- Posts: 59
- Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 pm
Also Is Anyone who reads this from albury lavington Wodonga who go on Group Rides On Weekends if so pm or comment if you are thanks
- Posts: 1773
- Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 am
- Location: Perth or 42km south as the singlespeed flies
nicko95 wrote:What Is The Average Speed at your club races crits etc like A Grade Down To C Grade Or Whatever The Bottom Grade Is In Your Area
A grade with the Meyer brothers and a few NRS riders or E grade with 12, 13 and 70+ year olds?
It varies dramatically from week to week, depending on the course, the weather, how many is racing, who is racing and what mood they are in.
For example our Club Crit Championship, the D grade average was 4kph faster than last year and 2kph faster than C grade. As previous year and C grade this year, few tentative attacks, nobody was getting away and everybody waited until last lap or so. In D grade two riders constantly trying to rip the legs off the bunch, a third rider was counter attacking when one of those riders was brought back and a fourth keep the pace high when nobody was attacking.
- Posts: 540
- Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:37 pm
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
A grade - 45kph (1hr + 3 laps)
B grade - 43kph (55mins + 3 laps)
C Grade - 42kph (50mins + 3 laps)
D grade - 40kph (45mins + 3 laps)
The average doesn't tell the whole story though...
- D grade is basically raced as a whole bunch, with not too much surging and breakaways almost never work.
- C grade is basically the same as D, just slightly faster.
- B grade bunches are smaller and you end up having to do much more work yourself. Also, breakaways are often winners, so you might have to put in a massive long effort in a breakaway to get a podium. Pace is also usually either on or off, so you can be cruising at 40kph one minute and doing 55kph the next.
- Haven't got to A-grade, but my experience from the club champs is that it's similar to B-grade, but faster, even harder surges and more aggressive to get good positioning.
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Cell Bikes
- Malvern Star
- Santa Cruz
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users
About the Australian Cycling Forums
The largest cycling discussion forum in Australia for all things bike; from new riders to seasoned bike nuts, the Australian Cycling Forums are a welcoming community where you can ask questions and talk about the type of bikes and cycling topics you like.