Which wheel material will be best

warthog1

Re: Which wheel material will be best

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:37 pm

DANger-is wrote:Cheers for your thoughts guys, I've decided to go aluminium. I think for my style of riding they will fit the bill best, I will miss the bling look of the carbons though
That is the right choice I reckon. Deep carbon wheels are great for high speed racing, but that is about all they are great for.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:29 pm

DANger-is wrote:Cheers for your thoughts guys, I've decided to go aluminium. I think for my style of riding they will fit the bill best, I will miss the bling look of the carbons though
Good call. I've cranked out ~18K on my alloy wheels and they still have perfect bearings and braking surface life in them. And they are bomb-proof.

I still get a teensy bit nervous on my carbons in winter in the dark on a road I'm not completely familiar with.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Nobody wrote:
winstonw wrote:For my money, the best value for money wheels are those with generic components that can be easily replaced for a decade.
Generic by type, in other words parts to fit standard round spokes.
winstonw wrote:This won't include Shimano, Fulcrum, Mavic, none of which supply parts for that long.
For low spoke count propriety wheels, I agree. But higher spoke count Shimano hubs and Mavic rims are popular in real world cycling applications.

I believe I know what you are saying, I just added a bit for clarity. :)
according to my wheelbuilder, the hubs Shimano makes available (105, ultegra, etc) to the public are not the same hubs their factory wheelsets are made from.
he gave me the impression once an ultegra, RS80, or C24 wheelset had a failed hub, it could not be repaired due to lack of availability of compatible hubs.
would be interested in others' experience.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:20 pm

winstonw wrote:
according to my wheelbuilder, the hubs Shimano makes available (105, ultegra, etc) to the public are not the same hubs their factory wheelsets are made from.
he gave me the impression once an ultegra, RS80, or C24 wheelset had a failed hub, it could not be repaired due to lack of availability of compatible hubs.
No they are not the same hubs as in Shimano wheelsets. These are low spoke count (16f, 20r) and use straight pull spokes. The Shimano hubs sold to the public are high spoke count and designed for traditional J-bend spokes.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:46 pm

biker jk wrote:No they are not the same hubs as in Shimano wheelsets. These are low spoke count (16f, 20r) and use straight pull spokes. The Shimano hubs sold to the public are high spoke count and designed for traditional J-bend spokes.
+1
winstonw wrote:he gave me the impression once an ultegra, RS80, or C24 wheelset had a failed hub, it could not be repaired due to lack of availability of compatible hubs.
That is true from what I can see, but you can sometimes buy spokes and hub spares if you can justify the expense.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:37 pm

biker jk wrote:
winstonw wrote:
No they are not the same hubs as in Shimano wheelsets. These are low spoke count (16f, 20r) and use straight pull spokes. The Shimano hubs sold to the public are high spoke count and designed for traditional J-bend spokes.
The hub shells are different, to suit the different lacing patterns, but the internals are the same.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Dimis wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I don't see the need for those carbon wheels.

50mm are not too bad in cross winds - I'm only 60kg and don't have troubles with them. But for ordinary riding, they are not really any benefit. You could get a nice light set of alloy wheels and do better.
Agreed, no one "needs" carbon wheels.
But be honest, they look damn sexy and they are "usually" lighter in those sizes anyway which makes 'em quicker up a hill.

Just saying.
True - but they are a pain to live with in poor weather. I swapped my giant back to alloy wheels it came with (unused) and swapped the pads over too. The carbon clinchers are not fun in the rain, I've had a few occasions where I've been thinking "stop!!!!!"

The weight difference doesn't bother me too much. The 50mm I have are very slightly heavier than the Giant PSL-0 alloy wheels I have. I'll see what difference they are at higher speeds soon enough.