How accurate is the calculator for ideal racing weight?

toolonglegs

Re: How accurate is the calculator for ideal racing weight?

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:24 pm

zill wrote:Also with the title of this thread, I assume the ideal racing weight is (roughly) the same as optimal FTP w/kg weight.
Your ideal weight can be anything if you make enough power ;-) ... Look at Fab or Tom, big guys in cycling terms ( in the 80's, although I suspect Fab may have dropped into the high 70's a couple of times when playing TDF domestic )... Or Maggie who never dropped below 90. Of course that requires a huge FTP and sticking to flatter courses where brute power matters.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:41 pm

Yep^^^ and as many have said, your tactics dictate how much power you need. Most of the sprinters would have terrible threshold power per kg, but seriously impressive 5, 10 or 20 second power per kilo. Even at club level, this is the case. You just don't need big numbers if you know how to ride well for the result. If you make good friends, you will have teammates who will sacrifice themselves for you as well - your ability to make friends is probably worth a couple hours of z4 training a week - you don't need strong legs if you have people supporting you. You won't find them on a trainer at home, or even on the coffee ride.

(They are at the race track)

(I think we said that before)

You're definitely suffering paralysis by analysis. Once you race, you'll have a better understanding of what you need to work on. What your FTP needs to be. How many friends you need. What your weight should be. How much better your core strength needs to be. What your handling skills are like. Or if you should take up marathon running instead :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:24 pm

You could start out with some time trailing http://www.atta.asn.au/ Which city are you located in?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:31 pm

mikesbytes wrote:You could start out with some time trailing http://www.atta.asn.au/ Which city are you located in?
Will get to these things eventually!

zill

Postby zill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:33 pm

Xplora wrote:Yep^^^ and as many have said, your tactics dictate how much power you need. Most of the sprinters would have terrible threshold power per kg, but seriously impressive 5, 10 or 20 second power per kilo. Even at club level, this is the case. You just don't need big numbers if you know how to ride well for the result. If you make good friends, you will have teammates who will sacrifice themselves for you as well - your ability to make friends is probably worth a couple hours of z4 training a week - you don't need strong legs if you have people supporting you. You won't find them on a trainer at home, or even on the coffee ride.

(They are at the race track)

(I think we said that before)

You're definitely suffering paralysis by analysis. Once you race, you'll have a better understanding of what you need to work on. What your FTP needs to be. How many friends you need. What your weight should be. How much better your core strength needs to be. What your handling skills are like. Or if you should take up marathon running instead :)
Thanks for the advice Xplora. We should probably call an end to this thread. Clearly, I need to race!

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:05 am

I try and do at least one bunch ride a week and race.

Not much else will help you improve for swapping off doing turns and recovering quickly from hard efforts.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:48 pm

Tarquin wrote:I try and do at least one bunch ride a week and race.

Not much else will help you improve for swapping off doing turns and recovering quickly from hard efforts.
Good advice Tarquin

When I analyse my races I don't think about where I am weak or whether I could be lighter, I think about what decisions I made and whether they were right or wrong. Its about gambling, for example if someone goes off the front, do you;
1. chase him down, bringing him back into the pack
2. try to jump to him and work with him on a break
3. let other riders chase him down
In different races each of the above is the right or wrong decision
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:07 pm

^^ I think this can be REALLY hard to learn, because it requires a lot of experience that has very little to do with pedalling.
1. Am I strong enough to do this and be ready for an attack later? (or) Do I want to let him work for a while longer?
2. Am I strong enough to do this if the bunch wants to chase later? Is he strong enough to stay away? Can you beat him in a sprint?
3. Are the other riders interested in letting him go? Are the front runners capable of bridging the gap?

My first B grade win came with a bunch of unfamiliar faces who spent a bit of time at the front... I think they were a bit green, and they weren't capable of launching a chase when 2 guys took off, and certainly weren't capable of launching a chase when I charged off the front to bridge the 300m gap.

I don't know how much of that can be taught or learnt - some people just have an awareness of the posture on the bike, the breathing, the difference between someone suffering and someone pretending or just hiding. ;) I don't know how much is ever a gamble - it's an informed decision. But you're totally right - sometimes you aren't sure. Other times you are.

I would totally recommend eyeballing the whole field on the road if you get the chance to see the difference. I have jumped off the front at the Penrith Regatta Centre, and if you allow the bunch to pass you after a lap on the finish straight, you can safely check everyone out. Some guys will be redlined just holding position in the bunch, others are playing doggo, others are simply riding. You can see it, but it's often quite hard to do this - I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this at Lansdowne on the flip flop.

Jace

Postby Jace » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:26 pm

I would have thought it was ball parkish. I have always felt my peak weight was about 80-82 and thats around where it puts me.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:43 pm

I tried the calculator and it put me at 44kgs. I'm 48kgs now. I once spent a week in hospital and dropped to around 44kgs. I looked like a skeleton!!!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:31 pm

44kgs :shock: My 12 year old son weighs more then that!

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:44kgs :shock: My 12 year old son weighs more then that!
And that's why I'm not recommending the calculator!!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix