Tyre Width for Road and Hybrid MTB

For Roadies

Tyre Width for Road and Hybrid MTB

Postby ArticTern » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:45 am

I got a 29er MTB and I like to get hybrid tyres or road tyres for my bike but I am very confused about the width.

Would it matter if I got anyone of these width? Or the wider the width means less suitable for road and more for offroad? So if I went for 32-37c it would be all good for my 29er? And the tyre can be use as a hybrid? So mainly road and slight gravel. Thanks for reponse!

700 x 28c
700 x 32c
700 x 37c
700 x 42c
ArticTern

by BNA » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:56 pm

BNA

Re: Tyre Width for Road and Hybrid MTB

Postby TCAT » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:56 pm

A lot of variables in deciding what tyre to fit a bike. How much is 'slight' gravel? Are you planning to ride these roads when wet? I assume the gravel road you refer to is the hard packed type strewn with pebble to golf sized stones. If only dry weather riding then I would suggest you would be better going for a touring type tyre with a width of 32 to 35. I can’t offer any advice on riding wet gravel roads though. If the gravel is rough with rocky outcrops then a wider tyre would be more suitable.
Remember, the wider the tyre the more effort required to maintain the same speed over a narrower one on a smooth hard packed surface, all other things being equal.
happy cycling in 2014
TCAT

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Depends on what you want to do.

If it's o ly commuting then yes those narrower slicks will help. However if you like to add a bit of play such as hopping up and off kerbs, riding down short flights of stairs and the like (it is after all a *mountain* bike) to keep yourself amused (or give yourself more route options) then something wider would be better.

On my mtb commuter I've found I prefer to stick to low tread height knobblies, although some roll better than others. The Michelin XCR Dry 2's I had rolled brilliantly. I used to get lots of "Oh poop :( " looks from roadies when I passed them which was good for stroking ones ego :lol: The Rubenas I now have on roll like rubbish by comparison - the Strava KOMs seemed to dry up.

With gravel roads being on the menu I'd recommend the low knobblies. The fatter rubber will look after your wheels better and they will be safer. Being faster on the tarmac is a nice-to-have. Staying upright when off it is not.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby antigee » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:02 pm

I ran 32mm on my CX (non racing/MTB geared ) on gravel and found them fine (Specialized Boroughs - beware side wall wear though)
- I went to 28mm as was doing quite a bit of road and helps with average speed but will def go back to 32mm soon when tyres need replacing - 28mm too sketchy too often for me
antigee

Postby ArticTern » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:32 am

TCAT wrote:A lot of variables in deciding what tyre to fit a bike. How much is 'slight' gravel? Are you planning to ride these roads when wet? I assume the gravel road you refer to is the hard packed type strewn with pebble to golf sized stones. If only dry weather riding then I would suggest you would be better going for a touring type tyre with a width of 32 to 35. I can’t offer any advice on riding wet gravel roads though. If the gravel is rough with rocky outcrops then a wider tyre would be more suitable.
Remember, the wider the tyre the more effort required to maintain the same speed over a narrower one on a smooth hard packed surface, all other things being equal.

Thanks for replies and sorry for late response.

Yes If roads are wet i would ride on it. But its more for road use riding on roadsm walk paths and grass and a little gravel. Not taking it into the woodlands. :) I got another set of mtb tyres for that.

From emu:
However if you like to add a bit of play such as hopping up and off kerbs, riding down short flights of stairs and the like (it is after all a *mountain* bike) to keep yourself amused (or give yourself more route options) then something wider would be better

No hoppingng or doing dangerous stunts just for roads and a little off road use as mentioned above. :)

SO will 37c be good enough? How about 47c? Is that more for full on MTB? Jumping and doing it hard?

Fatter means more tension and effort on the road, I could use my mtb tyres but more drag.

Thanks for reponses!
ArticTern

Return to Road Biking