Want to get onto a X bike, what's good?

For Roadies

Want to get onto a X bike, what's good?

Postby thecaptn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm looking at buying my first road bike and am keen on a cyclocross due to the types of roads we have here in gippsland.
The Cannondale 2013 CAADX Ultegra disc arrives at my LBS in september and looks very nice:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/up ... 0068_1.jpg

I think this is the model, retails at about $2,500.

Does anyone have an opinion on this bike or anything similar?
thecaptn

by BNA » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:32 pm

BNA

Re: Want to get onto a X bike, what's good?

Postby pawnii » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:32 pm

wow that's a really nice bike.
I thought most road cross bikes used centre pull brakes.

Scott Addict CX is another option.
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium
pawnii

Postby thecaptn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:13 am

that's a nice bike too, full carbon as well.

http://dfp2hfrf3mn0u.cloudfront.net/221 ... zoom_1.jpg
thecaptn

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:53 am

pawnii wrote:I thought most road cross bikes used centre pull brakes.

Discs were declared UCI legal about a year ago ...
clackers

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:40 am

I got a Boardman CX pro from Wiggle. Granted I got it as a commuter bike and it now has slicks, mudguards and panniers but it would make a plenty servicable CX race bike I would think. Cheaper option even factoring in shipping and GST.
AndrewBurns

Postby Crawf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:59 pm

thecaptn wrote:I'm looking at buying my first road bike and am keen on a cyclocross due to the types of roads we have here in gippsland.
The Cannondale 2013 CAADX Ultegra disc arrives at my LBS in september and looks very nice:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/up ... 0068_1.jpg

I think this is the model, retails at about $2,500.

Does anyone have an opinion on this bike or anything similar?

That bike would be a wise choice given the area you say you live in, it would be no slower than a road bike if you switched out the wheels/tyres with some slicks. In fact if it was me I'd have 2 sets - slicks and cx.
The only thing holding you back would be your legs :)
Crawf

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Have a look at the Merida CX bikes. They're pretty nice looking. Was very tempted last time I bought a bike but funds ran short...
Ozkaban

Postby simonn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:11 pm

After just over 7000km on my Boardman CX comp and having done a lot of riding on country roads with crappy surfaces (audax) on normal roadies (with 23mm tyres), IMHO...

Disc CXers are awesome for commuting and if you expect to ride a lot in the rain, and off road/CX racing of course. I would still choose a standard roadie for recreational riding even on average country roads though. Discs, and possibly heavier rims, make the wheels heavier which makes a *big* difference for acceleration, and therefore climbing. You can always put 25mm or maybe even 28mm slicks on a roadie (I have 28mm slicks on my CX for commuting). Discs do not really give much benefit over rim brakes in the dry - yes they stop the rims wearing out so quickly, but disc brake pads wear out faster and are more expensive to it probably makes no difference.

If I was only going to have one bike, I'd go with a disc CX, but, IME, they really are a jack of all trades master of none (except CX racing, of course).

YMMV of course.
simonn

Postby Chris249 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm

I don't know which CX bike to go for, but I'll agree that they make fantastic bikes for general use. I ended up with a 2010 N.O.S. Merida 4 (105 level) a couple of weeks ago, after my ghettocross bike was stolen. My wife has had her 2011 Merida 5 (Ultegra level) for a few months. She commutes on hers every day, while I use mine for commuting most days. The bikes are effectively as fast as our roadies (although my roadie is 2200/Sora level and hers is top-line but old so it's not a perfect comparison), more comfortable and are usually designed to carry racks and guards.

I had the choice of disc and canti for little extra cash and after a fair bit of thinking, went to cantis to save weight. I didn't want to drag the extra 800-1000g around the race course and although I commute every day and the CX bike is my wet weather ride, I've never had issues stopping with cantis. From memory, most of the racing guys are sticking with cantis at the moment, even those who have imported their own bikes recently.

The racing is fun, although I do miss that fantastic feeling of efficiency you get with a roadie or TT bike on tarmac. Around Sydney there seem to be none of the back end of B, C and D graders who make up the bulk of club road crits, so the standard seems scarily solid.

I had just set up my ghettocross (converted from a Kona Dew) with two sets of wheels and tyres, and it seemed to work so well that we are about to equip our CX bikes with a set of road wheels each.

One thing to look for is the chainwheel size; if you are using the bike with road wheels on the road you may run out of gear inches with the CX setup.

BTW if anyone sees a light blue Kona Dew hacked into a ghettocross with drop bars, Tektro T720 cantis, a red and white Merida seat, new Shimano R500 wheels and Conti Speed "file tread" CX tyres, odd Sora-level brifters and serial no. I010700493, call the police for me! At least I hadn't put on the new 105 components when it got nicked. :-(
There are many types of racing cyclists. There is the sprinter, the rouleur, the stagiaire, the danser, the descender.... sadly, I'm a mediocre. :-(

2003 Cervelo P2K time trial bike
2010 Merida Cyclocross 4
2008 Giant SS/track
2008 Vivente Como roadie
Chris249

Postby toppity » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:44 pm

If it was me, i'd go the Cannondale. If you are in Gippsland I hope you are checking the prices at Chilli Cycles, Sean and the crew are excellent there and the service is the best.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.
toppity

Postby thecaptn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:45 pm

toppity wrote:If it was me, i'd go the Cannondale. If you are in Gippsland I hope you are checking the prices at Chilli Cycles, Sean and the crew are excellent there and the service is the best.

Chilli Cycles? Where are they?
thecaptn

Postby toppity » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:23 pm

thecaptn wrote:
toppity wrote:If it was me, i'd go the Cannondale. If you are in Gippsland I hope you are checking the prices at Chilli Cycles, Sean and the crew are excellent there and the service is the best.

Warragul mate. Is that near you?
toppity

Postby thecaptn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:33 pm

toppity wrote:
thecaptn wrote:

Warragul mate. Is that near you?

Yeah I'm in Drouin.
thecaptn

Postby toppity » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Well mate, I reckon you should go see him. He loves cyclocross himself and organises regular cx rides from the shop. Here is his website.

http://www.chillicycles.com.au/

I buy all my gear off him.
toppity

Postby thecaptn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:25 pm

toppity wrote:Well mate, I reckon you should go see him. He loves cyclocross himself and organises regular cx rides from the shop. Here is his website.

http://www.chillicycles.com.au/

I buy all my gear off him.

Cool I'll check it out ta.
thecaptn

Postby ozstriker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Holy hell I want one.
ozstriker

Postby thecaptn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:02 am

AndrewBurns wrote:I got a Boardman CX pro from Wiggle. Granted I got it as a commuter bike and it now has slicks, mudguards and panniers but it would make a plenty servicable CX race bike I would think. Cheaper option even factoring in shipping and GST.

These look awesome for the money but they've run out of the pro. 2013 models must be coming soon though.

I would need to get over my reservations about buying a whole bike from overseas. Can any one tell me how do you pay the GST on one of these?
thecaptn

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:24 am

Another vote for Chilli Cycles. Got my Rize off them. Had an issue with one of the shifters, resolved happily.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby thecaptn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 pm

trailgumby wrote:Another vote for Chilli Cycles. Got my Rize off them. Had an issue with one of the shifters, resolved happily.

Why did you use a bike shop in warragul if you live in Sydney?
thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:17 pm

ozstriker wrote:Holy hell I want one.

Yeah I talked to the guy at Chilli and he's going to lend me one when they come in. I'll be getting one provided I find it's comfortable which it will be. I'm excited!! :D
thecaptn

Postby antipodean » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:35 pm

thecaptn wrote:that's a nice bike too, full carbon as well.

Nope aluminium.
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Postby thecaptn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:53 pm

antipodean wrote:
thecaptn wrote:that's a nice bike too, full carbon as well.

Nope aluminium.

Awesome job they've done on the frame.
thecaptn

Postby toppity » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 am

thecaptn wrote:

Yeah I talked to the guy at Chilli and he's going to lend me one when they come in. I'll be getting one provided I find it's comfortable which it will be. I'm excited!! :D

Great stuff. Good luck with it.
toppity

Postby thecaptn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:37 pm

toppity wrote:
thecaptn wrote:

Great stuff. Good luck with it.

Thanks mate for the tip, it's a proper bike shop with proper good bikes to check out and plenty of demo models to borrow.
First class.
thecaptn

Return to Road Biking