Wide Road Shoes

For Roadies

Wide Road Shoes

Postby MDL » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:39 am

Hey guys -

Anyone have some input on a pair of wide fit shoes? Was looking at the Bont +'s in a Wide but after waiting 8 weeks for an order from overseas and then the Shoes "not being on the order" and having to wait ANOTHER 8-10 weeks i may look at something different. I tried the 44's on but i can feel the carbon on the lower/outer part of my ball. It's the base so it's non moldable part.

I was looking at the shamino R320 but was wondering on what's people thoughts are. Shoes are though - something you have to try on.

Or unless you know someone that's sitting on a pair of 44 wide Bont's or even now online.

Matthew
Image
MDL
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:18 am
Location: Toowoomba QLD

by BNA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:29 am

BNA
 

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby Slvr32gtr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:29 am

I have size 43/44 - 2e wide feet and have recently upgraded my shoes. My first pair of shoes were size 44 R105 Shimano's and i thought they were ok, however, after about 100km i was getting lots of pain through the outside of my feet at the knuckle of the small toe (5th metatarsal).

I recently went around and tried on a heap of shoes to try and sort this out -
Older style Northwave Typhoon/Fighter shoes - seemed to be pretty good but its hard to say without doing a decent ride in them.
latest Northwave Evo's - Were too skinny and i could tell straight away that they werent suitable.
Sidi - Tried the wides (mega fit) on but they are also wide at the heel cup and didnt suit my foot.

I ended up getting a set of Shimano 44e wide fit R320's in. Definitely enough room across the foot where i was having issues previously. I bought them at Velo in Brizzie as they have the shimano vacuum sealing and oven tools to custom fit them to your feet. So far they have been great and are super light and stiff.

Best bet would be to go try them on if you can find them. You might not have much luck sourcing them in Toowoomba, but if you are in Brisbane over a weekend, ring around some of the shops in advance as there should be some available. Shops to check with would be: Velo, Planet cycles, 99 Bikes, Fusion and Goldcross (these shops usually have good ranges of shoes in stock).

Tony
User avatar
Slvr32gtr
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby Sith1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 am

I have the Bonts in a wide fit , and to be honest well worth the wait. Previously I had Specialized Pro but the amount f heel slip was driving me mad . That was $299 down the drain ....
I contacted Bont direct speaking with Steven Nemeth and he was so good to deal with , smoothed out the waiting /delivery time by 2 weeks.
I have just updated to the Bont Boa system now , and if you can afford them I recommend them over the ratchet style.
Image
Sith1
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: K Town

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby flex5150 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:08 am

I had a very similar experience to R32GTRsilvia180sx. Had shimano 315... developed intermittent outer toe pain but shoe (43) was wide enough and comfortable.

had to upgrade to SP specific, tried diadora proracers ..way too narrow in the toe, as was sidi wire 43, went with a 44 wire and an oththotic inner sole... no heal slip as its adjustable on those. still get the intermittent outer toe pain so dont put it down to the shoes.
That said I have heard goods things about Bont from some neanderthal friends.
User avatar
flex5150
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby Slvr32gtr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 am

flex5150 wrote:I had a very similar experience to R32GTRsilvia180sx. Had shimano 315... developed intermittent outer toe pain but shoe (43) was wide enough and comfortable.

had to upgrade to SP specific, tried diadora proracers ..way too narrow in the toe, as was sidi wire 43, went with a 44 wire and an oththotic inner sole... no heal slip as its adjustable on those. still get the intermittent outer toe pain so dont put it down to the shoes.
That said I have heard goods things about Bont from some neanderthal friends.


Thats a good point Flex; I will ad that I was getting the pain constantly and early on with the R105's initially, but i fitted some insoles to help support my arches better as they roll in naturally. This definitely helped for the shorter rides etc as i was no longer getting the pain. Long rides it starts to happen still though and when the shoe is taken off, you can see the redness around the 5th metatarsal where it is rubbing/adding pressure.
User avatar
Slvr32gtr
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby Sith1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 am

Sorry forgot to mention
Innersoles are paramount with BONT ... I went with E-SOLES fully adjustable and place some of that anti slip cloth underneath
Image
Sith1
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: K Town

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby ashleyk » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:31 pm

I had the same problem, started off with shimano RO86 shoes and found I was getting very sore feet after only a few km's and would hurt untill I removed them.

I even tried persevering with then for 6-7 months until I went and tried on a pair of Northwave Typhoon's. I believe Tony is correct in saying the older ones were better and wider, I haven't tried any on recently, however mine are around 2 years old and I have quite a wide size 11-12 foot, and they are perfect.

For a shoe that was only around $150 in a retail shop, they were a great buy.
ashleyk
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby rebilda » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:48 pm

I plod around all day in nice wide safety boots. Have done for 25years. When I spent more than 2 hrs in my Shimano R077's (or what ever they are) I got this crippling pain from my feet being squashed in the narrow shoes.

Since splurging on some Sidi, "Mega" size, cycling shoes, I've not had any real issues. The wider fit made all the difference for me. So much so, that I now want to go the same way with my MTB shoes.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2
User avatar
rebilda
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby twizzle » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:36 pm

I ride Bont Vaypor in 46W.
I also have some barely-used ones in 45W sitting at home which I haven't gotten around to selling yet.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby kunama » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Sidi Mega5 have a very wide toebox, perfect for me.
kunama
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby MarkG » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Bont Vapor, S-Works, NW and LG all work well..
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:13 pm

kunama wrote:Sidi Mega5 have a very wide toebox, perfect for me.


+1
Image
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
User avatar
coffeeandwine
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm
Location: Buninyong, Vic

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby eeksll » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:44 pm

I wear 2E runners. But it appears my "wide" feet are really only mega wide at the toe section.

I tried shimano wide shoes (43 wide fit), TBH they are a little too wide on the back but due to the stiff uncompromising material they hurt right on the outside of the little toe (after an hour or so).

I am currently using mavics which have a much more supple material in the toe box area and they are fantastic (43 1/3 or 43 2/3 mavic have some strange sizing there). So if that is a similar issue ... would be worth trying some more supple shoes.

I also own a pair of "low end" specialised mtb shoe (43), they are slightly narrow for me, I think I can feel the edge of the sole, but after "breaking them in" the material is quite supple so even though they don't fit 100% they dont hurt.

Also own a pair of LG's (44), they are also quite wide but I also went up a size there. Ok for my commute for the time being, but wouldnt really want to do long hard rides in them.
eeksll
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby Bob_TAS » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:57 pm

My '10.5' NorthWaves are definitely not wide enough, even after heat moulding.
User avatar
Bob_TAS
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:39 pm
Location: Hobart

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby rossocorsa » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi. I wear a 16 4E runner, and I picked up a pair of Shimano R087s and they fit perfectly. Couldn't be happier.
rossocorsa
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby winstonw » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:15 pm

I take a 45 EEE. Shimano, NorthWave, and Specialized have been good, with Specialized being the best out of the box.

Sidi even sizes are too narrow, so I a longer size, which is better avoided so you are less inclined to toe your front wheel, and can adjust the cleat better.
User avatar
winstonw
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby jack11 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:34 pm

I have wide feet and went for a pair of Shimano R320s in the 'wide' fit. They may be expensive but they are infinitely more comfortable than my old Louis Garneau shoes.
Please support my efforts to raise $2,500 for theRide to Conquer Cancer!

[url]
goo.gl/ONjr0t[/url]
jack11
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby GTRmon7 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Slvr32gtr wrote:I have size 43/44 - 2e wide feet and have recently upgraded my shoes. My first pair of shoes were size 44 R105 Shimano's and i thought they were ok, however, after about 100km i was getting lots of pain through the outside of my feet at the knuckle of the small toe (5th metatarsal).

I recently went around and tried on a heap of shoes to try and sort this out -
Older style Northwave Typhoon/Fighter shoes - seemed to be pretty good but its hard to say without doing a decent ride in them.
latest Northwave Evo's - Were too skinny and i could tell straight away that they werent suitable.
Sidi - Tried the wides (mega fit) on but they are also wide at the heel cup and didnt suit my foot.

I ended up getting a set of Shimano 44e wide fit R320's in. Definitely enough room across the foot where i was having issues previously. I bought them at Velo in Brizzie as they have the shimano vacuum sealing and oven tools to custom fit them to your feet. So far they have been great and are super light and stiff.

Best bet would be to go try them on if you can find them. You might not have much luck sourcing them in Toowoomba, but if you are in Brisbane over a weekend, ring around some of the shops in advance as there should be some available. Shops to check with would be: Velo, Planet cycles, 99 Bikes, Fusion and Goldcross (these shops usually have good ranges of shoes in stock).

Tony


Which stores in Brisbane stock the SIDI wide fits? RCC have SIDIs but have to order in the wides. I was hoping to try some on before buying. I've outgrown those LGs I bought from you! :lol:

- Alex
GTRmon7
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:54 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby Slvr32gtr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:29 pm

Haha not sure Alex! Im pretty sure Fusion may have had some in stock but I would ring and ask. Velo, Semi Racer, MB Cycles and possibly Planet stock them as well from memory.
User avatar
Slvr32gtr
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:28 pm

GTRmon7 wrote:
Which stores in Brisbane stock the SIDI wide fits? RCC have SIDIs but have to order in the wides. I was hoping to try some on before buying. I've outgrown those LGs I bought from you! :lol:

- Alex


Australian distributor's site here they should be able to tell you.

I agree trying on is best approach, big shout out to Port Melbourne cycles who didn't have my (Mega) size in stock but ordered them in. One very happy customer (no connection).
Image
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
User avatar
coffeeandwine
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm
Location: Buninyong, Vic

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby cplus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:51 pm

I've just ordered some wide R320's after the local BONT dealer wasn't really interested in ordering a wide in for me.

I was asking for a 45W, nothing truly odd. But they were not interested in getting me in something "different"

Anyone would have thought I was ordering a 55w in bright green or something...
cplus
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby Chookman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 pm

cplus wrote:I've just ordered some wide R320's after the local BONT dealer wasn't really interested in ordering a wide in for me.

I was asking for a 45W, nothing truly odd. But they were not interested in getting me in something "different"

Anyone would have thought I was ordering a 55w in bright green or something...


The R320's are a nice shoe. More room in the toe box than all previous R3xx versions. A few other changes you probably know of are the flatter carbon sole and additional cleat mounting holes which allow you to place your cleats up to 11mm further back than previous versions. Apparently some of the changes were influenced by Pearl Izumi (which Shimano now own).
Chookman
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:44 am

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby cplus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:08 pm

apparently that is where the tech for the inner soles comes from too (PI)

looking forward to trying them out and having them moulded!
cplus
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby Chookman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:47 am

cplus wrote:apparently that is where the tech for the inner soles comes from too (PI)

looking forward to trying them out and having them moulded!


Unless you have tight spots etc, I wouldn't bother with the moulding... unless you are getting it for free! The only mouldable bits are the heel, toe caps and the inner sole. The earlier models (300, 310) had a lot more plastic and were more mouldable.
Chookman
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:44 am

Re: Wide Road Shoes

Postby cplus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:57 am

Yeah not paying for moulding - no downside I reckon.
cplus
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Next

Return to Road Biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ironhanglider



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit