Thinking of quiting

Addictr3

Thinking of quiting

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:58 am

Hi All,

After being hit by a car and trying to get back on the bike, I just cant seem to get my setup on the new bike correct. I've spent nearly $1000 on services, (I have seen two fitters) and I still cant get anywhere.

So.. after riding home last night and nearly riding off a cliff due to frustration. I think its time I hang up the shoes and look to find another type of endruance event, maybe long distance walking.. LOL

But seriously.. I am over it.

Cheers
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

gururug

Re: Thinking of quiting

Postby gururug » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:29 am

Feel your frustration. Multiple bikes/stems/bars etc, have helped me heaps. It's taken me 5 years and $600 to workout my ideal(ish) crank length, despite every "professional" advising something absurd.

Have a break and go back to square one.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Ha I was so frustrated last night, but yeah, thing is. I hate not riding, and I just cant seem to get that proper fit, I had with my old bike. Sucks.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:10 pm

Addictr3 wrote:Hi All,

After being hit by a car and trying to get back on the bike, I just cant seem to get my setup on the new bike correct. I've spent nearly $1000 on services, (I have seen two fitters) and I still cant get anywhere.
Have you considered a DS MTB with a higher handlebar? Might work for you for the short to medium term until you recover more. Even if you don't get much better, at least you can ride.

If you still have a need to speed, what about a 'bent?

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Nobody wrote:
Addictr3 wrote:Hi All,

Have you considered a DS MTB with a higher handlebar? Might work for you for the short to medium term until you recover more. Even if you don't get much better, at least you can ride.

If you still have a need to speed, what about a 'bent?
Geez, he's already suffered enough! 8)
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vander

Postby vander » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Where is the pain when is it causing problems etc etc. It may not be totally fit related but could be some sort of damage you occurred during the crash that isnt easy to stir up but cycling does it. There might be an underlying cause. I would say possibly go see doctor/physio look at getting scans (dont accept an ultrasound get an MRI hopefully the person that hit you will pay) and trying to figure out an underlying cause and treat that and get back on the bike fitter/stronger and better then ever.

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Have you tried backing your position right off to a 'super-relaxed' fit - like for an old-man gran-fondo style fit?

I did that when I had my bad shoulder break. Backed the position right off so I was relatively upright (not actually upright, but just relative to my previous position). Then very slowly brought myself back to a more 'racing' position very, very slowly with very small, incremental changes (over the course of almost a year).

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Give yourself an upper cut for even thinking this way. :P

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:29 pm

ha yer i should upper cut myself, maybe even ride my bike off a cliff, thats how I feel anyways..

Thanks for all the replies. I've had it, seriously. The bastard that ran me over who I might add is 80+ years old, has ruined my fun for cycling. Not only can I not ride now due to my right foot, leg etc, but the motivation is gone due to not be able to feel comfy.

I've spent the past 3-4 weeks, of useless riding. 4am starts, end up stopping every 15-20 metres to adjust the cleat. I cant find the ball of my foot, my foot must be out of wack. Sucks......

Ive had 2 bike fits, nothing. One guy was good though, always helping, but same problem.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:52 pm

NOOOOoooo! :(

You CAN'T let that old dill win!

If you can't ride the way you love, ride a different way. Keep that mojo on life support until it recovers.

Please, somebody from up that way, lend our mate a nice mtb or cruiser with flat pedals and take him out for a trundle. Help a fellow rider in dire need.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bomber

Postby bomber » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:55 am

Six months ago I broke my knee in a motorcycle accident. Second time I have broken that knee too but this time I did it properly. 5 hours of surgery, 6 inch plate and 11 screws put my tibia back in some sort of order. It was 3 months before I could walk without crutches and I still have a limp and swelling on the knee.

I am starting back on the bike now and comfort has not come easily. I can't stand and pedal which makes hills tough and I need 48 -72 hours between rides so as not to overstress the knee and muscle. I have found that little changes in my position have made all the difference. Saddle height has come down but only a matter of mm. I also ended up moving my cleats as far back under the shoe as possible i.e. a more mid foot position. Some days it feels ok and I can ride and some days it doesn't so I head to the pool or stick it on the indoor trainer and just spin lightly.

The fact that you posted on here means you don't want to give up and injuries are super annoying but sometimes you have to ignore the fitters and go with what your body tells you - don't give up though as you no doubt will regret it. I may not be racing anymore but it stills feels damn good to go for a ride!

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Addictr3 wrote:ha yer i should upper cut myself, maybe even ride my bike off a cliff, thats how I feel anyways.
Harsh, but probably best to get it off your chest rather than bottle it up inside. Makes me a little sad to hear a fellow cyclist express their thoughts in this way. I'd really hope for you to find a solution & keep trying to enjoy this fantastic sport, even if you have to reduce the intensity & distance from your previous efforts.

I'm sure it was you who handed out some great advice in the weight loss thread ? If it was you, thank you for sharing you're knowledge & I'm sure you helped many people on here.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Again thanks for even taking the time to come on and post, damn I look back and see my post and I feel stupid now, not because i'm lying or any of that, I just feel so selfish thinking "I want, I want etc"

I dunno, I get so frustrated, it just sucks, when you want something to work so badly, it just sends you mad.. I'll literally setup the trainer in the lounge room (which is also my bedroom, as I live in a studio) and I'll just ride and ride and try get the setup correct. Nothing, the body just isnt the same anymore, or its all in my head and I'm searching for fantasy land :P

Yer that was prob me in the weight loss thread, I dunno, I used to study Diets, health at uni before dropping out and doing Com Science... I have a passion for endurance etc, and it sucks knowing people are too lazy to go for a ride ,while us folk love it to bits..

I'll see how i go..

petie

Postby petie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:35 pm

You really can't expect to get back to exactly the same level of function after an injury, the body just doesn't work like that. Take a break and come back just aiming to have a bit of a pedal and enjoy yourself. If that means flats on a cruiser, then so be it. I'm sure you can make your current bike work though you might need to reassess your position and the aim of the fit.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Ever thought about a recumbent ?

Ok, you get the poo ripped out of you by just about everyone......but you can still ride after back surgery and after 6 hours of riding your wrists and back and neck does not ache and as for your backside.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Addictr3 wrote:Again thanks for even taking the time to come on and post, damn I look back and see my post and I feel stupid now, not because i'm lying or any of that, I just feel so selfish thinking "I want, I want etc"

I dunno, I get so frustrated, it just sucks, when you want something to work so badly, it just sends you mad.. I'll literally setup the trainer in the lounge room (which is also my bedroom, as I live in a studio) and I'll just ride and ride and try get the setup correct. Nothing, the body just isnt the same anymore, or its all in my head and I'm searching for fantasy land :P

Yer that was prob me in the weight loss thread, I dunno, I used to study Diets, health at uni before dropping out and doing Com Science... I have a passion for endurance etc, and it sucks knowing people are too lazy to go for a ride ,while us folk love it to bits..

I'll see how i go..
I hope you'll get it sorted - hang in there! Your comments earlier weren't stupid, just frustration - frustration because you care about not being able to do something you love.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Don't quit mate.
You'll regret it in the long run...
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:58 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Ever thought about a recumbent ?

Ok, you get the poo ripped out of you by just about everyone......but you can still ride after back surgery and after 6 hours of riding your wrists and back and neck does not ache and as for your backside.......
All of which is negated by the sandal tan lines :P :wink:

Worth thinking about actually. :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:12 pm

Bad luck about the accident. Did you post the details somewhere?
And are you still interested in the Jonestown Massacre?

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 am

winstonw wrote:Bad luck about the accident. Did you post the details somewhere?
do you mean the Brian Jonestown Massacre LOL the band I love.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 am

Addictr3 wrote:
winstonw wrote:Bad luck about the accident. Did you post the details somewhere?
do you mean the Brian Jonestown Massacre LOL the band I love.
ha...showing my age...

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:11 am

Hi All,

So I went for a ride yesterday afternoon and still felt crap, I said what the hell and removed a 5mm spacer from the bars, I had noticed before that I could feel so much more powerful in the drops and noticed I was in the drops a lot more than when I had my previous bike.

After removing the 5mm spacer and being lower on the hoods, I felt amazing. I had my power back and felt like a little kid on his first bike, I went for a quick 30min ride. One thing I wanted to do now, is make sure the seat height and saddle fore/aft is correct. I climbed one hill with the new setup and had stacks of power! I had enough power to chase a car for beeping me for no reason while he had 3 lanes to choose!!!!

Question is; Why when dropping the bars, I am so much more comfortable and my right leg which is the injured one, feels 100 times better?

Any ideas?

Cheers

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:24 pm

Well done!

That was a very narrow escape...the suggestions of a recumbent were getting louder, and I suspect you're too young to wear the right sort of beard.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Addictr3 wrote:Question is; Why when dropping the bars, I am so much more comfortable and my right leg which is the injured one, feels 100 times better?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Not a clue mate but who cares? Your mojo is fit, healthy and ready to roll. Have a ball out there :D

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 am

I agree with Shaun. Don't ask too many questions. Just ride
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.