New to road biking

NinjaCycle

New to road biking

Postby NinjaCycle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:53 pm

Hello,
im currently interested in getting a road bike for myself, im about to turn 15 and im about 1cm off 180cm, being my age with no job i have a strict budget and i have been looking around,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200880981877 ... 326wt_1271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^ this looks good and on the limit of my budget, do you think it looks ok? it has allright specs from what i can gather :) , i have one more question, i am currently inbetween the recommended size of medium and large and being 15 i imagine im still growing, im 179 and the large is for people from 180cm to six foot, would i be wise to choose this. i have no money for upgrades once i include the gear such as helmet, riding suit ect so this will have to do for the time being, whats your opinon, i have time to think because a friend is giving me his old roadbike worth $500 but i have to buy my own soon as i can :lol: it bothers me if its not mine!
thanks Cree

GTRmon7

Re: New to road biking

Postby GTRmon7 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 am

You get what you pay for in road cycling, and Reid have a reputation for being cheap and nasty. That said, I rode alongside a guy on the weekend who had bought one as a beginner bike and had no major complaints. And on the face of it this deal doesn't look too bad.

But my advice would be to scour Gumtree and the forums on here for a secondhand bike. You can probably get better value.

For example, an Orbea with full Ultegra:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane ... 1014927963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this one, a Fondriest FZ4:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/indooroo ... 1013786540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bearing in mind that secondhand sellers are usually pretty negotiable.

180cm, so you're after about a 56cm bike, give or take. You can likely get a decent quality frame with better than Tiagra running gear for your approximate budget

Remember to factor in the other expenses: helmet, clipless pedals and shoes (if you want to go down that path), lights, a lock, bib shorts and jersey etc. The extra costs of cycling add up quickly, so have in mind a firm budget and buy what you need when you need. Some things you can cheap out on Kmart helmet and lock, some you should try to buy the best quality for your budget, like jerseys and bib knicks.

I'll also add that if you start with a decent frame, you can virtually upgrade the bike around it. I'm still using the same frame from when I was 17, but with almost every component on the bike has been changed over the years.

sbr511

Postby sbr511 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:45 am

Make sure you see the bike in person before buying and make sure it fits you.
I had ordered a bike from my LBS, it was a M/L 56.5cm, when we assembled it and had my bike fit, I acutally needed a LGE at 58cm.
Luckily I know the owner had he built one up for me that day and it wasnt much hassle but fi you buy online and its wrong... bit dissapointing...
Avanti Torrent 2
Avanti Cadent 2
KTM 250SXF
Honda CT70
four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

NinjaCycle

Postby NinjaCycle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:00 pm

thanks guys, youv've got me re-consdering my inital choice and im searching ebay, gumtree and bike exchange thanks

LM324

Postby LM324 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:24 am

The reason why reid has an cheap and nasty reputation is because for their really cheap bikes they use really really low spec shimano parts to meet the price point. This low spec shimano stuff is hard to adjust/maintain and can have issues. The reid falco sport however has the tiagra groupset which is a reliable entry level groupset, so you won't run into the same problems associated with the cheaper shimano stuff. The frame is decent (as long as it doesn't break i'd call it decent... unlike those cannondale bikes :wink: ) and the wheels are heavy but judging from the "why are wheel sets better" thread, weight actually doesn't matter too much.

Personally, for a first road bike I would prefer a new bike over one that has had another guys sweaty bum sit on for years before me :lol: . Yes second hand is cheaper and also probably better value for money, but you have to wait for one with the right size to pop up and there are still many risks associated with it. Also you don't get any warranty for the bike or parts.

Alternatively you can buy a bike and change out the frame over time. 15wilsonwu did this on his reid falco... You can ask him about it.

And another thing (this applies to reid as well as other brands) don't buy your bike from online, go into a store to see it and get the right size.

GTRmon7

Postby GTRmon7 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:28 pm

There's been consistent complaints over things other than the Shimano running gear on the Reids, including super cheap rim tape and tubes and tyres.

I don't buy the low end Shimano argument. I ran Sora for many years, and now that I run 105 I realise how much smoother the shift is (and the Sora thumb lever is not cool). But I never had any maintenance problems. It always ran ok, and in fact I later found out that some of the deterioration in shifting was from a bent derailluer. If given the choice, always get a better groupset, but Shimano don't have endemic quality problems, even on their low end groupsets.

Reid are meeting the ultra low pricepoint by running low margins on the groupset, using cheap wheels and cheaping out on everything else (bars, steam, saddle, tubes, tyres, rim tape, bearings etc.) So the risk of having to replace bearings or tyres increases. Not a huge deal, but it's money and maintenance time that can be avoided.

Definitely ride the bike before buying. If you're buying secondhand off Gumtree or similar, make sure you take it for a ride around the block, and adjust seat height and handlebars before you lay down any money. If buying on eBay, only buy from someone in your area who will take cash on delivery and let you test ride it. Don't pay for a bike and have it shipped to you or otherwise only to find out it's the wrong size or a dud!

Also keep an eye out for bike shop specials. It might be a bit late, but some stores might still have 2012 or even 2011 stock that they're trying to clear still. If you pop in to a couple of local stores, just explain your situation and ask if they have anything. You could get lucky.

Don't worry about wheelsets. The weight of wheels absolutely matters, but when you're starting out it's better just to get rolling. And in the future wheels are literally the easiest thing to swap on the bike, so worry about that when you come to it. Like groupsets, always try to get the best wheels you can for your budget, but don't stress it.

But yeah, you do have to scour eBay and Gumtree for something to come up in the right size (although the size you're looking for is quite common). If there is literally nothing, or nothing that isn't hideously overpriced, then the Reid is an option.

Overall though, good luck man! Cycling is an addictive hobby and a great way to meet new people/keep fit/get around. And race. Racing is addictive.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:21 pm

GTRmon7 wrote:
I don't buy the low end Shimano argument. I ran Sora for many years, and now that I run 105 I realise how much smoother the shift is.
Sora, low end? Remember, GTR, that there are a heap of lines that Shimano produce they don't even dignify with a name.

Might be manageable on a day to day basis if you're mechanically inclined, but a cruel trick on beginners. :smile:

NinjaCycle

Postby NinjaCycle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 pm

thanks guys, atleast a friend is giving me his old roadbike for free, he said it was top of the line in its day and he used it for triathlons and stuff, it just needed some new tyres or wheels, ill test it out and see how it fits me, though ill still prob buy one either way

NinjaCycle

Postby NinjaCycle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Just got the new bike! its pretty awsome its got its wheels fixed up and the saddle and handlebars, and they guy threw in some spare tyres and tubes and bought a pump, i only had to pay like $50 :D , just rode it today, feels very nice and FAST its like just fits like its just not to big and that means ill grow into it but its pretty comfy riding it apart from the funny position initially buts its all good, but i noticed how easy it is to go fast with it, it has a pretty big frame

the gear changing mech is on the the frame lol its just above the s in shogun, which is a little unusual but ill adjust, i dont think i even wanna buy a new one as this one feels and looks pretty sweet first hand, also light compared to my crapola MTB from ALDI :lol:
thanks

NinjaCycle

Postby NinjaCycle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:28 pm

here it is in action, went for two 6km rides this morning, so 12 all up, feels pretty nice though i cant compare it to anything i cant complain either
Image :)

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:14 pm

you will have fun on that. Nice bike to start with, and going by the seat height, you have some room to grow.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

NinjaCycle

Postby NinjaCycle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:00 pm

[quote][/quote]
Thanks, been riding it abit, ive done 22kms all together

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:40 am

NinjaCycle wrote:
Thanks, been riding it abit, ive done 22kms all together
Awesome bike! :D
<removed by request>

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:41 am

So you have the seat down as far as it will go, when you're sitting on the bike and the pedal is down towards the ground is your leg straight or a little bent? It should be slightly bent but if it's straight and the seat can't go further down just keep an eye out for pain/clicking feelings on the sides of your knees.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:00 am

2nd hand for the win. That looks way better than the Reid, just hope it fits (as above)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Cree

My son is 5'11 and a half and rides a 56cm bike. Your shogun is too big as it looks at least 60cm or maybe more. But you can compensate a bit with your seat height and handlebar stem length. As a rough guide, my sons seat is 75cm from top of seat down to the centre of the bottom bracket. And 58cm from the tip of the seat to the top of the handlebars.
I think you need to lower your stem and maybe swap it for a shorter one. Just undo the allen key bolt on the top of the stem, undo it about 5 turns then tap the top of the bolt with a hammer to release the internal clamp. Then you can drop it down and retighten it.
Shoguns were a pretty decent bike in their day. I think its a good one to get you started on. Once you look to buy, look for a 56 cm one.
happy riding : )
Cheers
DD

PS. What city do you live in?

NinjaCycle

Postby NinjaCycle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:16 pm

hi guys, it feels really nice riding it so i dunno about that, i have no pain or strectchin issues, i have no issues with the size, once im on which it feels very good so i personally dont think its to big, just a little high but the actual distance from my pedals to seat is perfect for my legs, so no complaints at all ( i longish legs and arms so its not much of a big deal), and "Derny Driver" i live on the south coast of NSW in a little town called tilba (near narooma if you've heard of that) i still really like it. after using my 15kg crappy mountain bike it feels very light aswell even though its no lightweight around 9kg, so even better excersize for me lol
thanks

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:09 pm

NinjaCycle wrote: "Derny Driver" i live on the south coast of NSW in a little town called tilba (near narooma if you've heard of that)
thanks
Im on the South Coast too (Shellharbour) so I knw where Tilba is. Beautiful spot. Im guessing there are some nice rides along the coast in the Bermagui area.
Good luck with the riding.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Its possible you are of longer leg than others. I have shorter legs and have found that others of the same height have a higher seat while I tend to want a longer stem on the same frame.

If it fits, ride it. If it doesn't, trade it in.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ishanhoupe

Postby ishanhoupe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:19 am

bychosis wrote:Its possible you are of longer leg than others. I have shorter legs and have found that others of the same height have a higher seat while I tend to want a longer stem on the same frame.

If it fits, ride it. If it doesn't, trade it in.
hello there, i too have shorter legs than others and have experienced this before, anyway really cool looking bike that and i'm glad someone else is enjoying biking ! I too just started.

NinjaCycle

Postby NinjaCycle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 pm

awsome ive covered about 46km so far