Page 22 of 40

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 am
by jacks1071
usernameforme wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Round spokes

nothing wrong with that, Sapim Race spokes, DT competition are quality spokes (note that this wheel uses "house-brand" spokes... they look like Pillar's to me, I've personally had good experiences with their spokes)

jacks1071 wrote:shallow box section rim


ala Mavic Ksyrium (yes that is apples to pears a bit...)

jacks1071 wrote:hubs and bearings of unknown quality


I might just be lucky, but the cheap hubs I've bought are pretty nice for the price (Bitex and Novatec) Nothing like Alchemy's or Tune hubs but they work. Not sure how lucky you'll get with those hubs though...

jacks1071 wrote:Don't think a 70kg rider won't break/buckle a flimsy wheel

FWIW: 75kg rider, same rim, 24/28 CX-Rays on Dati hubs, finds it flexy and is often popping spokes. into

For the record, I'm not trying to pick apart your post Jacks1071, just offering another viewpoint


Your not seriously comparing the rim in those photos to a Mavic? Other than the rim depth and maybe the hole count I can't see any similarities.

To make a 24mm rim into a strong wheel you need either really wide hub flanges, or lots of spokes, or re-enforcing on the rim like Shimano and Mavic use.

Any performance wheelset should have at a bare minimum bladed spokes.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:10 am
by usernameforme
jacks1071 wrote:Your not seriously comparing the rim in those photos to a Mavic? Other than the rim depth and maybe the hole count I can't see any similarities.

To make a 24mm rim into a strong wheel you need either really wide hub flanges, or lots of spokes, or re-enforcing on the rim like Shimano and Mavic use.

Any performance wheelset should have at a bare minimum bladed spokes.

No, I'm just saying that box section rims can work, given what you've just posted. I don't agree with the statement about bladed spokes though :?

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:43 pm
by jacks1071
usernameforme wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Your not seriously comparing the rim in those photos to a Mavic? Other than the rim depth and maybe the hole count I can't see any similarities.

To make a 24mm rim into a strong wheel you need either really wide hub flanges, or lots of spokes, or re-enforcing on the rim like Shimano and Mavic use.

Any performance wheelset should have at a bare minimum bladed spokes.

No, I'm just saying that box section rims can work, given what you've just posted. I don't agree with the statement about bladed spokes though :?


Name one "performance" factory wheelset that uses round spokes.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:49 am
by usernameforme
Reynolds Attack, Assualt, Solitude & Strike, or would you not call these "performance" wheels?

I see what you mean about bladed spokes being not so common amongst factory wheels though... I can't think of any others

EDIT: Does oval count as round? I can think of plenty of performance wheels built with oval spokes...

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:11 am
by southeastD
I went out on Sunday with a pair of Mavic Akysium Equipe. There was big head and cross winds, so strong it blew me off balance - I really thought I was going to hit the deck a couple of times. Against the cross winds, I could hear whistling noise coming from the wheels, wonder if this has something to do with the bladed spokes?

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 pm
by toppity
AndrewBurns wrote:
toppity wrote:you tend to get what you pay for I reckon (to some degree), even relatively speaking when talking about Chinese componentry. I'd be buggered if I'd put a set of $249 wheels under me.


Well my Aksiums were $200 new but they're just very heavy, if anything a lot more sturdy than a set of light wheels. So I guess the comment should be buggered if I'd put a set of $249 wheels that weigh under 1800 grams under me :P

you are spot on.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:03 am
by usernameforme
southeastD wrote:I went out on Sunday with a pair of Mavic Akysium Equipe. There was big head and cross winds, so strong it blew me off balance - I really thought I was going to hit the deck a couple of times. Against the cross winds, I could hear whistling noise coming from the wheels, wonder if this has something to do with the bladed spokes?


I've also noticed a whistling noise from bladed spokes. Not sure why that is though...

In regards to being pushed around in the wind, bladed spokes have a larger surface area than a round spoke when the wind is coming from the side. So its likely that they are more effected by cross-winds than oval or round.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:14 am
by Crawf
This seller has a couple of the newer frames, wonder how the BMC copy rides?
Also a very close looking Venge.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:34 am
by MichaelB
Crawf wrote:This seller has a couple of the newer frames, wonder how the BMC copy rides?
Also a very close looking Venge.


Now if only the BMC one had disc tabs, I'd be in like Flynn ....

Can't wait for other road disc bikes to start coming out.

The trickle hasn't started yet, and I'm waiting on my frame. Still. :?

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:52 pm
by usernameforme
Love the "Costelo" name...

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:23 pm
by jacks1071
usernameforme wrote:Reynolds Attack, Assualt, Solitude & Strike, or would you not call these "performance" wheels?

I see what you mean about bladed spokes being not so common amongst factory wheels though... I can't think of any others

EDIT: Does oval count as round? I can think of plenty of performance wheels built with oval spokes...


If I was buying some non Pro-Lite wheels, Reynolds wouldn't be on my list - good spotting though. They are a double butted spoke so quite thin in the middle.

I'm pretty sure everyone else went to bladed spokes sometime ago.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm
by usernameforme
jacks1071 wrote:If I was buying some non Pro-Lite wheels, Reynolds wouldn't be on my list - good spotting though. They are a double butted spoke so quite thin in the middle.

may I ask why? Or do you mean you won't buy them because of the double butted spoke?

jacks1071 wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone else went to bladed spokes sometime ago.

true :? some custom builds still use them though

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 pm
by biker jk
Has anyone done a di2 build on a FM066 frame? I would also look to hear any reviews of this frame (I've seen the one on YouTube).

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:50 am
by kylefoo
ED(ceramic), Bitex hub 2:1ratio hubs are available. :D

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 pm
by toolonglegs
Just pulled the pin on a set of 58/88 wheels... high end Novatech hubs ( know nothing about them )... I suppose they are Novatech rims as well. Local wheel builder who is a good friend of an ex team mate and has built wheels for a couple of other team mates I know who are very happy with them.He was quoting 1325 grams for 50/50 combo... but I said I wasn't too worried about weight at the start of the season as the races are flat and windy and I want to win in breakaways :P ... hence 58/88. 24/28 spoke count... 500€.
Happy with that especially with him being local.
If they are good I will order a set of 38/38 climbing wheels pretty soon after to get me over the big hills which start for me in May :lol: .
Fingers crossed!.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm
by BRLVR.v2
Anyone had any experience with these?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300668150774 ... 4714wt_906

Not sure if they are Knock off of a 3T Funda or the contracted manufacturer clearing old(legit) stock.
Thoughts on whether they are trustworthy?

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:18 am
by Yoda junior
Hi,

For the FSC50-CM wheels, what colour Park Spoke Wrench is needed for the nipples? I assume it is Black? 0.127"?

Image

Thanks

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:45 pm
by Crawf
Yoda junior wrote:Hi,

For the FSC50-CM wheels, what colour Park Spoke Wrench is needed for the nipples? I assume it is Black? 0.127"?

Image

Thanks


3.25mm is most commonly used for 'modern' builds. If you'd go by the different colors manufacturers used then you'd be confused.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:51 pm
by Crawf
BRLVR.v2 wrote:Anyone had any experience with these?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300668150774 ... 4714wt_906

Not sure if they are Knock off of a 3T Funda or the contracted manufacturer clearing old(legit) stock.
Thoughts on whether they are trustworthy?


If they weren't knock offs they'd be triple the price - simples.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:49 am
by BRLVR.v2
Crawf wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:Anyone had any experience with these?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300668150774 ... 4714wt_906

Not sure if they are Knock off of a 3T Funda or the contracted manufacturer clearing old(legit) stock.
Thoughts on whether they are trustworthy?


If they weren't knock offs they'd be triple the price - simples.


that was my thinking too, but thought I'd fish to see if anyone else had been tempted to try them .

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am
by Crawf
I've been rolling around on various China carbon wheels for a while now and have always used the cork pads, as I had purchased a bulk qty.
I could never bring myself to spend $30+ on swisstop pads. But on the weekend I thrown on some of these and wow, the difference was like chalk and cheese.
Do yourself a favor and ditch the cork pads for these if you have them.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 pm
by winstonw
Crawf wrote:Do yourself a favor and ditch the cork pads for these if you have them.


These look the same as Farsport wheels ship with.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:28 am
by Crawf
winstonw wrote:
Crawf wrote:Do yourself a favor and ditch the cork pads for these if you have them.


These look the same as Farsport wheels ship with.


Maybe they are, but I only ever got the crappy cork ones :/

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:28 pm
by steve-waters
Swiss stop yellow - I will commute 60km five days a week sun or thunder storm and they are miles better than the cork especially in the rain.

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:37 pm
by twizzle
But cork won't heat up as badly - so unless you know what expoxy is in your rim, don't experiment. SwissStop yellow's are not compatible with all rims.

Not sure what the issue is, anyway. Cork pulls up fine for me even at my weight. If I had to brake harder, I suspect it's because I cocked something up badly, ie. didn't plan ahead. Although a mate of mine did manage to get his cork ones smoking. Then again, I lost 50% of the front set of Koolstop carbon specific pads with two hard stops in a race.