how to race a kermesse

For Roadies

how to race a kermesse

Postby nailsaslegs » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:41 am

Does anyone have much experience racing a kermesse? We have a kermesse coming up and I've never race one before, its s 2.1km lap and completing 20 laps. Is it better to be aggressive and put in an attack, if an attack goes let them and pull them back later in the race? Usually I'm aggressive in a crit and will put in multiple attacks, that's my riding style a kermesse though is a little different. Its a tight and demanding course, 2.01 kilometers in length that includes a fast straight, and a off camber corner.

Interested to see what everyone says
nailsaslegs

by BNA » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:01 am

BNA

Re: how to race a kermesse

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:01 am

A kermese is the same as a crit, except it's on a road with possible traffic, as far as I know. Race it the same as you would a crit. No one can tell you how to race because every race is different and every bunch is different. That's the art of racing.
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby KGB » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Just sounds like a long crit to me, I'd expect a kermesse to be at least 50-60km. I'd race it like a crit but meter your efforts if its longer than what you're used to (for crit racing).
Just check the rules as well, I'm not sure about any laps out etc like you would get in a crit.
KGB

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:47 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:Does anyone have much experience racing a kermesse? We have a kermesse coming up and I've never race one before, its s 2.1km lap and completing 20 laps. Is it better to be aggressive and put in an attack, if an attack goes let them and pull them back later in the race? Usually I'm aggressive in a crit and will put in multiple attacks, that's my riding style a kermesse though is a little different. Its a tight and demanding course, 2.01 kilometers in length that includes a fast straight, and a off camber corner.

Interested to see what everyone says

Always go to the front before an off-camber corner, if you can't be at the front, be on the inside of the corner. There is always someone who pedals to soon and either stops for a rest or heads off into the scenery.

Best not to be that person, a few bike lengths is a small price compared to the alternative.

It helps if you are confident of your cornering grip/technique.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby thearthurdog » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:07 pm

It doesn't sound like a kermesse. It sounds like a long criterium. I would race it like a criterium.
Cervelo s5
Giant Trinity Composite 1
http://www.crosswindmissile.blogspot.com.au
thearthurdog

Postby macca33 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:04 pm

As others have stated, race it similar to a criterium. I'd recommend that you take a light snack / gel and water, as it will be a fairly frenetic 60-90minutes!

They are good fun.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

macca33

Postby PomBike » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:39 pm

A Kermesse is a bit longer.
They have a rolling road closure.
Road and Triathlon Bike Hire, Stafford, England http://www.d2ride.co.uk
PomBike

Postby Nikolai » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:16 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:Does anyone have much experience racing a kermesse? We have a kermesse coming up and I've never race one before, its s 2.1km lap and completing 20 laps.

It's a crit - 40km race on a 2km circuit. A typical kermis is at least 100km long, usually on a 5-6km (enough time to drink one beer) loop. Just because an organiser calls it kermis doesn't mean it is a kermis.

They are a different breed of a race though. Not as long as a road race, usually on a flat course, they are almost always fast and furious. Crosswinds play a major role. Peloton blows up in pieces sooner or later. Usually decided between 5-7 guys in a break. One could make good coin racing them back in the day.

So, I would say do whatever you usually do in this so called kermis.
Nikolai

Return to Road Biking