Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

ray

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby ray » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:43 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Yep I emailed farsports and they can make me some track wheels using Novatech track hubs, Sapim CX-ray spokes and FSC50-TM rims. Quoted $533 for a set not including shipping and paypal fee which seems pretty good.
Hi Andrew,

I had a set (clinchers) built up back in May and received them at the beginning of July. This is what I ordered:

Item No.: FSC50-CM
Rim: full carbon 50mm clincher 20/24H (FSL50-CM) with Basalt brake track
Hubs: Novatec track hub (Novatec 565-566SBT),black

Spoke: Sapim cx-ray (black)
Nipple: Sapim (SILS) in RED
App: 3k matt finish
Weight: 1640g(+/-30g) each set

FOB Price: US $563 each set + $60 shipping

I don't use them for track - only road/commuting. I have done 100km on them and they feel light (around 1650 I think - no rim tape, tube or tyres) and quick compared to my stock wheels which are very heavy 50mm alloy wheels (1.4kg lighter!).

The Novatec track hub is the only option available. They are fixed on one side and free on the other. I asked for 2x lacing on the rear as the standard build will be 2x on DS and no cross on NDS which will be better if wanting to flip the wheel. Another option if you want a even stronger wheel is go for the N series rims - I believe they are slightly heavier but stronger.

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:57 pm

Magpie wrote:Hi
I've got a set of 50mm Farsport clinchers that I'm very happy with,but I don't use them if doing hills rides such as Cootha/Glorious due to a lingering concern with braking induced overheating.
For these rides I put the DA C24s back on
Am I being too cautious ,what do others do?
M
Hello Magpie, your ideas seems considerate, but our 50mm clincher with good basalt brake surface, using a good anti-high temperature resin, so if it is not having a long time downhill ride, i think it is very ok for brake.

Brs
kyle

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:11 am

Arlberg wrote:
kylefoo wrote:guys who get query or question let me know. get improved when communicating with everybody here.
kyle
Far Sports Wheels.
Some questions for Kylefoo,

1. Your website is http://www.farsports.cn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but there is also a newer site, http://www.farsports.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Is http://www.farsports.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a phishing site of the original site, or is it sanctioned by farsports.cn?
Dear Arlberg, good questions.
1. yeah, farsports.com is our new site, farsports.cn is old one, both can be used, because many of our clients still donot know our new site, need time to broadcast, so we would not close the old in short time.
2. 50mm clincher with alloy brake will be in our business line in the near future, it largely depends on how many of its enthusiast. but i think 38mm and the 50mm donot have a big difference.
3. usually, if one buy one set of wheels, 2sets of brake pads and 1set of skewer will be matched freely, your ideas sound good, if some one need more extra sets, i will pass your ideas.

brs
kyle

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:22 am

ray wrote: I had a set (clinchers) built up back in May and received them at the beginning of July. This is what I ordered:
Item No.: FSC50-CM
Rim: full carbon 50mm clincher 20/24H (FSL50-CM) with Basalt brake track
Hubs: Novatec track hub (Novatec 565-566SBT),black
Ray, according to your post, i found you are very familiar with our wheels.
but now our ship cost is raising as many of express here highly raising the cost.

kyle

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:20 am

kylefoo (or anyone else for that matter) i'm wondering what the differences are between the various road frames on the website, only some of them have geometry charts and no descriptions so i don't know what's what?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

coxy4130

Postby coxy4130 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:14 pm

hi there, just wanna show you a pic of my ebay special. 56cm chinarello frame, carbon bars, 60mm carbon clinchers, shimano 105 groupset, carbon bottle holders. all up the to build it from parts it came in under $2800. Ive had it over 12 months now and not a single thing has gone wrong with it. it gets ridden nearly every day and im pushing 100kg. not bad for chinese carbon i think.

<image broken>

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm not far off of ordering a set of 50mm carbon tubulars for racing.

Is it worth the extra cash for straight pull spokes, are they better than the standard spokes?

Also with the Far sports rims which hubs were dodgy, hubsmith or bitex?

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:16 pm

bosvit wrote:Also with the Far sports rims which hubs were dodgy, hubsmith or bitex?
Hubsmith I believe:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 25#p823484

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Cheers Kirky, I didn't go back enough pages :oops:

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:36 pm

bosvit wrote:I'm not far off of ordering a set of 50mm carbon tubulars for racing.

Is it worth the extra cash for straight pull spokes, are they better than the standard spokes?

Also with the Far sports rims which hubs were dodgy, hubsmith or bitex?
Hi Bosvit, yeah, hubsmith is few supplied by us. but we have other brands for choice (ED hub, ED ceramic, FAR hub, Bitex, Novatec, Chosen).
if you choose straight pull spokes, we here only has Yuhub can match. whose price is similar to building with ED hub.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:32 am

kylefoo wrote:
Arlberg wrote:
kylefoo wrote:guys who get query or question let me know. get improved when communicating with everybody here.
kyle
Far Sports Wheels.
2. 50mm clincher with alloy brake will be in our business line in the near future, it largely depends on how many of its enthusiast. but i think 38mm and the 50mm donot have a big difference.
brs
kyle
Hello Kylefoo

Yes well if Farsports do decide to produce the 50mm clinchers with aluminium braking surface (Maybe they will be called FSC50-CA)? I would by some. I think they would be very popular. I believe the FSC50-CM carbon clinchers are your biggest selling clincher wheels, and that is with the relative inconvenience of requiring special brake pads etc. Carbon wheels generally don't always stop very well, especially in wet weather. So I think a 50mm clincher with an aluminium braking surface will be very popular. The weight is very important, and the weight is really all that customers are interested in. They have to be very light.

Kylefoo, can you tell us how much weight the aluminum braking surface adds to a set of your wheels? The FCS -38CA is advertised at 1360gm a pair, which is about 60gm more than the FCS -38CM. Can we assume a FCS -50CA would weigh only about 60gm more than the FCS -50CM, or about 1420gm for a FCS -50CA wheelset?

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:18 am

arlberg. i am running 60mm carbon clinchers using swisstop yellow, and i can stop as well as my alloy rims with dura ace pads.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 am

My Mates full carbon Ebay bike

he's tried to post but not sure what's happened

here's some info on it

hi there, just wanna show you a pic of my ebay special. 56cm chinarello frame, carbon bars, 60mm carbon clinchers shimano 105 groupset, carbon bottle holders. all up the to build it from parts it came in under $2800. Ive had it over 12 months now and not a single thing has gone wrong with it. it gets ridden nearly every day and im on the good side of 100kg. not bad for chinese carbon i think.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:02 pm

poohkies wrote:My Mates full carbon Ebay bike

he's tried to post but not sure what's happened

here's some info on it

hi there, just wanna show you a pic of my ebay special. 56cm chinarello frame, carbon bars, 60mm carbon clinchers shimano 105 groupset, carbon bottle holders. all up the to build it from parts it came in under $2800. Ive had it over 12 months now and not a single thing has gone wrong with it. it gets ridden nearly every day and im on the good side of 100kg. not bad for chinese carbon i think.

Looks tuff.
Maybe a 58cm would have been a better fit?
$2800 seems allot?

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Arlberg wrote: Kylefoo, can you tell us how much weight the aluminum braking surface adds to a set of your wheels? The FCS -38CA is advertised at 1360gm a pair, which is about 60gm more than the FCS -38CM. Can we assume a FCS -50CA would weigh only about 60gm more than the FCS -50CM, or about 1420gm for a FCS -50CA wheelset?
Arlberg, yeah, the alloy brake do well make up the shortage of carbon brake, we decide to engage in 50CA and 24CA series but not now. actually our 38CA is around 1380g/set, i assume 50CA will be 1450g/set +/- 20g. this is our new business line, which will be more perfect in weight as the time going i think.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Perhaps he bought the groupset locally? Shimano charge $1000 for the 105 groupset locally...

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:23 pm

Crawf wrote:
Looks tuff.
Maybe a 58cm would have been a better fit?
$2800 seems allot?
it does get called the bat bike :P pretty sweet ride!

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:29 pm

Does any one like to give me some explains of lefty hub? if so, the common hubs we use are called righty hubs?
what is the differene. tks.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:47 pm

kylefoo wrote:Does any one like to give me some explains of lefty hub? if so, the common hubs we use are called righty hubs?
what is the differene. tks.
A lefty hub is the type used with a Cannondale Lefty fork that only has one leg
ImageImage

As far as I know, there is no such thing a a righty hub.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:02 pm

kylefoo wrote:
Arlberg wrote: Kylefoo, can you tell us how much weight the aluminum braking surface adds to a set of your wheels? The FCS -38CA is advertised at 1360gm a pair, which is about 60gm more than the FCS -38CM. Can we assume a FCS -50CA would weigh only about 60gm more than the FCS -50CM, or about 1420gm for a FCS -50CA wheelset?
Arlberg, yeah, the alloy brake do well make up the shortage of carbon brake, we decide to engage in 50CA and 24CA series but not now. actually our 38CA is around 1380g/set, i assume 50CA will be 1450g/set +/- 20g. this is our new business line, which will be more perfect in weight as the time going i think.
so your not doing a 24mm alloy brake surface wheelset??

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:16 pm

[/quote] so your not doing a 24mm alloy brake surface wheelset??[/quote]

I want them to make the 50mm aero carbon with alloy brake surface wheelset....

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:02 am

Thanks for Ozdavo's detailed explain, very impressively.
yeah, we havenot offered 24mm depth with alloy brake so far.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:07 pm

are you going to make them?? im looking for a set of carbon 24mm and would buy yours if you made them

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:08 pm

dale79 wrote:are you going to make them?? im looking for a set of carbon 24mm and would buy yours if you made them
Shimano RS80 C24s can be had for less than $500.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

PerthNewbie

XDS frame?

Postby PerthNewbie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Hey everyone.
Was looking for a new bike and went into TBE, they were keen on selling this, http://www.tbe.com.au/bikes/road/amiata ... 10226.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to some other LBS's the frame is most likely rubbish.
After a little investigative work I found the frame was made by this company
http://www.xds-carbon.com/products.asp? ... lass_id=13#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think it was this frame specifically
http://www.xds-carbon.com/products_view.asp?cp_id=92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone had any experience with this company? I know its not going to be a great frame but how will it compare to other brands?