Looking for Gong Ride partner(s) - average 30km/h

For Roadies

Looking for Gong Ride partner(s) - average 30km/h

Postby gerardvok » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi.
I would like to ride the Gongride with one or more people on the day who are interested in drafting and going at a reasonable clip.
I'm no Simon Gerrans but I plan on an average speed of 30km/h - 32km/h. No commitments here.. if I'm too slow you can take off, but ideally I'm looking for a similar rider.

Its my first time riding the gongride, and I suspect that people tend to naturally group up but it would be cool to get a small group together for the purpose of sharing the slipstream anyway. Planning on starting the ride at 6am.

If you are interested please respond by email. Thanks.

Gerard van Ommen, Sydney.
[color=#FF4000][mod]email address removed, please PM[/mod][/color]
gerardvok

by BNA » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:45 pm

BNA

Re: Looking for Gong Ride partner(s) - average 30km/h

Postby Pedaling » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:45 pm

Hey mate,
The ride is very social and does not really get moving until after about 5 to 10kms.
During the start of the ride just strike up a conversation with someone like minded and gauge what level they are at, and see if they want to share a wheel.
There are so many riders riding at your pace level, that you will have no dramas finding ride partners.
BTW, leave something in the tank for the ride out of the national park, as you can make it difficult for yourself otherwise.
Most of all just enjoy the day, be social, as everyone is there to enjoy the ride.
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
Pedaling

Postby gerardvok » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi Darrin. Cool. I figured that people would group up on the day. I'm not really of the 'race' mindset but do want to push myself for a decent time relative to my current efforts. Thanks for the good advice re the National Park. I dont know the route but have been riding to Katoomba from Glenbrook as part of my preparation. From what I can tell the course is very up and down versus continuous climb then down again..? Can you comment on the condition of the roads and how much traffic riders deal with on the ride? Enjoy the ride.
gerardvok

Postby sogood » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:22 pm

If you start early, you'll be guaranteed to find riders of similar ability and intent as you along the way. Really no need to pre-arrange unless you want to make lasting friends.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby Pedaling » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:29 am

Yeh Gerard,
To avoid traffic (meaning cyclists and motorists) start the ride early, 6am. The weather is usually kinder also with headwinds and such.
As for the hills, there are some climbs and great descents, although you ride them at your own pace, just find a rhythm, use a higher cadence for the ride, and you will complete it easily.
We are riding in an NRMA team, so we will be taking easy, although if you see any NRMA jerseys there say hello, and you are more than welcome to join us if you wish.
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
Pedaling

Return to Road Biking