New heart rate strap

For Roadies

Re: New heart rate strap

Postby Paul B » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Ben82 wrote:Here is your Answer!

http://www.wiggle.com.au/polar-spare-el ... link-plus/

The Polar strap is a direct replacement, you just clip the garmin sender unit straight to it and away you go.
I had the same issues with the oridginal Garmin premium strap it only lasted 3 months, I purchased the Polar strap back in March and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Have just ordered from Wiggle. The Garmin is becoming more and more unreliable. Completely useless in fact.
Paul B

by BNA » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:15 pm

BNA

Postby Farmer Elvis » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Paul B wrote:

The Polar strap is a direct replacement, you just clip the garmin sender unit straight to it and away you go.
I had the same issues with the oridginal Garmin premium strap it only lasted 3 months, I purchased the Polar strap back in March and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Have just ordered from Wiggle. The Garmin is becoming more and more unreliable. Completely useless in fact.

Same
Farmer Elvis

Postby Ben82 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:14 pm

I should hit Wiggle up for a commission.
Ben82

Postby maxyc » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 am

Yeah I have a Premium Garmin heart rate strap and I quite often get erratic heart rate readings. I find that licking the sensors before you put it can help. This is a good article on how to trouble shoot the problem:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/trou ... -rate.html
maxyc

Postby Paul B » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:28 pm

maxyc wrote:Yeah I have a Premium Garmin heart rate strap and I quite often get erratic heart rate readings. I find that licking the sensors before you put it can help. This is a good article on how to trouble shoot the problem:

nice theory... none of those remedies has proved to be consistently successful for me. My Polar strap can't arrive soon enough.
Paul B

Postby biker jk » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:31 pm

My Polar strap arrived today and the Garmin sender unit snapped straight into the studs. No cutting was required. It's working well but I will take it for a proper test ride on Thursday.
biker jk

Postby Paul B » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:31 pm

biker jk wrote:My Polar strap arrived today and the Garmin sender unit snapped straight into the studs. No cutting was required. It's working well but I will take it for a proper test ride on Thursday.

yep... mine arrived yesterday. Same, plugged straight in. Raining here but will give it a run soon.
Paul B

Postby Farmer Elvis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Paul B wrote:
biker jk wrote:My Polar strap arrived today and the Garmin sender unit snapped straight into the studs. No cutting was required. It's working well but I will take it for a proper test ride on Thursday.

yep... mine arrived yesterday. Same, plugged straight in. Raining here but will give it a run soon.

Mine to but when I put it around my chest it came un-clipped, so time to do some doctoring. :mrgreen:
Farmer Elvis

Postby Milky4130 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:09 am

Just stumbled across this thread, I also have the soft premium belt with same issues. I just replaced the battery. Will test tomorrow. Just out of curiosity do you guys detach the sensor from the strap after use, as leaving it attached will drain the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Milky4130

Postby NhiTrac » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:25 am

Tim wrote:The Garmin "premium" straps are garbage.
Rob from Highly Tuned Athletes who sold me my Garmin unit told me that they are consumables. That is a load of BS in my book.
My strap lasted about six months.
On Rob's recommendation I replaced mine with the earlier model Garmin strap;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-GARMIN-HEART-RATE-MONITOR-STRAP-/290946907262?pt=AU_Exercise_Accessories&hash=item43bdc97c7e

This one has been working without fault for nearly twelve months.

Funny that. I just did the exact same thing and mine spikes every. Single. Ride.

I found that its likely to be sweat that's causing it to 'short out' as when I give my chest a wipe with my jersey the HR will suddenly dri to normal levels before going back up to 150 - 250. It's been shitting me so much I don't wear it anymore. It's only a month old too :-(
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac

Postby Slvr32gtr » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:52 am

Same issues here. I replaced mine with the Polar Wearlink strap off Wiggle for $19. Direct plug in of the Garmin sender unit without having to cut anything. Works great and have had no issues with the Polar option.
Slvr32gtr

Postby biker jk » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Slvr32gtr wrote:Same issues here. I replaced mine with the Polar Wearlink strap off Wiggle for $19. Direct plug in of the Garmin sender unit without having to cut anything. Works great and have had no issues with the Polar option.

+1. Did a 105km ride today and no crazy spikes in the HR readings.
biker jk

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:12 am

The polar wear link strap will fail too but it will last longer than the garmin one. Long term fix is the cheap garmin strap.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Marty Moose

Postby Milky4130 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:45 am

Curious that nobody mentioned that they tried replacing their batteries first. Something I also
found to influence the readings are over head power lines, not sure if have it running in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Milky4130

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:34 am

Milky4130 wrote:Curious that nobody mentioned that they tried replacing their batteries first. Something I also
found to influence the readings are over head power lines, not sure if have it running in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Several times :)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Marty Moose

Postby Slvr32gtr » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Milky4130 wrote:Curious that nobody mentioned that they tried replacing their batteries first. Something I also

Yeah i also tried replacing the batteries first but it had no effect.

I did get a solid 12mths out of my Garmin strap with out any issues apart from the occasional spike. I refuse to pay $45 for a new Garmin elastic strap though, thats beyond ridiculous!! $19 for the Polar Wearlink was much more reasonable and had some tried and tested reviews.
Slvr32gtr

Postby snortin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Paul B wrote:
maxyc wrote:Yeah I have a Premium Garmin heart rate strap and I quite often get erratic heart rate readings. I find that licking the sensors before you put it can help. This is a good article on how to trouble shoot the problem:

nice theory... none of those remedies has proved to be consistently successful for me. My Polar strap can't arrive soon enough.

I had major issues with mine also.

The solution is the location of the strap - number 4 in the linked article. I have mine positioned so the clip is basically right in the middle of my chest (which means the transmitting device is basically under my left arm).

Also make sure you don't have a flappy jersey.

I have had elevated heart rate twice in over a year following this approach.....

edited for number correction
snortin

Postby Paul B » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:51 pm

have done that... no good.
Paul B

Postby Farmer Elvis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:58 pm

DavidL wrote:

These straps are not longer a plug and go arrangement. They have added a little plastic shroud around the clips that won't let the Garmin plug into it. Takes about 5min with a sharp knife though to cut them back and your right to go.

Got that exact strap last month to replace the Garmin one that had all the problems listed above.

- David.

All I know is I followed the above advice and appears to be working flawlessly
Farmer Elvis

Postby Paul B » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 pm

The Polar strap is working as it should. The Garmin device clipped in without any modification required.
Paul B

Postby Bah77 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:31 pm

My garmin strap didnt start giving dodgy readings til i'd had it for 3 months, any confirmation the issues wont pop up on a different strap?

And if not, whats in the garmin strap that makes it go wonky?
Bah77

Postby Ben82 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:58 pm

My polar strap has not missed a beat, it's not all that old but. I was in the same boat my garmin strap only lasted 3 months, so I hit the web to see what the go with these straps was. I stumbled onto a forum somewhere which stated the polar straps were the s$#t. My only guess being a sparky and all is that there is a contact issue due to corrosion internally in the strap. I will perform a biopsy on my old garmin strap and report back.
Ben82

Postby kb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:00 am

Ben82 wrote:My polar strap has not missed a beat

I don't my garmin strap has either - in fact it puts in several extra for me sometimes ;-)
kb

Postby Paul B » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:05 am

My Garmin was recording high readings 225 at the start of the ride and then seemed to be working normal. However, the last four times I used it the avg heart rate reading was in the 40s after intense sessions. Stopped using it after that till I got the Polar strap.
Paul B

Postby Nickbar » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:53 am

+1 for this! No more strange numbers
Nickbar

PreviousNext

Return to Road Biking