Better Braking

For Roadies

Better Braking

Postby 4xsama » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi,

I have FSA Gossamer brakes working damn hard to stop me (all 105kg) sailing through intersections etc every now and again. Pads are boggo.

Aside from loosing some mass, which is the plan, will after market pads assist. I'm a bit of a wuss so i don't ride too much in the rain, and it never rains in the west, so compound choice can be flexible. That is assuming the choice is as it was with MTB many moons ago.

I'm currently on Reparto Corsa's.

Cheers
4xsama

by BNA » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:44 pm

BNA

Re: Better Braking

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:44 pm

You can't go past Kool Stop Salmon IMO tho' Shamino Ultegra are better than pretty good too.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby clackers » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Mulger bill wrote:You can't go past Kool Stop Salmon IMO tho' Shamino Ultegra are better than pretty good too.

+1 on the Salmons.
clackers

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:40 am

I'd be more inclined to go for Kool Stop dual compound or even black for just dry conditions. Some think Salmon pads are too spongy. I currently use dual compound on the back of some bikes but avoid using for the front as I've found they can squeal in extreme downhill braking (not that this will likely be a problem in Perth).
http://www.koolstop.com/english/compounds.html
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop/road/rim-brake-pads/
One advantage of Kool Stop is they are very rim friendly. In other words, you usually don't get bits of rim stuck in the pads.
Nobody

Postby 4xsama » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm riding as much as I can in the hills and that's where I get the 'is it gonna stop' thoughts.

Having said that are the Kool Stop Blacks noisy?

Cheers
4xsama

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:56 pm

I just installed my first set of Kool Stop Salmon's on my bike 2 days ago.
Haven't used them in the wet as yet but in the dry they are pretty darn good.
They are a bit more spongy than the stock Shimano 105 pads that were on my bike but so far, so good.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
DoogleDave

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Mulger bill wrote:You can't go past Kool Stop Salmon IMO tho' Shamino Ultegra are better than pretty good too.

+1 on Kool Stop.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby bosvit » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:53 pm

I've used 105 pads, upgraded to Ultegra, could barely tell the difference.

I've had the better of the Tektro pads and I thought they were as good and probably better than the Ultegra.

Then I changed to Koolstop Salmon from recommendations on this site and from the lbs and there was a noticeable improvement in stopping and they definitely pick up less aluminium from the braking surface.

But I still wasn't overly impressed with overall stopping power so I was put onto swissstops by a local legend (Multiple World Masters Track gold medalist) and they are a league above the others. They are so rim friendly that after 7000km the brake surface is getting quite shiny, they would have to increase the life of your rim.

I am so impressed and confident of these tyres I have recommended them to 8 other blokes in our riding group and guaranteed their performance by offering to buy them off of the other members for the price they paid for them if they don't like them. Have not had to buy a single set of pads off anyone yet.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-race- ... ound-pads/

BTW just a happy customer no affiliation with anything cycling anywhere :D
bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Oh yeah that price is for two sets eg front and rear :wink:

Or the Shimano version

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash ... ound-pads/

I think the less aggressive riding comment refers to the pads being a bit soft. If you are hammering it down hill and braking hard regularly you will notice wear on these pads but not loss of braking power. For me this is a preference as I would rather pay for brake pads then wheel rims but everyone is a bit different in their views

Cheers
bosvit

Postby clackers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:09 pm

bosvit wrote:They are so rim friendly that after 7000km the brake surface is getting quite shiny, they would have to increase the life of your rim.

You actually don't want them to glaze like that, Bosvit. You now need to roughen them up again with some sandpaper. :smile:
clackers

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:54 am

Definitely want to look at upgrading the actual brakes (Ultegra is a good suggestion). I had Tektro brakes on my bike and thought they were adequate and then upgraded to Ultegra and there was a big difference.
Ross

Postby bosvit » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:19 pm

clackers wrote:
bosvit wrote:They are so rim friendly that after 7000km the brake surface is getting quite shiny, they would have to increase the life of your rim.

You actually don't want them to glaze like that, Bosvit. You now need to roughen them up again with some sandpaper. :smile:

Thanks clackers;-)

yep aware of that one but at this stage braking still seems to be slowly improving.

Are glazed braking surfaces more of an issue in the wet? If so I will give them a light rub for winter
bosvit

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 pm

4xsama wrote:I'm riding as much as I can in the hills and that's where I get the 'is it gonna stop' thoughts.

Having said that are the Kool Stop Blacks noisy?

Cheers
If you are trying to avoid noise I suggest you try Lifeline Professional pads available at Wiggle. A bit harder IMO but they still have reasonably good bite and are designed to reduce noise. They are my current favourite for front use after trying a number of brands including Kool Stop black.
Nobody

Postby clackers » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:59 pm

bosvit wrote:yep aware of that one but at this stage braking still seems to be slowly improving.

Are glazed braking surfaces more of an issue in the wet? If so I will give them a light rub for winter

They'll improve even more when you rough them up. More friction equals better stopping.

The softer compounds give the best grip, but of course wear away faster.
clackers

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:29 pm

I run the Swiss Stop Greens on my cyclocross bike... the difference between the Shimano ones was pretty big. Run them in TRP canti's, but they are the same shape as Shimano pads.
Although probably time I flicked off these wheels as they took a hammering on the brake surfaces :lol: ... nicely concave after 10 races!.
toolonglegs

Return to Road Biking