Bianchi Sempre Pro with a pannier rack?

For Roadies

Bianchi Sempre Pro with a pannier rack?

Postby zill » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:37 pm

I recently bought a Bianchi Sempre Pro and am very happy with it.

However, I am also a commuter and would like to replace my old commuting bike. There are pannier racks out there that can be fitted to a road bike with no rack mounts (e.g. http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/ ... -road-dlx/ ) but is the Sempre Pro strong enough to carry a pannier bag on a daily basis that could range between 10kg to 40 kg?

I have heard positive things mentioned about the construction of the Sempre Pro and how it is stronger than most other carbon bikes such as on this website http://www.competitivecyclist.com/bianc ... -pro-frame

The paragraph below is from this site:

"Bianchi has incorporated a few proprietary construction methods to the Sempre's carbon design. For one, it's been made stronger by using Bianchi's Carbon NanoTube technology. This process involves adding nano-scaled particles to the resin. By doing so, the particles reduce the microcopic gaps between the resin and the fibers of the carbon. Ultimately, this increases the strength and fracture-resistance by 49% compared to using standard epoxy resin systems."

But does that make the Sempre Pro able to carry a potentially heavy pannier rack?

Please note that I usually cycle on a flat bike path for about 2 hours each day.

Thanks.
zill

by BNA » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:04 pm

BNA

Re: Bianchi Sempre Pro with a pannier rack?

Postby Pravda » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Please don't.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
2011 Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX
Raceline Keith Oliver Signature Edition
Pravda

Re: Bianchi Sempre Pro with a pannier rack?

Postby eeksll » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:32 pm

zill wrote:The paragraph below is from this site:

"Bianchi has incorporated a few proprietary construction methods to the Sempre's carbon design. For one, it's been made stronger by using Bianchi's Carbon NanoTube technology. This process involves adding nano-scaled particles to the resin. By doing so, the particles reduce the microcopic gaps between the resin and the fibers of the carbon. Ultimately, this increases the strength and fracture-resistance by 49% compared to using standard epoxy resin systems."

pretty sure that paragraph is sourced directly from the Binachi marketing site.

Are you sure your going to be carting 10kg +? I sometimes commute with a over-full ortlieb rear pannier. Even when its heavy it would not touch 10 kg. If your commuting much lighter and dont have a carbon seat post something like a "Topeak RX Beam rack" would probably suit better. Especially if you need to remove it for weekend rides.
eeksll

Return to Road Biking