Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

mitchy_

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Light Bicycle list they can do their rims from 16 to 36 hole.

http://www.light-bicycle.com/wider-carb ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.light-bicycle.com/wider-carb ... -sale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.light-bicycle.com/wider-700c ... -rims.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:25 am

I'm running the LB 88mm deep 23mm wide tubs on my track bike with 28hole to DA hubs. Nice rims! And you can spec without the brake track for a cleaner look on the track.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:28 am

brawlo wrote:I'm running the LB 88mm deep 23mm wide tubs on my track bike with 28hole to DA hubs. Nice rims! And you can spec without the brake track for a cleaner look on the track.
i've got the 45mm deep, 25mm wide U-shaped clinchers with no brake track for a disc brake setup. looks the goods.

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Whats the general consensus on these bikes and wheels? I've read a few wheels have delaminated which sort of turned me away from nearly ordering some a while back. I'd like to believe the factories in china today can produce quality stuff especially in the last few years where some have closed due to many results resulting from their inferior products.

cost seems reasonable enough but are these safe for a spirited ride on the weekend or even daily commuting?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:53 pm

wgc138 wrote:Whats the general consensus on these bikes and wheels? I've read a few wheels have delaminated which sort of turned me away from nearly ordering some a while back. I'd like to believe the factories in china today can produce quality stuff especially in the last few years where some have closed due to many results resulting from their inferior products.

cost seems reasonable enough but are these safe for a spirited ride on the weekend or even daily commuting?
they are different - there are numerous manufacturers. you can't lump them all in as 'good' or 'bad'.

i bought a HongFu frame and fork and so far - no problems. it's a pretty light frame and all of the trimmings (cable runners, BB shell, etc.) are A1.

even high-end, top brand carbon wheels have been known to delaminate if you ride the brakes down a big mountain.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:55 pm

I've had my fair share of these wheels, the only area I have doubts in is on looooong descents requiring constant brake application, other than that they perform just a as well as anything twice the price and more.
So unless you're descending Falls Creek every day they should be ok.
Even the big names delaminate. Use what's fit for purpose.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:36 pm

if you don't want to worry about delamination, just get one with an aluminium track

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:37 pm

defy1 wrote:if you don't want to worry about delamination, just get one with an aluminium track
that's no guarantee. the heat is still transferred to the carbon parts of the wheel, which can still delaminate.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:04 pm

wgc138 wrote:Whats the general consensus on these bikes and wheels? I've read a few wheels have delaminated which sort of turned me away from nearly ordering some a while back. I'd like to believe the factories in china today can produce quality stuff especially in the last few years where some have closed due to many results resulting from their inferior products.

if you stick with one of the more common chinese brands, you shouldn't have many issues.
mine is ridden 5-6 days a week... i prefer it to my other brand name bike.

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:00 pm

appreciate the replies, there are certainly a few brands that have my genuine interests. Its certainly very tempting considering a branded frame that I'm currently looking at which by the name implies that's made by a monk in one of the european alps using closely guarded process which ends up costing nearly 3-4 times as much as these frames from China. Anyway these branded frame is made in taiwan

Who are the big players these days?

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:34 pm

Not wanting to have a plain black bike, I'm thinking of getting a custom paint job. What are people's experience with getting text put on the frame, especially if they got it wrong (spelling in particular) initially? Or is it best to just get a basic design without text, where it'll still looks good if they get it slightly wrong?

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:10 pm

lobstermash wrote:Not wanting to have a plain black bike, I'm thinking of getting a custom paint job. What are people's experience with getting text put on the frame, especially if they got it wrong (spelling in particular) initially? Or is it best to just get a basic design without text, where it'll still looks good if they get it slightly wrong?
you approve the design before it's painted, so you're the spell checker.
that said, from all reports the paint jobs are usually pretty good.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:57 pm

Has anyone else got a Dengfu FM011 (on Aliexpress it's FM021)? I ended up ordering one of these instead of the FM066, as they offered me a pretty good deal on it. I can't find any info on the frame anywhere and it seems to be a new-ish design. The geo of the 52 seems to be spot on for me, so I couldn't resist.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:58 am

lobstermash wrote:Has anyone else got a Dengfu FM011 (on Aliexpress it's FM021)? I ended up ordering one of these instead of the FM066, as they offered me a pretty good deal on it. I can't find any info on the frame anywhere and it seems to be a new-ish design. The geo of the 52 seems to be spot on for me, so I couldn't resist.
Interested to see the photos when you get it. Looks good.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:30 am

Here's the design pic... Drivetrain on the wrong side and everything LOL

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:30 am

Looks 99% FM066?

My FM011.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Pretty close to the FM066 for sure. Main differences seem to the fork and cable route, which makes it look slightly boxier (I should also note even more like an R5...). Yours looks pretty sweet. How does it ride?
Last edited by lobstermash on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:12 pm

Token marketing speak but true: stiff where it needs to be, but very absorbent, compliant and comfy in the rear, the thin seat-stays make a difference.

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:43 am

are the FM001's replicas of dogma?

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:28 pm

wgc138 wrote:are the FM001's replicas of dogma?
If by replica you mean that they look a little like it, then yes. There are usually at least subtle differences and the carbon layup may or may not be anything like what was used on the 'original'. The usual line from proponents of generic frames is that they should be judged on their own merits, rather than compared with the mainstream bikes that they might share some resemblance to.

I gotta say I'm very excited in anticipation of my new frame, especially as I've just ordered the groupset (5800) for it!

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:00 pm

It's here and it's built! Image

Was a pretty straightforward affair. The only snags I came across in building it up were with the BB (thanks to Shimano's plastic insert not fitting in my BB, and the old BB from the bike it's replacing not wanting to come out), cable stops (only three of the entry/exit points had cable stops - brake entry and derailleur entries - so finally figured out I should swap the brake cable stop with the rd exit through-plug), and the damned seat post (never seen one of these 2-bolt posts before, and couldn't figure out how to angle the saddle forward enough - the front bolt was too long so I removed about 5mm off the end and I was able to get the saddle perfectly level). All up, with heavy cheapie pedals and saddle, plus alloy bars and stem, it's about 8.3kg.

A mostly pleasant little adventure and I even got a bit of daylight at the end to do a quick ~10km test ride. It'll take a while to get used to the groupset (I'm really not a fan of compacts, and the first ride had me questioning whether 11 is too many cogs, but I do like the shift feel and especially the shifting on the front) but the frame is very responsive and fit couldn't be more perfect. It's going to be a long and happy relationship, methinks.

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:22 pm

^^ That is so awesome

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:14 pm

Its very yellow Lob! You are gunna need the matching yellow sunnies to go with it :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:03 am

Double post
Last edited by lobstermash on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:04 am

Double post
Last edited by lobstermash on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.