How accurate is the calculator for ideal racing weight?

zill

Postby zill » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:38 am

How accurate do people find the calculator on the site below?

http://racingweight.com/spa.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GAV!N

Re: How accurate is the calculator for ideal racing weight?

Postby GAV!N » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:31 pm

By looking at it, and not inputting anything, I'm going to say, not very, and probably a complete waste of time. Get fit, train properly, ride your bike, learn to race if you want. I'm not sure why you're so fascinated on 'ideal race weights' and body composition etc... ??

zill

Postby zill » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:58 pm

GAV!N wrote:By looking at it, and not inputting anything, I'm going to say, not very, and probably a complete waste of time. Get fit, train properly, ride your bike, learn to race if you want. I'm not sure why you're so fascinated on 'ideal race weights' and body composition etc... ??
I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and finding it hard as I am not fat anymore but that is not good enough for competitive cycling. I'm just trying to get opinions from more experienced riders. This is all very new to me as I have always been overweight in the past.
Last edited by zill on Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:06 pm

I tried it and it told me I'm 5 kg over - which is exactly what I'd like to lose so it's ball-park accurate I reckon.

I'm not looking to race of course, just ride a bit better.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:11 pm

zill wrote:
GAV!N wrote:By looking at it, and not inputting anything, I'm going to say, not very, and probably a complete waste of time. Get fit, train properly, ride your bike, learn to race if you want. I'm not sure why you're so fascinated on 'ideal race weights' and body composition etc... ??
I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and finding it hard as I am not fat anymore but that is not good enough for competitive cycling. I'm just trying to get opinions on more experienced riders. This is all very new to me as I have always been overweight in the past.
Have you entered a race yet?

Why don't you turn up and see how real people race rather than trying to compare with the genetic freaks who's full-time job is either racing a bike, or preparing to race a bike.

Cheers,

Cameron

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:18 pm

I worked out mine ideal racing weight is 68! I haven't weighed that since I finished my army recon course 15years ago.

zill

Postby zill » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:13 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
zill wrote:
I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and finding it hard as I am not fat anymore but that is not good enough for competitive cycling. I'm just trying to get opinions on more experienced riders. This is all very new to me as I have always been overweight in the past.
Have you entered a race yet?

Why don't you turn up and see how real people race rather than trying to compare with the genetic freaks who's full-time job is either racing a bike, or preparing to race a bike.

Cheers,

Cameron
I have raced when I was overweight. I am thinking of racing this summer season but want to be very ready this time (even if I am starting in D grade)!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:44 pm

So you're planning on racing D grade, but you feel the need to compare yourself to professionals.

You need to direct your energies elsewhere.

Even A grade club riders would be happy to climb like Cavendish or sprint like Contador.

Cheers,

Cameron

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:10 am

ironhanglider wrote:So you're planning on racing D grade, but you feel the need to compare yourself to professionals.

Even A grade club riders would be happy to climb like Cavendish or sprint like Contador.

Cheers,

Cameron
I'm doing D grade to get experience and confidence. Ultimately, aim is to get into A grade.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:40 am

cyclotaur wrote:I tried it and it told me I'm 5 kg over - which is exactly what I'd like to lose so it's ball-park accurate I reckon.

What is your plan to lose this 5kg?

How long do you expect to lose it?

nescius

Postby nescius » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:51 am

zill wrote:How accurate do people find the calculator on the site below?

http://racingweight.com/spa.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I plugged my numbers in and it gave me 69kg, which was my racing weight when I was rowing at elite level and is just under the weight I'm looking to hit this year, so for me it was fairly accurate (for reference I'm 189cm tall). I drop weight by eating less and moving more, I use a calorie tracker like MyFitnessPal and follow my training plan making sure I don't miss any sessions. Dropping 5kg will probably take somewhere between 6 and 12 weeks depending on how quickly I want to lose the weight.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:19 am

nescius wrote:

I plugged my numbers in and it gave me 69kg, which was my racing weight when I was rowing at elite level and is just under the weight I'm looking to hit this year, so for me it was fairly accurate (for reference I'm 189cm tall). I drop weight by eating less and moving more, I use a calorie tracker like MyFitnessPal and follow my training plan making sure I don't miss any sessions. Dropping 5kg will probably take somewhere between 6 and 12 weeks depending on how quickly I want to lose the weight.
Why are you trying to be heavier as a cyclist than as a rower?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:30 pm

69kg at 189cm! It gave my 68kg and I am 178!

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:27 pm

zill wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:I tried it and it told me I'm 5 kg over - which is exactly what I'd like to lose so it's ball-park accurate I reckon.

What is your plan to lose this 5kg?

How long do you expect to lose it?
Ha ! A plan would be a fine thing !

I tend to drop a couple over summer and put them back on over winter, so my weight swings between about 77-80kg. :/

I have a reasonable incentive to upend that pattern this year though, but not sure if it'll happen - I'll need to be a very disciplined eater over the next 2 months to get anywhere near 75 by September.

And I'm not that disciplined .... :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:20 pm

It told me my idea weight was my current weight

As it doesn't ask you your height, is it saying that midgets and basketball players should be the same weight?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:36 pm

From the calculators information page.
To use this tool you need to know your current body weight and body fat percentage. The estimates generated by this calculator are based on realistically attainable body fat percentages for men and women of various ages as suggested by data collected by Kip Russo of Body Fat Test, Inc. using the hydrostatic weighing method. Therefore it is ideal—but not essential—that you have your body fat percentage determined by the same method.

There’s a reason this tool is called an “Estimator” rather than a “Calculator.” Optimal racing weight is influenced by too many factors to be predicted with a high degree of accuracy for all athletes with a simple formula. The only way to definitively determine your optimal racing weight is to actually attain it through proper diet and progressive training. So think of the Racing Weight Estimator simply as a way to establish provisional goals for your weight and body composition.

The information supplied by this tool should not be construed as medical advice.
Fun toy but nothing more...

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:45 pm

dalai47 wrote:From the calculators information page.
To use this tool you need to know your current body weight and body fat percentage....
The information supplied by this tool should not be construed as medical advice.
Fun toy but nothing more...
Fun toys make cycling fun ! :lol:

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:37 pm

cyclotaur wrote:Fun toys make cycling fun ! :lol:
Agreed, but some people are not seeing it as just a bit of fun...

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:49 pm

zill wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:So you're planning on racing D grade, but you feel the need to compare yourself to professionals.

Cheers,

Cameron
I'm doing D grade to get experience and confidence. Ultimately, aim is to get into A grade.
Why do you feel the need to be at A grade level at your first race?

Sure have your goals to hit weight targets etc. but you will get to A grade much faster by starting racing next weekend, rather than holding off waiting for some magic number.

I'm surprised you haven't started a thread on power output. Being light alone doesn't win races.

Having good power/weight ratios doesn't necessarily win races unless you have A grade performance in a D grade race, in which case you won't learn anything from the experience.

Skills development, race tactics are all part of the package, because whatever aspect you choose to measure there will be someone with better numbers than you.

Enter some races, do badly and learn from the experience. You could even post your reports up and get some feedback.

If you truly get to A grade performance without even bunch riding experience, you will be a danger to yourself and others in a race where people will be relying on you to behave properly in a racing bunch, because they leave smaller margins for error.

Cheers,

Cameron

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:46 pm

zill wrote:
I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and finding it hard as I am not fat anymore but that is not good enough for competitive cycling. I'm just trying to get opinions from more experienced riders. This is all very new to me as I have always been overweight in the past.
Half of B grade at my club would be classed 'overweight' when it comes to competitive cycling, including me. Maybe when you're up to doing a Grand Tour, you could worry about getting your exact ideal race weight worked out, but unless you're up to that, just go and race dude. Don't try and compare yourself to the pro's. By riding and racing you'll probably continue to lose weight, and if that's your goal then hoorah, you're half way there.

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:54 pm

mikesbytes wrote:It told me my idea weight was my current weight

As it doesn't ask you your height, is it saying that midgets and basketball players should be the same weight?
So you currently have very low body fat? How does it feel having such low body fat? Are you natural this way or strictly diet and exercise?

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:57 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:69kg at 189cm! It gave my 68kg and I am 178!
Are you built with lots of muscle?

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:10 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
zill wrote:

Cheers,

Cameron
Why do you feel the need to be at A grade level at your first race?

Sure have your goals to hit weight targets etc. but you will get to A grade much faster by starting racing next weekend, rather than holding off waiting for some magic number.

I'm surprised you haven't started a thread on power output. Being light alone doesn't win races.

Having good power/weight ratios doesn't necessarily win races unless you have A grade performance in a D grade race, in which case you won't learn anything from the experience.

Skills development, race tactics are all part of the package, because whatever aspect you choose to measure there will be someone with better numbers than you.

Enter some races, do badly and learn from the experience. You could even post your reports up and get some feedback.

If you truly get to A grade performance without even bunch riding experience, you will be a danger to yourself and others in a race where people will be relying on you to behave properly in a racing bunch, because they leave smaller margins for error.

Cheers,

Cameron
I won't be at A grade level in 3 months time (being at racing weight doesn't automatically mean A grade) but hopefully B grade (fitness but not skill) level (and that is why I am starting in D grade). Actually, I love to race and often try to race anyone that look fast every time I go out riding or commuting. However, I don't want to do it formally yet. I take formal racing very seriously and feel that physically and mentally I am not ready now. When I do enter into regular crits, it might turn out that I hate racing in a bunch in which case I will only enter in time trial races.

I actually have started a topic on power
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=75281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I really want to achieve is a high 20 min watt/kg (purely for personal satisfaction).

nescius

Postby nescius » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:43 pm

zill wrote:
nescius wrote:

Why are you trying to be heavier as a cyclist than as a rower?
Ha ha, I'm not trying to be heavier, I'm nearly 20 years older and figure if I can get within a kilo or two of the weight I was as a 20 year old I'll be doing pretty well :lol:
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:39 pm

zill wrote:
I won't be at A grade level in 3 months time (being at racing weight doesn't automatically mean A grade) but hopefully B grade (fitness but not skill) level (and that is why I am starting in D grade). Actually, I love to race and often try to race anyone that look fast every time I go out riding or commuting. However, I don't want to do it formally yet. I take formal racing very seriously and feel that physically and mentally I am not ready now. When I do enter into regular crits, it might turn out that I hate racing in a bunch in which case I will only enter in time trial races.

I actually have started a topic on power
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=75281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I really want to achieve is a high 20 min watt/kg (purely for personal satisfaction).
Crits are a bad way to get into bunch racing. You need to be good at riding in a bunch before you enter your first crit, particularly at Kew which whilst it only has one tight corner there is not a lot of room to recover from someone messing it up. Someone like Jules21 will have a better idea of how often that occurs but my experience there was that someone would touch a pedal on that corner at least once every race, although it didn't always send them off line. The fight for position going into that corner could be pretty intense too.

You would be much better prepared for that if you started racing now. Chasing randoms on the street for a couple of minutes is not racing, (unless you count Commuter Cup points). You can still work toward your weight and power goals but you need experience to go with it.

Cheers,

Cameron