How durable is the Schwalbe Ultremo HT Tubular Tyre?

For Roadies

How durable is the Schwalbe Ultremo HT Tubular Tyre?

Postby zill » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:42 am

Anybody have experience with this tubular tyre? How is it for training purposes?
zill

by BNA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:12 pm

BNA

Re: How durable is the Schwalbe Ultremo HT Tubular Tyre?

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Not very, compared to a schwalbe marathon. Sure it's going to be faster but who cares when you are training. You want durability and reliability not speed. I race on tubs but training on them makes no sense to me. :?

warthog1

Postby open roader » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:39 pm

Very durable if visible wear is anything to go by.

I had a pair of HT tubulars on Shamals for a while, the diamond pattern tread looked still brand new after the initial 400+ km but I found they offered a 'dead' ride comapred to Vittoria CX tubulars or Vittoria SC tubulars.

I suggest you try Vittoria CG Pave tubulars (24mm versions if you can still get them or 25mm in the newer twin stripe version). I ride these now on 2 separate wheelsets. Admittedly I'm not a powerful rider but for me they offer a great ride at lower psi than any clincher can stand and for the price they last plenty long (3,300km on the oldest set and at least twice that as much to go I expect.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby zill » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:29 pm

open roader wrote:I suggest you try Vittoria CG Pave tubulars (24mm versions if you can still get them or 25mm in the newer twin stripe version). I ride these now on 2 separate wheelsets. Admittedly I'm not a powerful rider but for me they offer a great ride at lower psi than any clincher can stand and for the price they last plenty long (3,300km on the oldest set and at least twice that as much to go I expect.

Are they the most durable tubulars on the market?
zill

Postby Cul » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:41 pm

The most I have got out of a set of tubs before being retired was 5600kms on a set of Continental Sprinters, the rear was showing some wear but probably had another 1000kms in it, the front had an easy 2500kms left on it. Not the best riding tubulars, but certainly durable.

My Vittoria Corsa Elite have also been great, good durability and ride well and come in a range of widths.
Cul

Postby open roader » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 pm

zill wrote:
open roader wrote:I suggest you try Vittoria CG Pave tubulars (24mm versions if you can still get them or 25mm in the newer twin stripe version). I ride these now on 2 separate wheelsets. Admittedly I'm not a powerful rider but for me they offer a great ride at lower psi than any clincher can stand and for the price they last plenty long (3,300km on the oldest set and at least twice that as much to go I expect.

Are they the most durable tubulars on the market?

Vittoria Rally tubulars are Vittoria's 'official' training model and on average road surfaces are more likely to last longer. Continental Sprinter Gatorskin tubulars will almost certainly last longer than the tyres I mention above as well.

Each unto their own as there are no rights or wrongs, however, I do not see the point of opting for tubulars over clinchers only for the sake of tyre durability or longevity. I opted for tubulars after several years riding high tpi count race orientated clinchers teamed with both butyl and latex tubes in order to achieve a more comfortable ride without the penalty of pinch flats that clinchers suffer at my desired low-ish pressures. Thus far, the switch to tubulars has been a complete success.

If you have not already - I suggest you use the search engine on the BNA pages as there is plenty of discussion as to the pros and cons of of tubluar tyres.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Return to Road Biking