Centennial Park arvo bunch rides?

For Roadies

Centennial Park arvo bunch rides?

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:44 pm

marc2131 wrote:
schroeds wrote:3. Car drove through give way into bike in the middle area of the park. All above were hospital jobs. No similarity at all

That happened to me at the corner of Loch Ave and Grand Dr early last year...

You had another accident in CP? Or are we talking about the one and only?
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

by BNA » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:22 pm

BNA

Re: Centennial Park arvo bunch rides?

Postby schroeds » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:22 pm

marc2131 wrote:
skull wrote:Fined you?

What with?

Riding bicycle negligent (sic) ...... Police talk for 'I didn't bother to examine the video evidence provided to me by a fellow rider in the group with a go pro on his helmet'. No doubt the margistrate was not impressed.

Car pulls out in front of you when youhave rightof way and you're riding negligently:shock:

Has the world gone mad? What if there didn't happen to be video evidence?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
schroeds

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:51 pm

schroeds wrote:Car pulls out in front of you when youhave rightof way and you're riding negligently:shock:

I assume it's the only accident Marc had in the park.

It was a case of a large Audi SUV initiating a left hand turn move, thereby threatened the bunch that was travelling in parallel, but slightly behind. Although the SUV never physically hit the lead riders of the bunch, the bunch had to initiate evasive action, including emergency braking and swaying to the left. Marc being somewhere behind 2nd or 3rd wheel, if not 4th, unfortunately crashed out. Can't remember if Marc's bike came into contact with the now stopped SUV, with vehicle body coming to a stop angled some 15-20 deg towards the side of the road and the left front wheel just fully inside the green CP bike lane.

The police officers in attendance clearly were incompetent in the way how they issued the ticket, one that I have seen similar in car to car accidents. It was good that there were video records of the event from behind. The real annoyance is that drivers can get away from threatening moves, as long as they don't make a direct contact. Being a cyclist, we all know that we can't afford to wait for physical contact but have to ride defensively with consequences. At the same time, it also does illustrate the risks of bunch riding when there are external risk factors. Grrr....
sogood

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:19 pm

What's worse is that not only does that occur (and video evidence is your only proof that you did nothing wrong), but some people actually agree that riding in groups is dangerous, or that you should ride as far off the road as possible - which is a recipe for being run off a normal road.

In a park situation, why should this be that necessary - after all, shouldn't cars be driving to the conditions? In a park condition, surely the "must get in front" is irrelevant to waiting maybe 30-60 seconds more.

When I'm riding in a park (not CP) on the roads inside the park with signs indicating a 20km/h limit - I'll ride in the middle of the lane to prevent being close-shaved. I'm already going a few km/h above the speed limit anyhow, so they've got no need to complain.
g-boaf

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:58 pm

In CP, the Grand Drive is very wide, good enough for 3 car lanes. One contributing problem is that many motor vehicle drivers don't respect the bike lane and would drive as if they are on a regular road way. Taxis are also bad, seen many of them stopping in the green lane to pick up and drop off passengers. Business is their priority, not rules. Yet again, there are plenty of drivers who respect all the other park users and drive with good care. Irrespective, one still can't let our guard down when riding in CP. Although considerably safer than out on regular roads, dangers are still around. Oh yes, don't forget there are also duck crossings at certain sections of the park in the early hours. Beware.
sogood

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:25 pm

schroeds wrote:1. slow rider on left does sudden u turn out to right without looking...takes out overtaking rider

If this is the accident I am thinking off, the rider taken out was one of the best M6 time trailists in the country and rides with SCC. A good example of no one can avoid every accident, even riders of that level of experience
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby schroeds » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:52 am

Correct..a very experienced rider indeed, few would be more experienced
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
schroeds

Previous

Return to Road Biking