Road tyre's - What's your rubber of choice?

macca33

Re: Road tyre's - What's your rubber of choice?

Postby macca33 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:34 am

Second puncture in 12000km+ last Saturday during the Slog - again, it was a rear-tyre Maxxis Re-Fuse...lol.

Still loving the Conti GP4000s.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:18 pm

foo on patrol wrote:There is no comparison between car and treadly tyres. :? Unless the process and compounds have change in the last 30yrs. The strips I sat aside were Clement 3s which were silk walled and slicks and I never had a problem on the track if there was a little damp spot, not saturated though. :shock:

Maybe things are different now, I don't know but if you buy a tyre that is crap in the wet to start with, then it still isn't going to get any better! :wink:

Foo
The comparison is valid IMO in that they are both constructed with a rubber outer surface. The grip properties of rubber do not appear to improve with age as the rubber hardens. There may be an improvement in mileage but that will be accompanied by a decrease in grip.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:42 am

Another Rubino Pro fan here.

They're fantastic value, plus you can match them with the colour of your bike if you're into that! :D

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:16 am

Dunno whether they've been mentioned in the thread yet, but I'd like to warn about Mavic Aksion tyres in the wet. I recently put my old wheels on to keep my good ones safe from my pothole infested local roads and have been riding these the past week. They performed well enough on a DRY hotdog crit course Friday night, but in the wet this morning I had the rear wheel slip on a 10kph u-turn and then the front slipped on a 25kph easy, wide corner. I stayed upright, but was not happy. They're coming off this arvo and going to be for trainer use only. They are VERY unsafe. ..

sent from a MacGalaxy far, far away. ..
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:32 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Just checked my kms- I now have 6400km on my 23mm GP4000S'. Rear getting low but not totally knackered. Still have only had that one puncture in the first week, none since. Pleased with that, considering the grip they give. Will get a new one soonish and put the old front on the back.
7200km and counting. Wonder how far I can go? Mad life for a rear tyre with that amount of grip.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:00 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
7200km and counting. Wonder how far I can go? Mad life for a rear tyre with that amount of grip.

That is almost twice what I get from a rear. I'm lucky to get about 4k, but I'm happy with that, given the grip, ride quality and puncture resistance of the tyre
Just got another 3 from c r c for ~ $33- each (10% off) :)

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:28 am

I've had a 6 month puncture free run on my usual commuter roadie and SS on Re-Fuse tyres. I've ridden over much glass and over some of the nastiest bits of littered bike lane/path. Just for the record, in the Commonwealth Hill tunnel yesterday arvo, there was a massive puddle of broken glass, about 3 or 4 cm deep. I didn't see it until I was in it, as I has a couple of riders ahead of me and did the 'why are they doin... oh, that's why'. No problems for the Re-Fuse, while one of the riders ahead of me who hadn't seen it until too late stopped to join the guy already fixing a puncture.

That said, all the raving about GP4000s on here re toughness, grip and ride got me curious enough to give them a shot on my 80's roadie. This bike will be getting about half my commuting kms, so I'm really curious to see how they go. First ride in this morning on them, and I have to say they felt pretty nice...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:08 pm

lobstermash wrote:I've had a 6 month puncture free run on my usual commuter roadie and SS on Re-Fuse tyres. I've ridden over much glass and over some of the nastiest bits of littered bike lane/path. Just for the record, in the Commonwealth Hill tunnel yesterday arvo, there was a massive puddle of broken glass, about 3 or 4 cm deep. I didn't see it until I was in it, as I has a couple of riders ahead of me and did the 'why are they doin... oh, that's why'. No problems for the Re-Fuse, while one of the riders ahead of me who hadn't seen it until too late stopped to join the guy already fixing a puncture.

That said, all the raving about GP4000s on here re toughness, grip and ride got me curious enough to give them a shot on my 80's roadie. This bike will be getting about half my commuting kms, so I'm really curious to see how they go. First ride in this morning on them, and I have to say they felt pretty nice...
yeah same here lobster, I went some 25mm GP4000s last week on my newish Giant Defy Comp/SL1's because of the reviews on here (and also I wanted to test out the diff between the 25mm Durano Plus's I have on the Flight/mavic ksyriums). I can't split them, both really nice tyres...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:18 pm

queequeg wrote:....I have two Marathon Supremes to test out as replacements. They are 1/3 the weight of the Marathon Plus, so we'll see if they hold up in terms of puncture protection. If not, it is back to the SMPs!
How'd you go with the supreme's?

I too have tried out the supremes on my flat bar bike and I'm pretty much convered. 32s they are and enourmously lighter then the marathon plus, seem fastish and grippy enough, no flats yet *touch wood*. Only done 3000kms or so in the 6 weeks they have been on but it seems mileage will be pretty good too. Running 60~70 psi in them.

Sorry for the hijack. Not road tyres (of the 23/25 variety), but do a pretty good impersonation for tyres that can also handle a bit of dirt and rougher roads with no probs :)

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:21 pm

Holy moly! They're some serious kms!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:26 pm

anttismo wrote:
queequeg wrote:....I have two Marathon Supremes to test out as replacements. They are 1/3 the weight of the Marathon Plus, so we'll see if they hold up in terms of puncture protection. If not, it is back to the SMPs!

I too have tried out the supremes on my flat bar bike and I'm pretty much convered. 32s they are and enourmously lighter then the marathon plus, seem fastish and grippy enough. Only done 3000kms or so in the 6 weeks they have been on but it seems mileage will be pretty good too. Running 60~70 psi in them.

Sorry for the hijack. Not road tyres (of the 23/25 variety), but do a pretty good impersonation for tyres that can also handle a bit of dirt and rougher roads with no probs :)
After just under 1,000km, this happened:-

Sidewall slashed by debris on a tyre with 1 month use. Not very impressed.
Weight saving is great, puncture protection seems good despite flimsy feel, but the sidewall is barely 1mm thick and it tore like paper when I hit some debris whilst leaning to cross an on-ramp.
I just ordered 4 new SMP tyres (AT) $37 each. They are $20 cheaper per tyre than the supremes, and my current SMP now has almost 22,000km on it!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:22 pm

queequeg wrote:
anttismo wrote:

I too have tried out the supremes on my flat bar bike and I'm pretty much convered. 32s they are and enourmously lighter then the marathon plus, seem fastish and grippy enough. Only done 3000kms or so in the 6 weeks they have been on but it seems mileage will be pretty good too. Running 60~70 psi in them.

Weight saving is great, puncture protection seems good despite flimsy feel, but the sidewall is barely 1mm thick and it tore like paper when I hit some debris whilst leaning to cross an on-ramp.
I just ordered 4 new SMP tyres (AT) $37 each. They are $20 cheaper per tyre than the supremes, and my current SMP now has almost 22,000km on it!

Life's to short to ride tyres that ride like concrete.

I don't know how people ride to get slashes and punctures like that. I ride tyres with very little puncture protection, 27mm Challenge Parigi Roubaix, Veloflex master 25mm and 28mm Panaracer Pasela, and very rarely get a puncture and I have never slashed a road tyre.

These tyres are used for commuting, training and events.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:33 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
queequeg wrote:

I don't know how people ride to get slashes and punctures like that. I ride tyres with very little puncture protection, 27mm Challenge Parigi Roubaix, Veloflex master 25mm and 28mm Panaracer Pasela, and very rarely get a puncture and I have never slashed a road tyre.

You clearly don't know about the M2 shoulder. I know quite a few who ride it and the debris they mention is amazing.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:43 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
queequeg wrote:
anttismo wrote: How'd you go with the supreme's?

Nothing special. Just freewheeling at about 20km/h on the M2 shoulder, turned my front wheel to cross the on-ramp from Lane Cone Rd, then "bang!", and that is the hole I received.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:10 pm

lobstermash wrote: That said, all the raving about GP4000s on here re toughness, grip and ride got me curious enough to give them a shot on my 80's roadie. This bike will be getting about half my commuting kms, so I'm really curious to see how they go. First ride in this morning on them, and I have to say they felt pretty nice...
Hmmm, too early to declare it, but I reckon I've gained about 1km/h on my average just from the tyre change... Both ends of the commute above 31km/h today with plenty of stops and starts and slow points thrown in there.

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:24 am

I've been a big fan of Conti GP4000S (23's), but my recent new bike came with S-Works Turbo 24's.

Have only done ~500km on them so far, so can't speak to puncture protection, however, they roll very well and the cornering grip is great. The Venge is a much stiffer bike, so I expected a noticeable reduction in comfort, but there wasn't! As they're a 24, I run slightly lower pressures and I think the tyres have played a large part in reducing the comfort gap between the two bikes.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:48 am

Something I did notice was the extra lean required for turns on the 25s.

But back on my normal roadie with Re-Fuse 23s this morning. Unfortunately the rear still has proabably 1500-2000km more to go before replacing - that's 8-12 weeks of commuting assuming it's the only bike I ride...

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 am

I've just tested the Conti GP4000s on my CX bike this week, 25s on a set of Mavic SpeedCity disc brake rims. My first rund was frought with troubles, although that may have been due to me setting up the tolerance too tight on my disc brakes.

Second run was a full commute to the city, however this was done via the main roads rather than my usual bike path.

All that aside, they felt nice and sure underdeath, and gave me good acceleration compared to my normal Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. More testing will have to be done, once the roads around here aren't so likely to melt the rubber.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

skull

Postby skull » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:47 pm

I have just recently gone with the conti force attack combo. Sold on them, they feel great.

fil_farina

Postby fil_farina » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 pm

How many people have gone from 23's up to 25's? Currently running Rubino Pro's which have been excellent so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Yeah, I'm now curious about how much of the difference is due to the compound and how much is due to the extra width...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:32 am

fil_farina wrote:How many people have gone from 23's up to 25's? Currently running Rubino Pro's which have been excellent so far

I made the move to fatter tyres awhile back and wont be going back unless I start racing crits on smooth hotmix. The fat tyres roll so much better on chip seal, have much more grip on the steep climbs and fast descents and seem to be more resistant to punctures.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:38 pm

fil_farina wrote:How many people have gone from 23's up to 25's? Currently running Rubino Pro's which have been excellent so far

Tried 25c and didn't particularly like them. The bike seemed a touch more lumbering and sluggish.
People comment on how lighter rims ad a snappier more responsive feel to the bike. Putting extra weight right at the circumference of the wheel, where it will have maximal effect in making the wheel harder to accelerate, seems counterintuitive to me.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:44 pm

warthog1 wrote: People comment on how lighter rims ad a snappier more responsive feel to the bike. Putting extra weight right at the circumference of the wheel, where it will have maximal effect in making the wheel harder to accelerate, seems counterintuitive to me.
There's only 25g difference between 23s and 25s for the GP4000s. And they're lighter than other common tyres (eg. Gatorskins, Re-Fuse etc.).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:55 pm

That's true and there's only 2 mm width difference supposedly. If you can feel a difference in rolling resistance/ride then you should be able to feel a difference in responsiveness. Given the increase in weight is slightly more in percentage terms than the quoted difference in size.