Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

2wheels_mond

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby 2wheels_mond » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Cost isn't necessarily the point of building; it's being able to select the parts you want, and/or use up spare parts lying around.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:18 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:Cost isn't necessarily the point of building; it's being able to select the parts you want, and/or use up spare parts lying around.
Totally agree, the only parts worth really saving was the Tiagra compact double... So in this case it was, in my opinion it was cheaper to buy complete, but I completely agree about building to spec or from spares, if the bike does not sell I will seriously think about a CX frame and build from there. Also it was first new roadie for Mrs Waka, as pleasant as the pink carbon bike was, I now have a full idea on which geometry to use... I will do a build in the future. :)

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:53 pm

I thought I would post a review of my FarSports carbon clincher 38mm wheels after using them for 7 months and thought it would be on topic here.

Please keep in mind with this review, I am 185cm tall and weigh 90k.

The hubs (Edhub) and spokes (Sapim) are great quality. The rims are medium quality. The problem lies with the way they are put together. I had both wheels totally respoked at different stages, due to various problems. Both times, the spokes were so tight the nipples also had to be replaced. The rear wheel developed a problem at one stage and Farsports replaced the rim. However these wheels roll beautifully. I tested a pair of Shimano C24s and the FarSports wheels roll so much better (IMO).

For the $650 (including shipping) I paid for these wheels, I thought they were amazing.

The problem is confidence. I've had a number of problems with these wheels. Flying down Mt Gravatt I just had little confidence in the wheels.

My conclusion, the wheels are brilliant, they are just let down by the build. I have got rid of my set and bought myself a pair of American Classic 420s. They are similarly priced, with the FarSports feeling slightly better. The difference is confidence. I have no confidence in FarSports wheels anymore and total confidence in the American Classics.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Very similar story to above same weight 90kg and same spec exactly.
My issue the front has developed a divot on either side of the brake track at the valve area. This causes a nice thud during braking. ( black prince pads)
Looking at getting the divots filled with resin and levelled.
Otherwise roll great, spin up great and weight 1260g.

Confidence...mmmmm not 100 % descending.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Divots?
You sure it's not an uneven surface (varying rim width) which results in pulsating when braking, as reported by sooo many others?
Warranty time.

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:26 pm

No, divots. Verneers still measure even rim width around entire circumference. Great braking up until about 500ks. Then thudding not pulsing on front. You can feel the depressions with your fingers and its only the one spot.
Bought thru velobuild. But can't be f'd with the whole send it back at your expense crap ill have a dip at fixing it. And may get a replacement front wheel or rim if fixing fails.
All that said I really like the wheels and is hardly worth selling them given the price they fetch 2nd hand.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Got a pic?
May be the same issue I had which got warrantied without sending back.

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:22 pm

When I get it back ill post a couple. Not easy to see easier to feel
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

neild

Postby neild » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:09 am

Finally finished building up the FM0098 frame. Got all the Di2 installed adn set up was very easy. Installed the internal battery in the seat tube (thanks Crawf for the tip). I'll post some pics soon but from my rough calcs and weighing individual components (as our kitchen scales only go up to 5kg) it comes in around 7.8kg which I'm pretty happy with. I wasn't aiming for it to be a weight weenie but as I'm planning on the 3-Peaks next year it will all help.

I've only taken it for a couple of rides totalling 100km but first impresstions are wow! This is my first experience on a carbon frame so I have nothing to compare it to but it feels so stiff with no noticable flex under load and soaks up the small bumps in the road really well. It also accelerates / climbs / rolls effortlessly. The Di2 is great with changes being quick and so easy. One thing I'm finding is that I'm changing gear a lot more often becuase it is so easy with the Di2 so I'm always in the right gear. Just need to lower the seat a little but apart from that it's all set for Around the Bay next week. Looking forward to taking it for a longer ride.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:29 am

Photo? :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

neild

Postby neild » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:27 pm

As promised. Finally got around to taking a pic. Fm098 frame, Ultegra Di2 with internal battery. Looking forward to doing Around The Bay on it.

Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:10 pm

What's consensus on china carbon rims used w/ disc hubs? I just got given a spare 135 OLN hub for the cx pig/commuter. would require 32 hole rim, so custom drilling.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:49 pm

neil, that's the most downward tilt I've seen on a saddle, which looks even weirder with the stem upside down and the bars twisted up.
must be an interesting story for all that.

neild

Postby neild » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Hey winstonw, it must be the angle of the photo that makes it look weird. The seat definitely isn't angled down significantly. I did flip the stem because the frame is a lot more aggressive geometry than I'm used to so wanted to ease into it. I'll try to take a better pic. Either way so far on the 100km total I've done over 4 rides it feels right.

lloyd83

Postby lloyd83 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:33 am

neild wrote:...I did flip the stem because the frame is a lot more aggressive geometry than I'm used to so wanted to ease into it...
1972 LeJeune World Champion - Nuovo Record
1980's Hendry custom built - Tricolour 600
1995 Serotta Legend Ti - SRAM Red

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:46 am

^^ What the hell was that all about????????? ^^ :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:15 pm

foo on patrol wrote:^^ What the hell was that all about????????? ^^ :shock:

Foo
some bloke called Ben Dover I think!

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Has anyone had their DengFu frame painted and decaled by them? Looking a the FM098, will put SRAM Red/Force on it and become the training bike.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:43 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:Has anyone had their DengFu frame painted and decaled by them? Looking a the FM098, will put SRAM Red/Force on it and become the training bike.
It was going to but...

Painting cost: 45USD
Custom decal cost: 195USD

...so I skipped it. FM066SL.

I have found a 5cm Sea Shepherd sticker on the head tube enough as far as decoration goes (unless of course my son or niece decide I need some firetruck or my little pony stickers on it or something :lol:).

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:56 pm

winstonw wrote:
simonn wrote:Well, I wasted a semi-unexpected bonus...

Haven't ridden it yet as I have been sick and weather :(.

EDIT: Yes, I need to sort the spacers out, bars are a little to high.
pretty aggressive geometry. how does it compare to your other bikes?
let us know how your back goes after a month with the bars lower.
Now have the bars lowered with a single 5mm spacer above the headset. Have done several training rides, my one and only race (West Head), a 110km and 130km ride on it.

Loads more aggressive than either of my other roadies, or my CX. However, it is meant to be - the other roadies are my audax bike and spare bike/commuter, and my CX is a CX/commuter and have a purposefully less aggressive bar height as a result. Still comfortable, but I have been doing a lot of pilates, yoga and weights so my core is reasonably strong ("for a bloody cyclist... runners are just as bad" - says my bodybuilding PT :lol:, not that I am a body builder she's the trainer at my gym). Probably would have struggled a bit a year to a couple of years ago. Not sure how I would go on rides longer than 200km - that's what my audax bike is for though :).

Wait a few years for the longevity report, but so far I think it would be very difficult to get more bike for the money.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:35 pm

After 12 months I am finally making use of my FM066SL frame, it has been pressed into service as a replacement for my TT bike (aero seat post cracked and is being repaired).

So in all it's 6.98kg glory complete with Farsports 60mm front wheel, Farsports 50mm rim laced by yours truly to a powertap G3, microshift groupset (well bar end shifters, FD & RD), planet X brakes and what else I could find in the shed.

The FM066SL as a TT frame is an interesting ride, the back end is very compliant over the rough roads (Hopelands Rd, Lovekin Drive) you feel very little road chatter, even with an alloy seatpost. Unfortunately the same can not be said about the front end, you feel everything in your arms. Though that may have something to do with my position and how much weight is over the front wheel compared to the rear.

It took a lot of confidence to hold 50+kph,descending down Lovekin drive, when it was twitchy and you felt every bump. Far more confident pushing 50kph with a big tailwind along the much rougher and almost flat hopelands road. Again I blame geometry, it is a road bike frame, with the weight distribution it is not designed for.

Admit it was great to punch up Lovekin Drive climb.

Wheels, the front 60mm has done 3,000 to 4,000km the rear 7,000 to 8,000km (there is a 38mm front in the rotation with the 60mm). Occassional issue with shuddering under braking (more frequent on the 60mm). But moving the brake pads to the bottom of the brake track reduces the shudder and it often disappears when wheels are move between bikes (which I do regularly). Don't know if running the std blue pads on most bikes and yellow swiss stop on the crit bike has anything to do with this either.

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi everyone, a good news, "everyone who buys wheels or rims during 25th Nov-25th Dec is able to enjoy 5% off, to cater for the coming Christmas Holidays". Might some of you get interests, pls feel free to contact me directly.

Merry X mas in advance.

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Kyle I sent an email to mae about my faulty front farsport 38mm clincher I have had no reply in over one month. The wheel is only 500k old.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:46 am

flex5150 wrote:Kyle I sent an email to mae about my faulty front farsport 38mm clincher I have had no reply in over one month. The wheel is only 500k old.
Hello Flex5150, so sorry to hear that.
About the faulty wheels, the solution can be like that, according to our warranty policy pls contact the person/salesman who you bought from, then he or she will
offer you a complaint sheet to fill in the related details, then he or she will forward the complaint sheet(given back by you) to Mae, who will deal with it diretly.

Hope this can help you.

kyle Fu

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Are any of your hubs use ceramics bearings? I am looking at the 50mm carbon & alloy clincher wheels(1500g +/-30g) but want ceramic bearings. What are the Bitex hubs and Yuhubs?