Any of you do weight training if so is what I do kosher

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:03 am

toolonglegs wrote:I have thougt about the power tap model but not really sure it would be great for me..main reason I would need 2...one for a strong training wheel and one for a race wheel...Am I off the mark here.SRM ones are a bit out of my range...are then any others?.
Thanks for the long reply.
Yes (ergomo, polar) but I generally don't recommend them for various reasons. Most users of these meters end up moving to SRM or PT.

You can always keep an eye out for 2nd hand SRMs in good nick. And there are always plenty of pre-loved PTs available.

I have a race wheel and a training wheel in PT set up (although I train just as much on the race wheel - it's just a Velocity Aerohead OC), also a fixed gear PT wheel. But I also have two SRMs as well :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:05 pm

well i am in the land of cycling know so maybee I can ring up me old team mate mcgee and try my luck :D ...or keep an eye out for ebay.
On the polar versions that i have wonder about...why in your opinion are they not that accurate?.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:12 pm

toolonglegs wrote:well i am in the land of cycling know so maybee I can ring up me old team mate mcgee and try my luck :D ...or keep an eye out for ebay.
On the polar versions that i have wonder about...why in your opinion are they not that accurate?.
There's an SRM for sale posted at wattage forum and another on UK TT forum. Always good to check the Slowtwitch classifieds as well.

Polars work if you set them up right and keep em set up right. Accuracy is pretty good if set up right but in reality you need to run it against another PM to know. Getting the chain weighed accurately is very important.

But, in the real world 8/10 of the guys I've coached or ride with that have had 'em have moved onto PT or SRM as they simply couldn't get reliable data, make 'em work painlessly.

The set up wouldn't remain stable on their bike, the stay sensor would move or for some other reason it didn't suit the bike. In the end, some guys are not interested in stuffing around to make sure their meter works.

It also doesn't work well when you ride on a home trainer.