New helmet

Farmer Elvis

New helmet

Postby Farmer Elvis » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi all it is new helmet time, just wondering who has recently purchased a new helmet and is especially happy or otherwise with it and is willing to share their thoughts.

scirocco

Re: New helmet

Postby scirocco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:59 am

Limar Ultralight, fits my oval head really well and it is the lightest fully AS compliant helmet you can buy. It really is amazingly light when you pick up a Giro or Bell next to it.

Downside is that the ventilation is not as good as some. Fine for average temps tho, I only notice a problem on the hottest days.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:37 am

Kask K50, fits me very nicely and is comfortable (if you don't turn up the tightness so much it gives you a headache like I did...). The Limar 777 I had before was quieter though.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:17 am

If you've got a large 62cm head like me, I'm very happy with the Kali 'Chakra Plus' and 'Amara' helmets from Velogear.com.au. The top of the range Amara is a more MTB style, and comes with unique feature of a built in helmet mount for a number of different light mounts (supplied) - one of which works really well my CR123 battery Fenix LED torch

With the regular 'free shipping' and '15% off Kali' offers they have, the Amara recently cost me $68 delivered, and I could compare it in quality and fit to a Fox Flux helmet at twice the price

The Chakra Plus helmet is a bit lighter and cheaper and has a few issues (review somewhere here on BNA), but I just love my lime green one for the color alone

Previously, I found Limar and Giro generally fitted me pretty well, but I could never find a Lazer to fit my shape and size head

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 am

Just bought a Giro Monza.

Very happy with the fit and comfort.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 am

Kabuto Leff - nice fit for someone with corners on their bonce.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:51 am

Limar 777 seems to be the best weight for dollars at the mo. Have a google. bicyclesonline.com.au and torpedo7.com.au might end up being amongst the cheapest.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:59 am

Farmer Elvis wrote:Hi all it is new helmet time, just wondering who has recently purchased a new helmet and is especially happy or otherwise with it and is willing to share their thoughts.
Open-ended question = open-ended answers

What sort of riding are you doing?
What size and shape of head do you have?
What is your budget?
Do you have any local bike shops to try helmets on (always the best option to get the right fit)

Buying helmets without trying them on is like buying shoes without trying them on - every brand is a slightly different fit, and everyone's feet and head are different to the next person's. I reckon heads have more variance than feet - the main difference being that heads aren't (or shouldn't be) load-bearing! :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Kask K50, fits me very nicely and is comfortable (if you don't turn up the tightness so much it gives you a headache like I did...). The Limar 777 I had before was quieter though.
Kask Mojito here - very pleased with it. Was going to get a Giro but the LBS didn't have the one I wanted. Tried on the Kask and have to say, it's like you haven't got a helmet on, the thing is very nice to wear. 8)

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:29 pm

giro atmos here. stuck with giro as they seem to fit my head particularly well. super comfortable and really well vented, also so light i forget i am wearing it! very, very pleased with it.

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:12 pm

kukamunga wrote:
Farmer Elvis wrote:Hi all it is new helmet time, just wondering who has recently purchased a new helmet and is especially happy or otherwise with it and is willing to share their thoughts.
Open-ended question = open-ended answers

What sort of riding are you doing?
What size and shape of head do you have?
What is your budget?
Do you have any local bike shops to try helmets on (always the best option to get the right fit)

Buying helmets without trying them on is like buying shoes without trying them on - every brand is a slightly different fit, and everyone's feet and head are different to the next person's. I reckon heads have more variance than feet - the main difference being that heads aren't (or shouldn't be) load-bearing! :wink:
Sorry kukamunga the helmet is for road biking, some racing, I have a size 60 head and the budget under $150, I do not live near a lbs out here about 120 km to nearest

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:27 pm

I have tried many helmet brands and my latest, a Limar 777, is very comfortable and light. Not expensive, either.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/LRH ... oad-helmet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:42 pm

I am very happy with my KASK Mojito - http://www.this link is broken/KASK-Mojito ... gory=70571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kwaichang

Postby Kwaichang » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 am

g-boaf wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:Kask K50, fits me very nicely and is comfortable (if you don't turn up the tightness so much it gives you a headache like I did...). The Limar 777 I had before was quieter though.
Kask Mojito here - very pleased with it. Was going to get a Giro but the LBS didn't have the one I wanted. Tried on the Kask and have to say, it's like you haven't got a helmet on, the thing is very nice to wear. 8)
Tried a Bell Volt and the top line Giro and settled on the KASK Mojito also.
Fit was far superior to anything else and finish is high quality too. Lovely Eco leather chin strap is a winner.
Helmet is super light and airflow great. Albeit a little chilly now the weather has cooled!

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:39 pm

If you're going to buy a helmet online and use it for racing, make sure it has the AS/NZS standard approval sticker or you can't technically use it (not that they check very often..).

Wiggle had a special on some not long ago, but otherwise you're mostly limited to Aussie shops.

slian

Postby slian » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Kask mojito here too. It's so light I accidentally took off my cap without realizing I still have the helmet on!

However price seems to have gone up this year compare to last year.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:09 pm

kukamunga wrote: Do you have any local bike shops to try helmets on (always the best option to get the right fit)
and presumably buy from, we wouldn't want to use the LBS to try things to assist an online purchase.

I've got a Carrera something or other (can't read the label), it was the most comfortable and best vented that my LBS had at the time, and was on special for $99. The $350 Bell at another LBS was much more comfortable and looked really schmick but I'd rather keep the $250 in my pocket for future bike related purchases.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:24 am

scirocco wrote:Limar Ultralight, fits my oval head really well and it is the lightest fully AS compliant helmet you can buy. It really is amazingly light when you pick up a Giro or Bell next to it.

Downside is that the ventilation is not as good as some. Fine for average temps tho, I only notice a problem on the hottest days.
Me too for this one, and only $40-00 on special. Even fits my ex German head. I used to get a head ache in the left corner..... :D no longer.

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:01 am

I've had a Lidar 777 for about 20 months now, the carbon 'colour'
The clear plastic that covers the carbon-look shell has largely delaminated and looks pretty terrible when examined.

I'm not that bothered because who looks at helmets that closely anyway, but it does make me wonder if it's degraded it's ability to take a hit if asked to do it's job.

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 pm

I just got an Orbea Odin but it doesn't fit my large melon well. Great looking bit if kit though. Off to the market place soon I guess

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:08 am

scotto wrote:I just got an Orbea Odin but it doesn't fit my large melon well. Great looking bit if kit though. Off to the market place soon I guess
The orbeas are tiny helmets arent they, my rune barely fits, with a sweatband its too tight

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon May 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Has anyone tried both the Kask Mojito and Kask Vertigo?
Which do you prefer and why?

I know Mojito is lighter, but the shape of it just looks... odd to me.

Trying to see if it's worth the upgrade to Vertigo.

Kwaichang

Postby Kwaichang » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:04 pm

I have the Mojito and find the fit excellent. I didn't get a chance to try the vertigo so can't really comment on that particular model. The quality of the Kask is very high. The leatherette chin strap is a thing of beauty. The rear part that cradles the base of you bonce is also super comfy and highly adjustable. Two thumbs up!

KOM

Postby KOM » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:56 pm

Best value for money Limar 777. Can get them for $80, very lightweight

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:00 am

My 777 has delaminated.

Deciding between Kask Vertigo and Rudy Sterling