Where's your next race? cabici.net

For Roadies

Where's your next race? cabici.net

Postby stevecassidy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Well, even though the BFV has posted already about this I thought I'd start a thread of my own to collect feedback and comments.

For a while I've been aware that there are more races going on in Sydney than I know about and I've found it a bit hard to get details of the races that I did know about because of the different ways that clubs list and publicise their events. Wouldn't it be neat if there was a single site that you could go to for details of all the races in the area. More than this, I know that there are races out of Sydney that might be fun to travel to, but finding out about them is tricky unless you know the clubs. Cycling NSW does a great job of listing the larger Open events but there are many more races going on every week around the state.

Being a web person by trade I decided to take on the project and build a little web site. In doing the research I discovered races I didn't know about and found race schedules that took a bit of work to uncover. The site is fairly simple at the moment and includes only races in the immediate Sydney area; I hope to expand this as the bugs are ironed out if the site proves useful to the racing community.

So, please take a look at cabici.net.

(the name is just a vaguely Euro-cool sounding bike related non-word, but it might be short for Carreras de Bicicletas, pronunciation will depend on whether you lean towards Spanish (kabisi) or Italian (kabichi)).

I'm happy to take suggestions and corrections either here or via email ( [email protected] ). Bear in mind that this is a spare time project so new features will be added slowly.

Thanks,

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney
stevecassidy

by BNA » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 am

BNA

Re: Where's your next race? cabici.net

Postby MREJ » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks Steve. Your site is very helpful.
2010 Charge Plug, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, 2012 Felt F75, 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL
MREJ

Postby igstar » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:24 pm

I've been putting off doing something similar for Melbourne but too much effort.
igstar

Postby RomanTheCube » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Like it a lot as I had the same issue - constantly checking different clubs and sites to find the weekends races and locations etc.

One suggestion I do have - If you could add the ability to filter the races by location that would be great. That, and it might be nice to filter by race type as well (eg: crit, TT, road, track etc)

well done on the initiative though - I will use it :]
RomanTheCube

Postby MREJ » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:56 pm

Steve, could you list the races by likelihood that I will win? I've been looking for a site that does that, but I can't find any reliable ones.
2010 Charge Plug, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, 2012 Felt F75, 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL
MREJ

Postby Leethal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:09 am

That's great, thanks Steve,

Definitely makes it easier for those new to the state.

Cheers, Lee
Last edited by Leethal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leethal

Postby stevecassidy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:14 am

igstar wrote:I've been putting off doing something similar for Melbourne but too much effort.

Hi igstar, if you're interested in working on Melbourne clubs/races please get in touch. I'm not sure I could do it on my own.

Steve
stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:17 am

RomanTheCube wrote:One suggestion I do have - If you could add the ability to filter the races by location that would be great. That, and it might be nice to filter by race type as well (eg: crit, TT, road, track etc)

Hi Roman, I think filtering will be useful, I'll put it on the todo list. It will be more relevant if I can expand the number of races listed to different regions. I've already had the suggestion of separating out the Junior races for example.

Steve
stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 am

MREJ wrote:Steve, could you list the races by likelihood that I will win? I've been looking for a site that does that, but I can't find any reliable ones.

Hi Marcus, well there has been the suggestion of separately listing the Junior races...

Steve
stevecassidy

Postby RomanTheCube » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:35 am

One question for you Steve - How are you sourcing the data and how is that data maintained? Is it a pure manual process? I don't imagine these club sites have nice API's available for you to grab information from ;)
RomanTheCube

Postby stevecassidy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 pm

RomanTheCube wrote:One question for you Steve - How are you sourcing the data and how is that data maintained? Is it a pure manual process? I don't imagine these club sites have nice API's available for you to grab information from ;)

Hi Roman,
some of the clubs have icalendar feeds, they're relatively easy but there's not much consistency in how the fields are used so a bit of caution is needed. Others have well structured pages that I can scape (Waratahs for example). If that fails then I've just entered them manually. I've got things in there that should help me spot changes to the schedules when I re-load the data but time will tell how manageable this process is. I'm working on improving the manual entry for myself, eg. for adding regular races that are the same each week.

Longer term I think it will be necessary to recruit volunteers to keep things up to date or offer to let clubs manage their own listings. This will only be worthwhile for them if this service takes off so I forsee maintaining it myself for a while until the site takes hold.

Steve
stevecassidy

Postby Trek_Arty » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Great website Steve, now all we need is the clubs to talk to each other a little so we don't have so many races clashing on the same days!! ;)
Trek_Arty

Return to Road Biking