Good Site to download bike routes

kunalraiker

Good Site to download bike routes

Postby kunalraiker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 am

Hi,

I'am planning to do 50K rides on weekends, in preparation I would like to know where I could download good Garmin Compatible routes used and popular among most riders.
I will probably drive to the start point, preference western suburbs.

RomanTheCube

Re: Good Site to download bike routes

Postby RomanTheCube » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 am

mapmyride
strava

neild

Postby neild » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:37 am

Western Suburbs Sydney or Melbourne?

For Melbourne / VIC I've come across this new site: The Cycle Atlas Project (http://www.cycleatlasproject.com/index.html). It lists a number of popular rides and you can download GPX files.

Otherwise I also use Garmin Connect to scout out rides.

Cheers
Neil.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:40 am

neild wrote:Western Suburbs Sydney or Melbourne?

For Melbourne / VIC I've come across this new site: The Cycle Atlas Project (http://www.cycleatlasproject.com/index.html). It lists a number of popular rides and you can download GPX files.

Otherwise I also use Garmin Connect to scout out rides.

Cheers
Neil.
Melbourne mate, will give cycleatlas project a go.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:50 am

I like that site!

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:30 am

gabrielle260 wrote:I like that site!

Had a look at the site, not many routes.

Any site with 50 K flat routes where one can ride without too much traffic.

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:38 pm

I've been using bikely myself, but will check these ones out too.
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Got around uploading bike routes, now when I load a ride, from home, will it route me to the start of the ride or do I need to get there manually without guidance.Hope my question makes sense.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 pm

kunalraiker wrote:Got around uploading bike routes, now when I load a ride, from home, will it route me to the start of the ride or do I need to get there manually without guidance.Hope my question makes sense.

Bump ?

sblack

Postby sblack » Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 am

kunalraiker wrote:Got around uploading bike routes, now when I load a ride, from home, will it route me to the start of the ride or do I need to get there manually without guidance.Hope my question makes sense.
What model Garmin? I'm guessing 800/810 since you mention guidance. I don't have personal experience and wonder if it's does guide you whether it would be to the start, the closest point of the course or completely reroute and guide you to the end ignoring the course. I know on the 500 if you're off course it tells you you're on course again no matter where on the course you rejoin it.

In regards to the original question I personally find strava the best for finding rides in an area. If you're not a premium member you can go to Cosmo's exporter to get the gpx from any ride. For planning my own routes I use Bike Route Toaster mostly. It allows you to send direct to the Garmin and also sends the course directions, with an option of warning before the turn, so even the 500 gets navigation prompts.

laterstarter

Postby laterstarter » Sun May 05, 2013 2:58 pm

I use Ride With GPS (ridewithgps.com). It has help files discussing benefits of downloading different types of route file (tcx or gpx track seem the go for garmin 800s.)

When you start the route in the garmin 800, it will give you an option to navigate to start. If you want to join the route at its point nearest your current location there is a prompt about finding the way to the nearest part of the route. Helpful also if take some wrong turns or divert off-route for a bit.

This site is a good resource for Garmin users http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-edge-8 ... -edge-800/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sun May 05, 2013 4:46 pm

I just found Cosmo's exporter a week ago. It's fantastic for generating courses.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0