Help Needed: Ride Options Between Sydney & Cooma?

For Roadies

Help Needed: Ride Options Between Sydney & Cooma?

Postby Rich-Ti » Thu May 22, 2014 12:47 pm

In a couple of weeks time I'm going to be spending the weekend in Cooma. My wife has suggested I investigate options to allow me to get a ride in on the way there (and hopefully the way back) - i.e. that I should ride part of the way and she will meet me, or drop me off before we get there and I ride the rest of the way (or something along those lines).

I now need to come up with a cunning plan…

The options as I see it are:

- Ride Sydney to Woollongong (possibly beyond, depending whether I start in Manly, or get myself to somewhere south of the city and then start riding)
- Get myself to <somewhere> by train, then ride (e.g. Southern Highlands / Kangaroo Valley / other)
- Get the wife to drop me out of the car a certain distance from Cooma and ride the rest of the way

What would you do? Are there any options / areas I've missed that I really should take note of? I'm quite keen on riding the Sea Cliff Bridge, but only because I've seen so many pics of it - is it actually worth doing?!

I seem to recall the road in to Cooma is ok, but my wife isn't keen on me riding that section alone so one of the other options is probably preferred.

All advice welcome, and thanks in advance!

MODS: I've posted this in 'Australia > NSW' too - feel free to delete one or other thread if that's inappropriate.
Rich-Ti

by BNA » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:56 am

BNA

Re: Help Needed: Ride Options Between Sydney & Cooma?

Postby kingoftheflats » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:56 am

Once you're out of Sydney the road via the National Park at Bundeena into Wollongong via the Sea Cliff bridge is quite nice, well worth a ride in my opinion, nice views along the beaches as you get into Wollongong and there's a decent shared usage bike path which is 90% along the coast for the last 10kms or so from Thirroul into North Wollongong / Wollongong. There are some steep sections around Stanwell Tops as you descend out of the Park, and a great view from the hang gliders launch pad before you hit the bridge.

The ride from Cooma into Jindabyne of around 45km is particularly beautiful in my opinion, but I've only ever driven it, and there are long sections without a shoulder winding around the Lake Jindabyne / East Jindabyne section which would be dangerous in my opinion. If you get the chance a ride inside the Snowy National Park would be testing I'm sure. You can climb from around 800-900m to 1600-1700m with a fairly decent and consistent grade.
kingoftheflats

Postby Farmer Elvis » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:24 pm

My advice take something warm
Farmer Elvis

Postby Rich-Ti » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Ended up just driving to Bargo, hopping out of the car and riding 50km to Berrima with the wife driving on ahead. Short but solid ride - especially when the Garmin decided to send me into Bowral and up & over the hill to Berrima. That was a *killer*!
Rich-Ti

Return to Road Biking