking and talking to people to see what to drop and what to keep trying to do.

Didnt ride with a HRM cause I didnt want to see the numbers I kept my powertap on but didnt look at it much, to be honest I went a little flat in the middle as I felt like I was going no where and despite the bike fit I still had pain in my hip when in TT position, maybe need more time in position to get used to it? Oh well I said to myself I wasnt going to get disappointed at a bad results the only thing im disappointed about is there is something wrong with me.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:35 pm

vander wrote:just going to take a step back now and reevaluate what to do.
Don't forget to think about the positives while you're at it :) . You're already riding at a level higher than some of us who've been at it for a few years now. Your PB at Calga is excellent (given how long you've been riding) and you're very competitive in B Grade at places like Penrith and Marconi which imho are of a very competitive club standard. I've no doubt you could sit in the main bunch of most club A races in Sydney already. You've come a long way in less than a year 8) don't forget that, be encouraged by that :idea:
vander wrote:To be honest not sure what to do from here
It's your call of course, but maybe TLL's advice could be taken into consideration
toolonglegs wrote: get a well regarded cycling coach if you want to see how far you can push it.
I know you're a student and money is an issue but you can get plans that are relatively cheap. I believe you outline your goals (such as Tour of Canberra in your case) and the plans a tailored specifically to those goals. The downside would be the limited feedback you'd receive. I could be wrong about this and if I am I'm sure someone will correct me.

Anyway don't get discouraged, there's quite a few of us on here enjoying your progress.
FPR Ragamuffin

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Vander :-) .... Feels like crap and goes and does a TT ... The roast is burnt ;-)