NSW Crit Championships and other racing

bigfriendlyvegan

NSW Crit Championships and other racing

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Cycling NSW & Lidcombe-Auburn Cycling Club warmly invite all NSW cycling club members to take part in a weekend of exciting criterium racing at the home of the 2000 Olympic Games, Sydney Olympic Park, on October 19-20.

Coinciding with two of Sydney’s largest cycling events, the Cycling Australia ‘Bike & Lifestyle Exhibition’ and the Bicycle NSW ‘Spring Cycle’, it’s your only chance of the year to race at one of Australia’s most historic sports venues against riders from all over NSW, and beyond.

Saturday’s racing takes the form of the 2013 NSW U19, U23 & Elite Criterium Championships, with separate U19 and Elite races for men and women.

Sunday’s racing is part of the 2013 Festival of Cycling and features A, B, C, D and E grade Open criteriums, plus NRS and Women’s races, as well as events for junior boys and girls. There will also be a hand cycling event.

Entries can be made online right now via the Cycling NSW website or on the day at Sydney Olympic park, Homebush.

For more information just follow the links:

Saturday 19 October 2013
NSW U19, U23 & Elite Criterium Championships
http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ra ... /13243.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunday 20 October 2013
Festival of Cycling SOPA Criterium
http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ra ... /13246.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pedaling

Re: NSW Crit Championships and other racing

Postby Pedaling » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey BFV,
Is this part of the Spring Cycle Challenge ride?
The crit for the challenge ride is at Homebush, also on the 20th of October that's why I ask.
I won a contest with c r c and the prize is free entry to the Spring Cycle, a chain reaction jersy, and "a goodies bag".
Thanks mate,
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Sort of. The racing is around the finish point for the Spring Cycle and near the Bike and Lifestyle Show. It really is a Festival of Cycling.

If you leave North Sydney early, you can very easily get to the racing before it starts. Use the Spring Cycle as a warm-up and then smash it over the cobbles at SOP.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Cool,
The difference between the Classic ride and Challenge ride is the Classic is a 50k ride from Nth Sydney to Homebush. The challenge ride is the same, with a 50k crit at Homebush as well.
First 50ks will be just a warm up like you suggested.
Thanks for that,
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 pm

I didn't know anything about the challenge ride. The crit we're running is not the bunch riding they will be doing around SOP for the second 50k. It's a proper race and requires a racing license. You probably knew that, but I'm just clarifying.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:34 am

Same weekend as the National Masters road race championships 18-20 October. TT, Crit and road race.

brendan c

Postby brendan c » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:25 pm

online sign up doesn't like me, maybe because of my Victorian licence? Is sign up on the day OK?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:23 pm

More likely the CNSW site simply sucks. Sign-up on the day is fine.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:56 pm

I went down for a look this morning! I've got to give this a crack one day soon...what a great morning and atmosphere. I saw B and C grades race, it would have been great to see A grade have a run but the little guy was becoming hard work! It was good to say a quick g'day to you BFV, great work on the microphone, kudos for keeping up with the leaders of each group!!

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:49 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:More likely the CNSW site simply sucks.
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. :roll:

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:55 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Saturday’s racing takes the form of the 2013 NSW U19, U23 & Elite Criterium Championships, with separate U19 and Elite races for men and women.
Who the hell puts U19 championships on the middle weekend of the HSC?

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:53 am

Derny Driver wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Who the hell puts U19 championships on the middle weekend of the HSC?
the same people who say my son who turned 12 only 4 days ago now has to ride U15, but thats only on the track. on the road, he's still U13.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:19 am

Cossie Phil wrote:I went down for a look this morning! I've got to give this a crack one day soon...what a great morning and atmosphere. I saw B and C grades race, it would have been great to see A grade have a run but the little guy was becoming hard work! It was good to say a quick g'day to you BFV, great work on the microphone, kudos for keeping up with the leaders of each group!!
Nice to meet you there Phil. The B and C grade racing was great. The A grade race only had 20 riders and it was a race of attrition with only 3 riders left in contention with many minutes to go. Very fast, lots of attacking, great to watch, but I preferred the B and C grade racing. At least there were smiles from the riders after the lower grades.

Get a license (with LACC, of course) and head out to a race. We're almost ready to start our track season - it's something you can bring your whole family to and you'll get several races per night. When your kids are old enough, they can join in as well.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:34 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Cossie Phil wrote:I went down for a look this morning! I've got to give this a crack one day soon...what a great morning and atmosphere. I saw B and C grades race, it would have been great to see A grade have a run but the little guy was becoming hard work! It was good to say a quick g'day to you BFV, great work on the microphone, kudos for keeping up with the leaders of each group!!
Nice to meet you there Phil. The B and C grade racing was great. The A grade race only had 20 riders and it was a race of attrition with only 3 riders left in contention with many minutes to go. Very fast, lots of attacking, great to watch, but I preferred the B and C grade racing. At least there were smiles from the riders after the lower grades.
You say only 20 riders like that makes the race easy........

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:48 am

Far from easy (as you know better than anybody), but it would have been nice to have a bigger bunch for the last quarter of the race, or at least a group behind the leaders. You looked like you were getting that group together and I was hoping the riders who fell off the leaders would fall back to that group and then there'd be a chase, but it died before it really got going.

You did well, Daniel, punching above your weight, both on Saturday and Sunday.You're not afraid to mix it with the best in the state, either on the road or the track. All that, and you're only a couple of years into racing! Well done.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:00 pm

I think the small group in the end was the nature of the race, there is only a certain number of times most people can sprint out of each of the hairpins until they crack. Once you cracked you were well and truely cracked and there wasnt much of a chance of recovering and getting back on. I now officially hate hairpin turns.

It was a humbling experience to get so convincingly dropped. Not where I want to be at the moment. State champs on the track is the real goal and I still have a bit of time before that, hopefully I will come good.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:08 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Nice to meet you there Phil. The B and C grade racing was great. The A grade race only had 20 riders and it was a race of attrition with only 3 riders left in contention with many minutes to go. Very fast, lots of attacking, great to watch, but I preferred the B and C grade racing. At least there were smiles from the riders after the lower grades.

Get a license (with LACC, of course) and head out to a race. We're almost ready to start our track season - it's something you can bring your whole family to and you'll get several races per night. When your kids are old enough, they can join in as well.
Already sorted with the licence...and with LACC!! I had not considered track until recently and am pretty keen to give it a try. After Fitz's this weekend I will get back to normal group training at Homebush so will be ready for the track when it opens. Im really looking forward to it from a nostalgic perspective:)

Cheers,

Phil.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:47 pm

Ah, so that was you on the mike........

Kev.

warren.suen

Postby warren.suen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Hey All,

noob on the crit scene and i loved every second of stem munching that i did on the day. it was so well organised and received much love from the guys watching and the announcer (BFV) even though i got dropped and then lapped by the higher grade!

If anyone else saw the racing and didn't mind some of that i would highly recommend it.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:29 pm

You did well, Warren, and yes, you got lots of love from the sidelines for your guts and determination. The LACC boys were quite vocal for all of the lads and lasses. Coming first or last, you'll get a cheer because we all know how bloody hard it is. I'm glad you're enjoying it. You'll have to try track in a few weeks.