Double sided road Pedals?

zill

Double sided road Pedals?

Postby zill » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:03 pm

I am a big fan of double sided pedals and currently use the Speedplay zero pedals but find them too small (I have wide feet).

Please recommend some other quality (ideal for racing) double sided road pedals.
Last edited by zill on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Re: Double sided road Pedals?

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Most are going to be some variation of a mountain bike pedal with a platform.

I agree single sided road pedals suck especially when commuting and you're trying to get away fro mthe lights with a taxi up your clacker. I've nearly been hit from behind on multiple occasions when you don't quite get it in and your foot slips off. And it's not just me. Each time I take off from the lights on weekend rides, half the pack is fluffing around with their pedals for the next hundred metres.

But I get frustrated with Speedplays sometimes too, however I think much of my difficulty with clipping in with them is perhaps due to overtightening the faceplate screws past the recommended torque of 2.3Nm. A short spray with lube before the ride helps. Will review torques tomorrow. Spent may too much time on wrenching bikes today.

Once clipped in, I do find speedplay very stable, the cleat becomes your pedal. The float is excellent too.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:20 pm

You can also get longer pedal spindles for Speedplays after market. Perhaps this will deal with any heelstrike issues you may have with your cranks? (I'm assuming a bit there).

zill

Postby zill » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:38 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Once clipped in, I do find speedplay very stable, the cleat becomes your pedal. The float is excellent too.
I actually really dislike the float!

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Shimano Click-Rs are double sided and dead easy to get in and out of. A lot heavier than most pedals though if that's a concern.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:21 pm

Mtb cleats are so much easier to get in and out of.
Since installing my vectors the Look cleats have been an endless source of frustration.
Its hard to believe such a crap design has so widespread use.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:58 pm

zill wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
Have you tried "normal" road pedals? What did your knees think? The friction in the float action of the 105s I had made mine very sore.

The speedplays feel much more like what I am used to from mountain biking. Slightly more float but you can adjust it down if you want. Yes, it does take a little getting used to. But my knees are very happy.

Your mileage may vary. That's what I found suited me.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:41 pm

trailgumby wrote:
zill wrote:
trailgumby wrote:
Have you tried "normal" road pedals? What did your knees think? The friction in the float action of the 105s I had made mine very sore.

The speedplays feel much more like what I am used to from mountain biking. Slightly more float but you can adjust it down if you want. Yes, it does take a little getting used to. But my knees are very happy.

Your mileage may vary. That's what I found suited me.
For some reason, the float effect and small pedal makes the bike feel heavy to move through the air sometimes.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:02 pm

zill wrote:I am a big fan of double sided pedals and currently use the Speedplay zero pedals but find them too small (I have wide feet).

Please recommend some other quality (ideal for racing) double sided road pedals.
Width of your feet shouldn't matter? Do you have decent cycling shoes that will spread the load on your power stroke (ie. carbon sole) ?

zill

Postby zill » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Rex wrote:
zill wrote:I am a big fan of double sided pedals and currently use the Speedplay zero pedals but find them too small (I have wide feet).

Width of your feet shouldn't matter? Do you have decent cycling shoes that will spread the load on your power stroke (ie. carbon sole) ?
Yes, got SIDI wide shoes.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:16 pm

I'll put this to you zill... have you had your feet canted? Checked by a fitter and shims installed?

Speedplays are as big a cleat out there. You won't get anything more stable. I "think" the issue is that you are rolling your foot inside the shoe and that makes the shoe feel unstable. A shim to make your legs track straight would resolve this. My right foot is radically different to my left (1cm higher, and rolled out) and this won't be resolved by different shoes or cleats. The float is meaningless if you are tracking straight. It just lets your leg turn if it needs to. You won't notice the float when pushing above threshold - too much energy pushing the pedal to care :lol:

zill

Postby zill » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Xplora wrote:I'll put this to you zill... have you had your feet canted? Checked by a fitter and shims installed?

Speedplays are as big a cleat out there. You won't get anything more stable. I "think" the issue is that you are rolling your foot inside the shoe and that makes the shoe feel unstable. A shim to make your legs track straight would resolve this. My right foot is radically different to my left (1cm higher, and rolled out) and this won't be resolved by different shoes or cleats. The float is meaningless if you are tracking straight. It just lets your leg turn if it needs to. You won't notice the float when pushing above threshold - too much energy pushing the pedal to care :lol:
Who would do such a fit and shims installed?

I have another bike with mtb double sided pedals and they work really well pictured below. In fact something ever wider than that one might be even better.

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... lsrc=aw.ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:07 am

How long is a piece of string... really what you want is a full fit. These seem to cost 300 bucks plus parts.

A visit to Steve Hogg (Sydney's resident guru/witch doctor/shaman) is a lot more than that - but arguably you get a better value service. It is more than double 300 bucks... I don't regret it though, and Steve supports you quite well. He recognises it's a super pricey service, and makes sure you are satisfied.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Xplora wrote:How long is a piece of string... really what you want is a full fit. These seem to cost 300 bucks plus parts.

A visit to Steve Hogg (Sydney's resident guru/witch doctor/shaman) is a lot more than that - but arguably you get a better value service. It is more than double 300 bucks... I don't regret it though, and Steve supports you quite well. He recognises it's a super pricey service, and makes sure you are satisfied.
Thanks for the suggestion.

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:57 am

In the latest GCN news show they showed a new set of pedals that you can attach to SPD-SL style cleats and clip them onto your pedals so you don't have to change pedals on your road bike.

Looked like a really good idea.
I can't access it at work to pull up the link.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:22 am

Hi higdawg.
I saw that too, essentially a plastic part that you fix a set of cleats to, and inset them onto the pedal as a platform.
I think it may have been on the same system of development as the Fly camera.
Not that cheap though if you want to do both sides of a pedal though, but good thinking. we all have a few old cleats lying around I suppose. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers