Time off the bike

For Roadies

Time off the bike

Postby danny the boy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Interested to hear any info on the length of time it took people to return to normal fitness level after an enforced lay off.

I'm into the 4th week of recovering from a broken collarbone, prior to the injury I had signed up for a few events. 2 of these are on the 9th and 10th of November which I have put a line through but another is on the 1st December. This will be 10 weeks since I did a mischief and if doctor says ok may give me 2 weeks or hopefully more of riding to get fitness back. However I have until the end of the month to cancel and get a refund If I can't ride in it, only problem is my next x-ray & doctors appointment falls a few days after. Currently I'm using a stationary bike most days for 20-30 mins but find it incredibly boring and lose motivation easily but figure its better than nothing. The event is about 130k's which is nothing extreme for normal fitness but have no idea how quickly my legs will lose condition.
danny the boy

by BNA » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:36 am

BNA

Re: Time off the bike

Postby thearthurdog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:36 am

This will vary from person to person. Your age and level of fitness prior to injury will make a difference. Just try to get back into it when you can (steady does it) and see how you feel.
Cervelo s5
Giant Trinity Composite 1
http://www.crosswindmissile.blogspot.com.au
thearthurdog

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:03 am

If it is just to ride and finish while time isn't important then you may be ok... If it is to ride hard then I would be getting my money back.
toolonglegs

Postby Rex » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Look up trainerroad.com

Yes more time on the indoor trainer, but it's your best bet to get you back into form and is much more interesting than just plodding away on the trainer. But you'll still need motivation.
If you can't do that then I'd get my money back.
Rex

Return to Road Biking