Top 3 things to upgrade for better performance

For Roadies

Re: Top 3 things to upgrade for better performance

Postby dayne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:18 am

What winstonw and sith said,

There is huge advantages to be had with a bike fit, recovery is as important as training and massage and stretching are key.

But bike wise saddles, tyres, wheels
dayne

by BNA » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:19 am

BNA

Postby autumn acid » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:19 am

In all honesty, bike fit is worth more than equipment. If you're riding in the correct position, you'll be riding efficiently and not causing injury. You will be using a full range of muscles and giving them a solid workout. Typically a bike fit may result in maybe a newer saddle or perhaps even a new stem or handlebars, but big deal!
autumn acid

Postby eon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:46 am

winstonw wrote:the latest about caffeine is that it temporarily lifts your performance, but drops it more so later on....so that your av speed over an hour is lower. so the science suggest only using it for shorter events.

there was a chart that showed shoe covers provide similar aerodynamic advantage to deep section aero wheels.

most recreational cyclists would get more performance advantage from better spinal flexibility (for a better aerodynamic position). However, that means losing weight around the gut.

slamming your stem costs nothing.

many cyclists overtrain, trying to smash every ride they do clocking up Strava PBs. or otherwise they do junk k's. clarify what your cycling performance 'goals' are, and get an intelligent training plan sorted. whether you bother with power, hr, or just rpe, depends on your performance goals. otherwise you are just a third world brain on a first world bike.

i don't give a stuff what few studies others have read....get into the gym and cross train and lift weights for 3 mths, and do some decent stretching.

ride with guys better than you.

challenge yourself on hills regularly

practice faster cornering and descending, harder braking.

practise track stands, lifting the front wheel, then the rear. it will all improve your oneness and feel for the bike at speed, and may very well save your bones one day.

on the flats, do hard efforts that are seriously uncomfortable.

eat a clean diet

once you've done all that, and naturally improved, you'll realize cycling is not about the bike.

Hear, hear :!: :!: :!: - some great advice right there..
eon

Postby Roub » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:00 am

I am not convinced on Pro bike fits. I have seen many riders go from fitter to fitter and get different things changed each time. The problem is they all have their different theories and practices they subscribe too and there is a lot of inconsistency in that regard. Some people love Steve Hogg fits, others like Specialized BG fits and they are totally different. As such you can waste a lot of money finding the right fit for you.

I have read most theories and played around with goes on all my bikes till I found something that works for me and stayed with it. Don't get me wrong I think the right fit is important, but varies in theory and practice. I'm sure there are heaps of people happy with they pro fit, but there are equally a lot of people where it has not helped and in fact hindered. Take the fundamentals that suit you and experiment.

For those with coaches - how many actually get face-to-face time with their coach and ride with them for close interaction? Last time I enquired, I was surprised everyone I contacted wanted a questionnaire filled out then provided a written schedule to follow and they monitor you through Garmin connect or Strava - seems a little impersonal to me and doesn't address form or technique at all. I know a couple of people with coaches that have had a bludge on a day's program and it's not picked up by the coach either.

I'd be keen to get one, but want more bang for buck than that
Roub

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:04 am

Roub wrote:For those with coaches - how many actually get face-to-face time with their coach ...

There's a coaching thread in the Training section. Good reading.
Derny Driver

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:04 am

winstonw wrote:
Ignoto wrote:
winstonw wrote:there was a chart that showed shoe covers provide similar aerodynamic advantage to deep section aero wheels.

:shock: What? That can't be right. I better buy some booties if that's true.

http://www.aerosportsresearch.com/media.htm
2010 Velonews Buyers Guide (January-April, 2010) Buying Time: Which Aerodynamic equipment benefits most during the race of truth? | page 2 pp. 16 - 17

Not all booties improve aero. Indeed I have seen very reliable data showing some booties increase drag. I am however not at liberty to share the specific data.

I've measured much larger differences between different aero helmets than they show. Aero helmets do not work the same for all riders. It's one of those things where helmet A might be better than helmet B for one rider, but the converse may apply for a different rider.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:12 am

specialized sl2 wrote:I am a pretty full on cyclist and I have a Specialized sl2 (ultegra) what we be the best 3 things to upgrade for better performance (I have already brought some good carbon cranks!) :D

That very much depends on your goals and current capabilities. It might be anything related to experience, or skills, or fitness, or position, or diet, or dedication, or recovery, or equipment, and so on.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby autumn acid » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 am

Roub wrote:I am not convinced on Pro bike fits...

I believe they all have different methodologies, but whilst it is difficult to say who is better, they can probably identify some obvious issues (particularly if you are a newer rider).

I had one done, and I considered it money well spent.
autumn acid

Postby Pravda » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
2011 Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX
Raceline Keith Oliver Signature Edition
Pravda

Postby skull » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:11 pm

White bar tape helps.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
skull

Postby Xplora » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:13 pm

roub, if you are sceptical about the fits, do some more research, determine who will meet your needs the best, and go from there. I have had really really good results from a simple fit from Charles at Trek Rouse Hill, but had really good improvements from some Specialized arch support and then more extreme changes from Steve Hogg. I had different expectations from each - but I was really pleased with the original fit that Charles did; I just needed more detail once I was chasing up foot issues. Ironically, the BG arch supports were VERY close to solving my issues, it's just my needs are pretty extreme for wedging and support. The shop I bought the BG supports from didn't think I should have the extreme supports, Hogg thought otherwise lol

It depends on what you want, what you expect to achieve on the bike, and what kinds of compromises you are willing to make. It is physically not possible to make a correctly sized TT bike work the same as a correctly sized relaxed geometry endurance road bike.
Do more research, consult other professionals. It's worth seeing a podiatrist or chiro to determine if you've got crazy feet or pelvis issues before committing to a fitter. The weirder you are, the more involved the fit must be.
Xplora

Postby winstonw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:15 pm

one word for performance gains......magnets :D :lol:
winstonw

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:08 pm

winstonw wrote:one word for performance gains......magnets :D :lol:

Nah, quality alcoholic beverages consumed with mates. Best performance gain ever. Okay, maybe not - but drinks with friends tops all this serious racing stuff of recent times. There is a subtle message there...
g-boaf

Postby Pedaling » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Bike wise;
1. Tyres, the difference is substantial.
2. Wheels, which includes braking performance.
3. Saddle, for obvious reasons.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
Pedaling

Postby donncha » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Pravda wrote:Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

Do both :)
donncha

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Mum, Dad, Doctor
toolonglegs

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:53 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Mum, Dad, Doctor

TLL for the win! :lol:
g-boaf

Postby Chuck » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:01 pm

g-boaf wrote:
quality alcoholic beverages.... Best performance gain ever.

Spot on. The more alcohol I drink the better I get :D

FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby Sith1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 am

autumn acid wrote:In all honesty, bike fit is worth more than equipment. If you're riding in the correct position, you'll be riding efficiently and not causing injury. You will be using a full range of muscles and giving them a solid workout. Typically a bike fit may result in maybe a newer saddle or perhaps even a new stem or handlebars, but big deal!

Biggest load of poor advise I have read yet.
You cannot be riding in the CORRECT POSITION unless of course the bike has been fitted to you ... so you cannot ride effectivly and it can/and or will result in pain and or injuries.
a bike fit is measured length of arms legs reach /drop and cleat positioning , and every good bike fit will actually start with your feet and work upward ... adjustment in saddle height /degrees of slope , length of cranks .. Qfactor , oh the list goes on .....
A decent bike fit should take between 2-3.5 hours ..... so I guess by the OP there is little to gain :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
And cost between $200-$350 .....
Sith1

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:07 am

Sith1 wrote:
autumn acid wrote:In all honesty, bike fit is worth more than equipment. If you're riding in the correct position, you'll be riding efficiently and not causing injury. You will be using a full range of muscles and giving them a solid workout. Typically a bike fit may result in maybe a newer saddle or perhaps even a new stem or handlebars, but big deal!

You cannot be riding in the CORRECT POSITION unless of course the bike has been fitted to you ... so you cannot ride effectivly and it can/and or will result in pain and or injuries.
a bike fit is measured length of arms legs reach /drop and cleat positioning , and every good bike fit will actually start with your feet and work upward ... adjustment in saddle height /degrees of slope , length of cranks .. Qfactor , oh the list goes on .....
A decent bike fit should take between 2-3.5 hours ..... so I guess by the OP there is little to gain :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think you are reading it wrong, he seems to be suggesting the value of a bike fit to me.

Best upgrades for me
Alarm clock
Garmin
Wind trainer
(Power meter on the xmas wish list)
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus

Postby skull » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:34 am

Talking about fit. I just had my bike fitted correctly last week. My last fit before this was roughly 3 years ago when I bought my super six. I have been tweaking here and there myself for the last few years but decided to finally get it done properly.

Not much change, moved seat forward a couple of cm and up a little bit. The massive difference that has made tho it I can push out more power into the pedals. Also new position has caused me to be bloody sore today. Still gotta get use to it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
skull

Postby autumn acid » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:28 am

Sith1 wrote:

I do not believe you understood my post.
autumn acid

Postby zozza » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Chuck wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
quality alcoholic beverages.... Best performance gain ever.

Spot on. The more alcohol I drink the better I get :D

Dang right! :mrgreen:

zozza

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Lol at Chuck and Zozza! :lol:
g-boaf

Postby Sith1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:45 am

autumn acid wrote:
Sith1 wrote:

I do not believe you understood my post.

I apologize , it appears that I have read it wrong ... comment retracted
Sith1

PreviousNext

Return to Road Biking