Question for Alex Simmons

Hawkeye

Question for Alex Simmons

Postby Hawkeye » Sat May 03, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum. Let me say how encouraging it is to hear how you're dealing with your recovery, and I hope to see you on the road around the Northern Beaches soon.

A quick question, if I may. It's not training-related, but I'm hoping you might have the contacts to help me solve this problem.

Background:
I have a leg length discrepancy with related back pain and need to get 2mm of shims for my mountain bike cleats. Unfortunately the only ones available so far are just 2.5cm square flat sheet metal. The front edge catches dreadfully when engaging the pedal - just livable for onroad but a major distraction if I've had to dab with my foot in the middle of techy off-road terrain.

Replacing with a thicker insole hasn't been as effective.

Question:
Do you know where I might be able to secure some SPD off-road cleat shims shaped to avoid catching on the pedal?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun May 04, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks.

Contact Steve Hogg at Sydney Cyclefit Centre.

He's the guru on this stuff and has devised lots of such solutions.

I can't post link yet so just do a serach for it.

Disclosure: he's a good mate of mine but does really know his stuff.

Cheers

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun May 04, 2008 2:58 pm

Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sun May 04, 2008 9:43 pm

Thanks, guys, I'll give him a call.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun May 04, 2008 9:52 pm

Tell him I sent you

laterstarter

Postby laterstarter » Tue May 06, 2008 8:39 pm

http://www.bicyclefit.com/wedge.htm
have a range of shims - also cater for pronation etc.

I have osteoarthitis in one knee in the outside (lateral) compartment which has collapsed on that side (leg splays outwards from knee). This effectively shortens the leg. I bought wedges from Bicyclefit for my road shoes (imported from US, service was good and Phil Stephens responded quickly to emails). The difference is amazing. Reduced pelvis rock, knee scalloping, and both legs feel like they are doing the same work. Also just realised that the hot foot and other aches have not happened since I put them on.

I occasionally use my shoe orthotics inside the road shoe as well to realign the whole foot, but I don't notice a cycling benefit from the orthotics alone..