Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

AndrewBurns

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:50 pm

PawPaw wrote:
ray wrote:Interesting, was reading a blog entry http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/20 ... e-job.html from November Bicycles
thanks for that link Ray. Good reading to keep in context the physical limits of carbon rims. I've found it difficult to get beneath the marketing and industry hype about carbon products. Obviously wheel manufacturers are not interested in publishing the objective limitations of their products.

My goal is to keep using my Farsports 50mm cc's for all purposes (race, group, randonneur), and see how they wear. However, now, if I know I'm going to do a lot of descents, I'll ride alloy. I weigh 85, so I'd generate more brake heat than a sub 75kg guy on steeper descents.
Another reason why I like disc brakes on road bikes. I wouldn't have (and haven't) risked Chinese carbon clinchers with my road bike with rim brakes but I didn't have a problem getting some for my CX commuting bike with disc brakes because nothing is touching the rim during normal use. Not trying to turn this into a great brakes debate but disc brakes solve the primary problem with carbon wheels IMO (yes at the expense of weight but I think there are other advantages that make it worth it).

Farsports 29er wheels have covered another 50km to and from work. Keep in mind this is on a 12.5kg bike (empty) with some weight in a bag on the rear rack so the wheels are a little more loaded than usual and I ride roads at pretty good speeds. Bombed a hill at about 62kph on the way home today and braked into a roundabout at the bottom without fear, I took a speed hump at 50kph and rode over a fair bit of rough ground at 40+, no problems wheels feel nice and smooth.

Big Lance

Postby Big Lance » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:58 pm

PawPaw wrote:
Big Lance wrote:I'll get in on that please.
After thinking about it, rather than wait for a group of people to come forth, and put in a common order, I thought it might be easier if everyone contacts Smart via his email address sales7@farsports.cn , and mention you are a BNA member, and PawPaw said to contact you re a discounted order. At this point the discount would be small. To get a bigger one, I presume they will want 6+ orders, but this may take several months to materialize via the BNA forum.

Smart already knows several people from BNA forum have bought wheels. The more we bring it to his attention how much business is being generated through info sharing on the forum, the more seriously BNA members will be taken as customers. BTW, I am not getting kick backs.
I'm in no rush i'll wait a few weeks and see how much interest there is.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:27 am

More bling-ier

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:33 pm

OK so I bought the rims only and built them up myself, came in at 1355g for 28/32h. Bit overkill on the spoke count for 38mm but I already had the hubs.
200km's on them know and they are great, built with virtually the widest hubs available so it would be hard to get a stiffer wheelset. 1x (heads in) on the front, 3x on the rear.
Bit dirty now so not so shiny, sh*tty iphone pics sorry...

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Cool Crawf. Now a can of black spray paint to the groupset, and you are 100% stealth.
How'd you get your pics grouped like that?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:05 am

AndrewBurns wrote: ..Farsports 29er wheels have covered another 50km to and from work. Keep in mind this is on a 12.5kg bike (empty) with some weight in a bag on the rear rack so the wheels are a little more loaded than usual and I ride roads at pretty good speeds. Bombed a hill at about 62kph on the way home today and braked into a roundabout at the bottom without fear, I took a speed hump at 50kph and rode over a fair bit of rough ground at 40+, no problems wheels feel nice and smooth.

Pics please :D

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 am

I am waiting for someone else to report the results of multiple bunny hops before attempting one myself.

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 pm

nickobec wrote:
Crawf wrote:nicobec, are you looking at an FM066?
Whats it going to cost you?
Paid invoice today of 701USD for for FM066 superlight 56cm including seatpost, headset, spacers, spare dérailleur hanger, delivery to Australia & paypal fees

frame weight: 850+/-20g
fork weight: 370+/-15g
27.2mm seatpost weight: 190+/-15g

still probably 30 days before I get my hands on it
Hey Nickobec, when the frame arrives if possible could you post the actual weight and fit and finish appraisal?
I am interested in getting the FM066 superlight in either 56 or 58.
I also would be interested in a forum group buy if this eventuates
What finish are you getting? I would like the matte UD finish myself.

Cheers
Sambo

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 pm

sambo3 wrote:when the frame arrives if possible could you post the actual weight and fit and finish appraisal?
I am interested in getting the FM066 superlight in either 56 or 58.
I also would be interested in a forum group buy if this eventuates
What finish are you getting? I would like the matte UD finish myself.
There will be a bunch of photos and a report on the frame, the build process and the first ride and races here and over at velobuild.

Matte UD finish is what I am getting, keeping it simple, uncluttered, light weight climbing machine, unlike it's rider.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I just looked at Hongfu, silly me. Now I'm dreaming of theFM089 disc equipped CX frame to replace the 'Dale...
Thanks. :P

I just searched on Hongfu FM089. You're an evil man :evil: :lol:

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:23 pm

[/quote]

There will be a bunch of photos and a report on the frame, the build process and the first ride and races here and over at velobuild.

Matte UD finish is what I am getting, keeping it simple, uncluttered, light weight climbing machine, unlike it's rider.[/quote]

Great, it will be interesting how close to weight it comes in at and how it rides.
Let us all know when she arrives.

cheers
Sambo

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:48 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:I just looked at Hongfu, silly me. Now I'm dreaming of theFM089 disc equipped CX frame to replace the 'Dale...

:innocent face: Why would that be?

I wonder if anybody'd like to buy a 'Dale SIX frame and brakes...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:31 pm

nickobec wrote:

Matte UD finish is what I am getting, keeping it simple, uncluttered, light weight climbing machine, unlike it's rider.
nick, you have an eta on delivery? Im tossing up if should wait on peoples builds/reviews or just bite the bullet on one as well.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:19 pm

jaseyjase wrote:nick, you have an eta on delivery? Im tossing up if should wait on peoples builds/reviews or just bite the bullet on one as well.
30 working days from payment (14 June) + shipping time, so by early August, which is when I have a couple of weeks of leave scheduled, to build it up and test ride, plus 3 races on the lumpy Wandi circuit 6 weeks from mid August.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:49 pm

If there's someone here using the email moniker or name Kyhil, Smart from FS says he's sent you three emails in response to your enquiry.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi PawPaw, Thats me. I've sent him another email letting him know i need to figure out if i can fit it in the finances.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:44 am

Mulger bill wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

:innocent face: Why would that be?

I wonder if anybody'd like to buy a 'Dale SIX frame and brakes...
No thanks already have one..... :wink:

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:55 am

nickobec wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:nick, you have an eta on delivery? Im tossing up if should wait on peoples builds/reviews or just bite the bullet on one as well.
30 working days from payment (14 June) + shipping time, so by early August, which is when I have a couple of weeks of leave scheduled, to build it up and test ride, plus 3 races on the lumpy Wandi circuit 6 weeks from mid August.
My estimate was 60 days... if I was lucky.
I opted for a Normal, not SL though.
But i'm in no rush, I have to pull the cash for Di2 from my a$$ somewhere.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Farsports FSC38-CM update

Saturday 50km handicap race, 25km there and back, which was 5km climb, 40km of undulations (you were either going up or down at an average of 3% for the whole 40km), 5km of descending.

Scared the hell out of myself hitting the lumps in the road at the bottom of the first dip at close 45kmh. Heading back was hitting them closer to 55kmh and not caring, there were people in front I needed to catch.

Any concerns about excess heat build from braking on the downhill, non existent. Only used the brakes to stop after the finish line. Was riding at 60kmh and getting passed, but also passing people.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Sounds like a blast - carbon makes a big bang when they hit something.
First time i hit something thought they were going to explode.

Good racing mate!
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:00 pm

I've put about 1200km on my FS 50mm carbon clinchers so took them back to my LBS wheelbuilder to inspect for any nasties.
just a very minor tweak to true.
rear hubsmith hub in good condition
front hub was a little stiff, but repairable. apparently glue was used to hold the cones together if I got the explanation right. have contacted Smart to find out if their builders use glue on hubs.
rims are showing no signs of fatigue or inappropriate wear.

signs to look for
- true laterally and radially
- use a magnifying glass if necessary - any bubbling or lifting or delam of carbon around spoke holes. this is a sign spoke tension is over stressing the carbon locally.
- uneven brake surface wear
- bubbling or delam or micro cracks on rim sides, especially at joins.
- hubs - stiff/loose or grindy
- creaking from spokes when riding
- spokes feel and sound evenly tensioned.
- space between flange holes and spokes are even all around. no sign of holes getting bigger or deformed or cracks originating from holes.

I've hit a couple of moderate potholes in a road race, and ridden a lot of roughish road, 3 crits, 2 rr's, crit training, and a stack of group and solo road riding. So the wheels are having a fair workout.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:01 am

^ great feedback PP.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Ta. Smart replied today that yes they use glue on the sealed bearing hubs. He said it is used as a sealant. Don't really understand why though.

Arlberg

Carbon wheels and braking

Postby Arlberg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:44 am

Just wondering what brake pad combinations people are using for their full carbon wheels and braking.

Im looking at getting some of these - http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=730 but I am concerned about the braking ability of full carbon wheels generally.

At 1260gm a set they are significantly lighter than Zipp 404s (which are over 1500gm), and around a third of the price. They come supplied with brake pads, just wondering if anyone can share how they brake, and how carbon wheels brake generally.

Some carbon wheels have a band of aluminium around the rim so normal brake pads can be used. Seems like a good idea and why don't more manufacturers do it if braking directly onto carbon is not effective?

toppity

Postby toppity » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:07 am

^^
because it makes them heavier.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.