Deanj

Re: My Tour de France

Postby Deanj » Sat May 02, 2009 6:10 pm

Looking for ward to seeing some race powerfiles :P :wink:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 03, 2009 4:12 pm

Deanj wrote:Looking for ward to seeing some race powerfiles :P :wink:

Me too,but apart from certain parts of the race where I hit maximums..I think training is quite often harder.Although I suppose the accumulated load of a 2 hour race is higher than 3 x 20minutes at 95%ftp?.Good to see my heart rate has been up around the 190's again...thought I had dropped a bit.Not ageing too much :D .
PS...not that I have done 3 x 20's in a while :oops: .

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am

The descriptions have my goolies recoiling in potential disaster.

Sounds really good, and interesting to watch. You lucky man. Get them cameras on the bike please :D

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Mon May 04, 2009 4:43 pm

toolonglegs wrote:

Me too,but apart from certain parts of the race where I hit maximums..I think training is quite often harder.Although I suppose the accumulated load of a 2 hour race is higher than 3 x 20minutes at 95%ftp?.Good to see my heart rate has been up around the 190's again...thought I had dropped a bit.Not ageing too much :D .
You may be surprised 8)
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Ant. wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:

You may be surprised 8)

Yup..up to now it has all been guesstimate...but if I take my average heart rate in a race it gives me a pretty good idea.Anything over 160av for me is a tough race,150 something av on Friday's race...130 something the week before that won...anything over 170 is hit the changing rooms I am afraid :lol: .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Just wondering..does powertap have an average power per hour viewwable on screen?...otherwise how would you pace yourself for a 6-7 hour cyclosportive.I am still pretty nervous after my blow out a month ago!...I know I went to hard at the start and especially the first big climb...but no regrets as I wanted to crack the guys I was racing with which worked...they finished a bunch or two behind.
But in the etape I won't be racing...cough cough..ok I will be,my mate Tim...he who finished dirtworks 100 in 4hrs 20min will be starting a couple of 1000 behind me (me start # 4327...him 6???) so I tell him I will be seeing him after an hour or so...but really I will be trying to beat him to the top of Ventoux :lol: :lol: :lol: ...ok no chance I know...him 68kgs and 15 years younger and races A grade quite happily...anyway I digress.
Yes how would you pace yourself over a 7 hour race and what would be your reference for that setting?...I may or big may not do another sportive in the next 80 days before the Etape.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:39 pm

G'day Ian,

Great report, really enjoyed the read, not likely to get me doing that though.... well at least until I have built up way more strength and got past this frikkin injury of mine. :wink:

Regards

Perry

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue May 05, 2009 5:09 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Just wondering..does powertap have an average power per hour viewwable on screen?...otherwise how would you pace yourself for a 6-7 hour cyclosportive.I am still pretty nervous after my blow out a month ago!...I know I went to hard at the start and especially the first big climb...but no regrets as I wanted to crack the guys I was racing with which worked...they finished a bunch or two behind.
You can view your current power or avg power for your ride. Pressing the 2 buttons together marks a interval point on your data. Its then possible to view each intervals data while riding. So you can warm up, ride to a race etc but when you start, you can view the avg from that interval point rather than the whole ride, which would have your warm up etc affecting your avg.

Its worth reading the PDF manual a few times to get to grips with it and how pressing the buttons different ways affects what you want to do.

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Tue May 05, 2009 5:52 pm

So what are these powermeters worth all told? Did you get the SRM ones? By getting the power meter you need the chainset and everything right?
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue May 05, 2009 6:05 pm

Cyclepowermeters.com to get a sense of prices, myself and TLL have bought from this company. I went with the powertap pro+ and I think TLL went with the SL+

Powertap is a rear hub based system where the SRM is crankset.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue May 05, 2009 8:24 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Just wondering..does powertap have an average power per hour viewwable on screen?...otherwise how would you pace yourself for a 6-7 hour cyclosportive.I am still pretty nervous after my blow out a month ago!...I know I went to hard at the start and especially the first big climb...but no regrets as I wanted to crack the guys I was racing with which worked...they finished a bunch or two behind.
But in the etape I won't be racing...cough cough..ok I will be,my mate Tim...he who finished dirtworks 100 in 4hrs 20min will be starting a couple of 1000 behind me (me start # 4327...him 6???) so I tell him I will be seeing him after an hour or so...but really I will be trying to beat him to the top of Ventoux :lol: :lol: :lol: ...ok no chance I know...him 68kgs and 15 years younger and races A grade quite happily...anyway I digress.
Yes how would you pace yourself over a 7 hour race and what would be your reference for that setting?...I may or big may not do another sportive in the next 80 days before the Etape.
Nice work on the races and upgrade. I'm just catching up.

You can use the interval function on the power meter to check various numbers for individual sections of a ride.

As for pacing long sportives/Etape, I have developed a model to assist with that and coached a rider who did the Marmotte. I designed a pacing plan, which got him to top of Alpe D'Huez within about 10-minutes of modelled time. I also use it for time trial, triathlon and ironman pacing strategy development.

If you can provide:
- course elevation profile data
- an estimation of your expected mean maximal power output for a ride of that duration
then I can model how hard to go on certain section of the course in order to:
- finish
- do so in the least time for your fitness level

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue May 05, 2009 9:26 pm

Hey Ian, came upon this old post
mikesbytes wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Well I clocked up 135k's today,was more than I wanted but hammering on the way out...kept a 33av on the way out,at the half way mark thought I may of over done it,no breakfast and no food...stopped at the garage at about 85km,2 protein bars and choc bars,only kept it down for 10k's then it all came back up :( .Suffered like a dog for the last 40k's but kept the average above 30.
Now only need to do that 4 or 5 more times before putting down some killer laps at hefron in a couple of weeks.
Um, new strategy for Sat 11th, suck toolonglegs wheel and try not to get dropped :wink:
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 05, 2009 11:38 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Hey Ian, came upon this old post
mikesbytes wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Well I clocked up 135k's today,was more than I wanted but hammering on the way out...kept a 33av on the way out,at the half way mark thought I may of over done it,no breakfast and no food...stopped at the garage at about 85km,2 protein bars and choc bars,only kept it down for 10k's then it all came back up :( .Suffered like a dog for the last 40k's but kept the average above 30.
Now only need to do that 4 or 5 more times before putting down some killer laps at hefron in a couple of weeks.
Um, new strategy for Sat 11th, suck toolonglegs wheel and try not to get dropped :wink:
I can't even remember were that was!. :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 05, 2009 11:40 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Nice work on the races and upgrade. I'm just catching up.

You can use the interval function on the power meter to check various numbers for individual sections of a ride.

As for pacing long sportives/Etape, I have developed a model to assist with that and coached a rider who did the Marmotte. I designed a pacing plan, which got him to top of Alpe D'Huez within about 10-minutes of modelled time. I also use it for time trial, triathlon and ironman pacing strategy development.

If you can provide:
- course elevation profile data
- an estimation of your expected mean maximal power output for a ride of that duration
then I can model how hard to go on certain section of the course in order to:
- finish
- do so in the least time for your fitness level
That would be awesome Alex...will be a little while to know what my power expectations will be...but should have a rough idea within a week or 2.Yeah racing is going good and looking forward to playing in this harder grade!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 05, 2009 11:41 pm

Deanj wrote:Cyclepowermeters.com to get a sense of prices, myself and TLL have bought from this company. I went with the powertap pro+ and I think TLL went with the SL+

Powertap is a rear hub based system where the SRM is crankset.
YesI got the SL+...but I had to pay 15%Vat :roll: ...but I can't say enough for these guys...they even rang me to make sure it had arrived OK!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 05, 2009 11:49 pm

So got my powertap today :D ...easy to install on the bike...tubeless on a Openpro rim...not 100% sure how tubeless will go on these rims as they are a bit weird with the inserts..oh well only one way to find out.Took a while to get reading on computer thou...but sorted it finally.Haven't got the PC side on things up and running yet so will have to use Golden Cheetah and PowerAgent on my MacOS for a wee while.
As much as I wanted to do a test today I just wasn't up to it...2 days off the bike and I am still a bit tired...must be because my body dosen't like being 40 :lol: .But couldn't resist a little play :roll: ...going to a lot of fun playing & training with the power meter...will probably sit me on my bum nice and hard when I realise I am no pro! :lol: .But 5 sec today was a bit over 1000...so will be good to see what I can do there when I push it.10 minute was only 380 but I felt crap so hopefully that turns out to be in the 400's for the 20 minute...especially after I get another 10 kilos off!.So hopefully tommorow I will feel a bit more up for it body wise...at least to get a starting point!.
This going to be cool!.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 am

toolonglegs wrote:I can't even remember were that was!. :lol:
We were planing an attack, but off memory you came down with the plague and then I broke my hand.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 25, 2009 4:19 am

Hmmm..regional Championships...1.5 hours or so in...60kmph and front tyre blows of the rim.
Well least I am in one piece!.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 25, 2009 7:01 am

Wow... you managed to keep it upright ?

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Mon May 25, 2009 7:29 am

Well done for keeping wheelside down...you did didn't you?

Was tyre tubeless or clincher? :shock:

Any idea why it blew?

Emma

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 25, 2009 3:40 pm

It was tubeless...no idea why it blew...BUT...it was on my DuraAce front wheel which I have only just mounted tubeless and I think it was the 2nd time I have used it.Ran 115 psi and it was a hot day...OK here is the BUT...I have had 2 tyres blow off this rim before.One I am 100% positive about as it blew off in a race at the drag strip in Sydney.The other two times where with clinchers and I just put it down to the tyres...but maybee it was the rim...anyway it is the last time I will use that wheel for racing...the reason I put it on was it is stiffer and more aero than my Ksyrium SL (which has been fine on tubeless for nearly 2 years now).
Yeah I am happy I stayed up right...looking at my power files it only blew out at 41kmph just as I was putting the power on...so I am happy to be in one peice and not have anyone else taken out as well.
Was a tough race but way to many negative team tactics for me!.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Back on top TLL form then. Rims and now tyres can't hold that massif powa !!!!

Front tyre too !!!!

Pics or it didn't happen .....

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 25, 2009 4:36 pm

Yup...2 wheels in two weeks.Great way to blow some money :roll: .The pics wouldn't be very exciting...just look like a tyre only half on / off...but this is the 2nd time I have ridden down the road on the bare rim at full speed...anyone want a set of CHEAP duraace wheels? :lol: .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Any decent wheel builders that are local ?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 25, 2009 8:20 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Any decent wheel builders that are local ?

No idea really...Kysrium SL front has been fine for years...bit flexi but I will stick with that for now...have a few Kysrium races lying around for training...and will run the Open Pro / Powertap on the rear.