Whats the best high way tyres?

RB25VP

Whats the best high way tyres?

Postby RB25VP » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:06 am

hi just wondering what would be the best high way tyres for the highway i have racing slicks on my roady atm but looking too buy new tyres just looking for peoples different opinions cheers

Matt_Matt

Re: Whats the best high way tyres?

Postby Matt_Matt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:09 am

A tyre thread that hasn't mentioned GP4000S yet ... :shock:

Dirk.s

Postby Dirk.s » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:49 am

Considering the sides of the highways are full of glass and bits of tyre debris etc you need something tough. I've just ridden 70km basically all on the Hume Hwy, and had 2 flats on my front (Vittoria Rubino) and none on the rear (Schwalbe Durano Plus). Still need to get back home the same way. Needless to say once I get back home to my LBS I'll be putting the same tyre on the front, as most of my riding is on roads that are full of crap.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:54 pm

was that a Rubino Pro, Dirk? i have used those and i don't think i've ever got a puncture with them. they have kevlar belt protection, whereas i suspect the Rubinos (different tyre) do not. i have one complaint about the RPs though - the centre band on the tread (different material to the side tread) can delaminate quickly if you let it wear down too much. i got spat off in a crit due to that and have the scars to prove it. i was kinda my fault though.

Dirk.s

Postby Dirk.s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Hey Jules
No only Rubinos not the Rubino pros. My brother was telling me on Saturday afternoon that the Pros have the added puncture resistance. If I'd known at the time I bought them, I'd have paid the extra $.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:17 pm

In my experience the best 'normal' tyre is the Maxxis Refuse, they're going really well for me whereas everything else i've used has got punctures from the tiniest little bits of gravel or glass. The best road bike tyre full stop is the Halo Twin Rail Courier Berlin (recommended as rear only because it has a 'hard compound' but i wouldn't hesitate to use it on the front too), heavier but i got 2,500k out of my first one which is completely unheard of for me.

If you have room for 28c though, Michelin City, NOTHING is getting through those puppies, i have probably more than 4000k on my oldest one of those and it looks barely worn. Fantastic for about $20!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Dirk.s wrote:Hey Jules
No only Rubinos not the Rubino pros. My brother was telling me on Saturday afternoon that the Pros have the added puncture resistance. If I'd known at the time I bought them, I'd have paid the extra $.
That might not be correct according to http://www.vittoria.com/product/rubino/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Rubino is the just the rigid version of the Pros. Meaning wire bead, lower TPI and ~100g heavier.

The website does not mention a fancier kelvar belt (or something else) for the Pros. If anything, the low TPI should be more resistance to cut and slice?!??

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:29 pm

In my experience the Michelin City aren't a great tyre. A chunk of glass destroyed one on my MTB on the first ride the other was getting regular punctures within six months. I've also tried Specialized nimbus (slower, heaver and more punctures), Continental Sports Contact (much faster tyre and took longer to start getting regular punctures) and Vittoria Randonneur Pros. The Randonneurs are noticeably slower than the Sports Contacts but have been bulletproof. I pulled a large screw from them on day two with no puncture (I had to actually unscrew it from the tyre) and I've found myself happily riding through places that would have guaranteed a puncture with other tyres.

My flat bar roadie came with sports contacts and once they start to puncture I've got a fresh set of Randonneur Pros ready.