Carbon wheels...Worth it?

Tarquin

Re: Carbon wheels...Worth it?

Postby Tarquin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:58 pm

I race on my 303 tubulars, notice the weight difference over my training wheels when accelerating. 1kg weight difference between the wheel sets.

Also notice how terrible they are at braking in the wet. Be better putting my feet down to stop! Admittedly that was in torrential rain, in light conditions in sure they would fare better!

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:55 am

I look forward to seeing some wag publish wind tunnel data comparing a cyclist pre and post 15+kg weight loss.
My money is on the lost fat reducing CdA significantly more than deep section wheels.

So before I buy another pair of aeros, I'll focus on sub 10% bodyfat.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:50 am

CKinnard wrote:It was fashionable several years ago to use deep sections as every day wheels.
Now, 99% of serious riders I know don't.

The view amongst experienced riders in Brisbane now is riding deep sections at any time apart from racing, is indication the user has more money than ride experience, and was conned into the purchase by LBS nobs.

:lol: That's too funny
What do you say to the retired Olympic gold medlalist (cycling) who rides on 404's? He is along on our bunch rides sometimes :)
Ride what you want I say.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

softy

Postby softy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:06 am

You guys are incredible,

It is a wheel, it is round and it rolls, it is fit for purpose. Secondhand carbon wheels are easy to pick up on gumtree, so not so expensive!

People put all sorts of things on their cars for improved appearance, whats so different about bikes?

So carbon wheels need not be expensive, and look good and can possibly add performance. Why not use them if you like them? Image is a poor reason to pedal for not buying them.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:30 am

i ride deep section wheels daily, couldn't care less if i'm pretentious snob.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:38 am

warthog1 wrote:
CKinnard wrote:It was fashionable several years ago to use deep sections as every day wheels.

The view amongst experienced riders in Brisbane now is riding deep sections at any time apart from racing, is indication the user has more money than ride experience, and was conned into the purchase by LBS nobs.

What do you say to the retired Olympic gold medlalist (cycling) who rides on 404's? He is along on our bunch rides sometimes :)
I say ask him what he recommends u ride...... and why.

I ride with an ex olympian too...he rides 32 spoke box rims....anx dont tbink he owns deep sections.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:11 pm

warthog1 wrote:

:mrgreen: That's what I recon! :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:12 pm

softy wrote:People put all sorts of things on their cars for improved appearance, whats so different about bikes?
- most guys using deep sections get blown around in cross winds, thus endangering riders around them
- I know an A grader who broke his elbow when he took his hands off the bars to have a drink - a gust hammered his front deep section right then.
- on a group ride two years ago, the first long hill we came to, there's a sudden loud bang from mid pack. and several guys go down. after we sorted out the carnage, the cause was a guy's light weight deep section carbon brake surfaces collapsing (and flatting), presumably due to being worn way too thin.
- carbon heat dissipation issues most are aware of, including many Gran Fondo's around the world where carbon wheels are banned due to a history of rim heat flats, especially for heavier guys in hot weather on steeper descents.

so fit for purpose? that's debatable.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:21 pm

CKinnard wrote:
softy wrote:People put all sorts of things on their cars for improved appearance, whats so different about bikes?
- most guys using deep sections get blown around in cross winds, thus endangering riders around them
- I know an A grader who broke his elbow when he took his hands off the bars to have a drink - a gust hammered his front deep section right then.
- on a group ride two years ago, the first long hill we came to, there's a sudden loud bang from mid pack. and several guys go down. after we sorted out the carnage, the cause was a guy's light weight deep section carbon brake surfaces collapsing (and flatting), presumably due to being worn way too thin.
- carbon heat dissipation issues most are aware of, including many Gran Fondo's around the world where carbon wheels are banned due to a history of rim heat flats, especially for heavier guys in hot weather on steeper descents.

The risk is much higher that you will have a death or serious accident in a motor vehicle, but I bet you still drive or travel in a car. That is anecdotal evidence, and in know way reflects the dangers of carbon wheels.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:50 pm

softy wrote:The risk is much higher that you will have a death or serious accident in a motor vehicle, but I bet you still drive or travel in a car. That is anecdotal evidence, and in know way reflects the dangers of carbon wheels.
Henry! eating all the twisties...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:19 pm

CKinnard wrote:

Yes, you can get blown around a bit by them, but in windy conditions, even normal wheels won't save you. I've been in conditions where with normal wheels I've struggled to stay in the lane and actually had to stop and walk - with the wind lifting the bike up.

Otherwise, you get used to the way those wheels behave. If you aren't sure the conditions are going to be fairly calm, then don't run the deep-section carbon wheels, run normal alloy wheels that most people do seem to still have sitting around at home.
Tarquin wrote:Also notice how terrible they are at braking in the wet. Be better putting my feet down to stop! Admittedly that was in torrential rain, in light conditions in sure they would fare better!
Yeah, noticed that as well. I prefer not to use them in the rain for that reason.
Cul wrote: I've been toying with the idea of getting a full disc just for shits and giggles on our "Fast Thursday" rides as it generally attracts a few TT'ers :idea:
I want to see that! :) I did see one guy a long time back riding the M7 track with a disc rear wheel. Triathlon bike. Never seen again.

Jace

Postby Jace » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks for replies everyone. It does seem to be a very individual thing, probably something Ill definitely upgrade to in a year. They do look and sound awesome although if I coughed up the cash for them id be hoping they were markedly faster than my current offerings!
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;