Gear restrictions!!!!

theprophet

Gear restrictions!!!!

Postby theprophet » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:35 pm

I am 15 years old so will be riding in under 17's. Going to enter the anzac day crit at casey fields.
But...
Gear restrictions for U17's is a 7 meter rollout. I have a 52-39 and a 9 speed 12-25. Obviously this does not fit gear requirements so I tried to lockout the lower 4 cogs. (I think that left me with a 17) This fits the 7 meter rollout but my rd will only lock out the lower 3 cogs using the set screw.

My question is: How can I fit these gear restrictions without spending any money or very little money?

Thanks

RonK

Re: Gear restrictions!!!!

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Have a look at the charts on this page. You should only need to stop the 12T sprocket (and lock the front derailleur).

To measure (this is similar to what the commisaires may do on race day) - mark out 7m on the ground. Roll the bike backwards from one mark to the next. The pedals should make at least one full turn.

It would be a good idea to read the rest of the rules while you are at it...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

philip

Postby philip » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to use the locking off method to restrict your gears anymore. See http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=45674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - sorry, don't have any other solutions to doing it cheaply.

theprophet

Postby theprophet » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 pm

I just bought a new cassette 14-25 and new chain as I needed to replace them anyway.

Gear locking no longer allowed?? that seems stupid. Does this mean I will need to buy a new chainring also?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Having a quick look, a 50/14 is legal for U17 (7M rollout), so compact cranks satisfy the need.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm

I don't know what happens in Victoria, but in NSW they only roll you out if U17s have their own race, or if its a State Title. For road races and crits run by local clubs, local clubs don't have the time, manpower or the inclination to give everyone a bike check to make sure that they have bar end plugs, non-filed lawyer tips, wheels that are on the approved list ...or to roll out all the kids bikes. If you are U17 and riding in a grade with adults eg C grade or something, it would be extremely unusual to get your rollout checked. Anyway, it is unfair for you to ride restricted gears against adults who are unrestricted. So I reckon you could risk it and rock up with your 39-53 and 14-25 and no-one will count the teeth on your big chainring or roll you out.

If there is an U17 race on the program then you definitely need to put a 50 tooth chainring on, you cannot lock gears off. Or borrow someones cassette which has an 11, and ride the race cross-chain fashion.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 pm

philip wrote:I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to use the locking off method to restrict your gears anymore. See http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=45674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - sorry, don't have any other solutions to doing it cheaply.
I think you can still do this for "club" level racing. For an open event I don't think its accepted any longer and you need to build up a propper cassette where your maximum gear size is legal.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

theprophet

Postby theprophet » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Contacted the club and they said that blocking will be allowed at club level but at other events will not be accepted :) will probably need to buy a 45 if I plan to keep racing.