My Tour de France

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:02 pm

Yes my weight is a problem...probably more so yesterday because I was too far back in the bunch and also there where sharp corners before a few of the climbs which meant I had to really expend energy getting up to speed...was a good experience thou and good training in the end as well!.
I have no idea on the distance....I thought we where doing 50km but it appears we did one more lap than I thought :roll: ....maybee if my French was better or I had rolled to start on time I might of heard more info!....av speed was 39.2kmph...when I left Div 1 & 2 were lining up....they had a hell of a lot more riders than us!!!!.
Went for a little roll out with my wife when I got home...would feel quite good now if my boy didn't wake us up every hour last night...grrr.
Well today is a rally with the club...90km plus 22 each way there and back...I am going to arrive late so I have to chase them down for an hour or so...then settle into a nice chat ride....2 hours of French lessons :lol:

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:03 pm

Make sure you pick up some choice words for "Keep your effen line"

Enjoyed the report, almost like being there. Hard to imagine racing against 70-80 competitors in the same grade though.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:14 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Yes my weight is a problem...probably more so yesterday because I was too far back in the bunch and also there where sharp corners before a few of the climbs which meant I had to really expend energy getting up to speed...was a good experience thou and good training in the end as well!.
Great outlook on things, all I know is I'm not as good as I'd like to be :D

You must be quite fit and strong to carry the high 90kgs through that countryside.
......Went for a little roll out with my wife when I got home...would feel quite good now if my boy didn't wake us up every hour last night...grrr.
Well today is a rally with the club...90km plus 22 each way there and back...
132k today??? I thought I'd been good doing 140k over this weekend but none of it was racing and the hills were pretty non-existent..... No wonder you're fit.
I am going to arrive late so I have to chase them down for an hour or so...then settle into a nice chat ride....2 hours of French lessons :lol:

Fantastic way to look at it and what a way to get French lessons. :lol:

Good luck with the next race. I look forward to the report.

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks guys :D ...ended up chasing for 60km or more today into the wind...when i finally settled in for my French lessons they were just to slow and i started to get cold....so I took off again acting as wind break for another two riders who wanted to up the speed....legs felt good thou.
Good to get my head cleaner out of the way early in the week...Tuesday will be back into 3 x 20's :D

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Noticed you're injured in BJ. Hope it's nothing too serious Ian.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Spiza wrote:Noticed you're injured in BJ. Hope it's nothing too serious Ian.
Hope not.... I have strained the top of my calf / rear of my knee somehow... Tuesday's session was very tough and I over did it I think :roll: ...have been ice and massage for 24hours and I think I will get a recovery spin in today...fingers crossed!.

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:50 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Spiza wrote:Noticed you're injured in BJ. Hope it's nothing too serious Ian.
Hope not.... I have strained the top of my calf / rear of my knee somehow... Tuesday's session was very tough and I over did it I think :roll: ...have been ice and massage for 24hours and I think I will get a recovery spin in today...fingers crossed!.
I did the same thing last week. Top of the left calf just behind the knee. I did a bit of research and I think it's the Iliotibial Band (ITB). It took a few days to recover.

I think it was related to the saddle been a little high due to new shoes and pedals. I was using spds with mtb shoes and now using Sidi with Speedplay. An 8mm drop seemed to cure the problem.

I hope it gets better before the weekends racing :D

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Just checked Etape Du Tour website.....and YES!!!
Last edited by toolonglegs on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:32 pm

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :o :o :o

UberCool 8) Congrats TLL

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:44 pm

I hope you have your medical certificate ready :lol:

Mont Ventoux looks nasty - 21,2 km at 7,6 % :shock:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Medical cert is needed for my license so already done...haven't really payed too much attention to the course yet but will have to have a good look.I have a mate coming over from Sydney who enter in Aus...but he races a grade and climbs rather fast...so don't think we will be riding together somehow!!!.... but now I have my aim it will motivate me more!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:00 pm

how hard can it be after 140km of hard racing?

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:02 am

The last 8k looks like real HTFU territory :shock: :twisted:
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:05 am

Chuck wrote:The last 8k looks like real HTFU territory :shock: :twisted:
Oh ok got the gist of the graph now :oops: still looks mighty tough though, especially after 140k of "racing".
FPR Ragamuffin

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:49 pm

Going to be a PAINFULL!!! race tommorow...hopefully for the right reasons thou...have a self imposed 3 days off after pulling something a touch on Tuesday...could of ridden yesterday but thought better of it...could of riden today but my boy is home from school so will just have to wait till tommorow for some very exposed gutter action.I have been told this is one of the hardest races of the year because it is very exposed / flat and always windy (wind has been getting stronger over the last few days just in time!)....so lots of time in the gutter and lots of crashes.
I may end up skipping the race but fingers crossed all is good!!!.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:55 pm

Holy crap TLL you're going to ride THAT hill as part of a 140k race? :shock:

You're mad no wonder, you've been deported :lol:

Good luck with the race and whatever medical attention you need after it!
Russ

AverageSpeed

Postby AverageSpeed » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Toolong, you've found paradise. How green is that grass? .. and how good the bread and wine when you get to your destination! Once you can speak some French and really get into the local familial scene, you'll find a special side to the French - they APPRECIATE friendships over many years. The countryside to the EastSouthEast of Lake Geneva is absolutely spectacular. My brother lives in Brittany, and has found cycle touring along the canal tow-paths can be fun; away from the roads, almost in another universe...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:01 pm

toolonglegs wrote:after pulling something a touch on Tuesday
Um... TMI ? or should I ask what your pulled?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:13 pm

ruscook wrote:Holy crap TLL you're going to ride THAT hill as part of a 140k race? :shock:

You're mad no wonder, you've been deported :lol:

Good luck with the race and whatever medical attention you need after it!
Russ

:lol: no it is after 140km...here is the parcours.It is a cyclosportive,but I am sure I will be riding it harder than many races I have done...now how fast can I lose 10 kilos! :roll:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:17 pm

AverageSpeed wrote:Toolong, you've found paradise. How green is that grass? .. and how good the bread and wine when you get to your destination! Once you can speak some French and really get into the local familial scene, you'll find a special side to the French - they APPRECIATE friendships over many years. The countryside to the EastSouthEast of Lake Geneva is absolutely spectacular. My brother lives in Brittany, and has found cycle touring along the canal tow-paths can be fun; away from the roads, almost in another universe...
An expensive paradise for sure!...cold too!...wine great...bread I have to stay away from,it is just too moreish!.I follow this blog from a guy in Geneva...can't wait to have my mtb back up in running,tried riding my roadie in snow up mountains,while been a good work out it is tricky!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:21 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:after pulling something a touch on Tuesday
Um... TMI ? or should I ask what your pulled?
Nah just strained the top of my calf muscle on my left leg,not really sure why...maybee getting back onto the race bike after a winter on compact cranks...175 to 180mm...plus a change from winter boots to race shoes...I think the Sidi boots may have a bit more distance foot to pedal axle.Yes my seat is 5mm lower with the longer cranks but I did notice I was rocking a bit on Tuesday...and was a very hard training session as well.It is blowing a gail out now and even thou it is sunny it is pretty cool...still haven't decided to race or not tommorow.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:27 am

Even more impressive then. Have a great ride. and don't pull anything else while riding, it will only get you talked about :lol:

Look forward to your ride report.

Russ

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:57 am

toolonglegs wrote:Image
Loverly! Don't forget to have your photo taken on each of the peaks. You know the rule... No photo, no ride.

Otherwise it looked like Legoland. Can you get a Lego bike? :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

muggah

Postby muggah » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:20 pm

Not many flat sections in that course!
09 EMC2 Equip Elite
10 Scott Spark 40

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Um 1.7k of vertical and that's not counting the hills running up to it.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?