Cycling Australia extortion 2015

drubie

Cycling Australia extortion 2015

Postby drubie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Why did all the licenses just go up $40 over last year? I didn't notice them offering any new services!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Gunlock

Re: Cycling Australia extortion 2015

Postby Gunlock » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:37 pm

$40 goes toward your personal new bike fund.

After 100 years of CA membership you can afford a new bike.

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:45 pm

I can afford to start my own damn cycling association. Between the handwaving over known drug cheats and completely ignoring the needs of ordinary club members I'm tempted to do it.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Yep it was a bit of a rude shock to me as well, I paid it but I wasn't happy about it.

I think next year is looking like the year of the mtb for me, not sure if I'll continue to race road if it's going to go up $40 every year.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:26 pm

They're broke.

happysumo

Postby happysumo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:55 pm

Yep definitely. $350 sting (plus at least $20 per race) is a huge deterrent for people who are thinking of racing. It'd be nice if they were more transparent about where the cost of each licence goes at least.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:59 pm

Oh yeah, they're essentially going broke

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:40 pm

drubie wrote: I didn't notice them offering any new services!
You overlook the 'upgraded' website and race calendar

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm

ft_critical wrote:
drubie wrote: I didn't notice them offering any new services!
You overlook the 'upgraded' website and race calendar
That was my $40, where did everbody elses go :(AT)

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:48 pm

Vets are a damn sight cheaper
If you are 35 or over.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:11 am

drubie wrote:Why did all the licenses just go up $40 over last year? I didn't notice them offering any new services!
$341 for the renewal is a bit steep (Elite/U23). A lot of people just won't do it.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:13 pm

The purchase of a CA race licence, as with most other things in life, is an individual's choice, based upon the value they place upon the item of desire....

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:38 am

Parker wrote:Oh yeah, they're essentially going broke
I didn't think their financial position was a problem until I did a quick search and found this from last April:
http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/pr ... iujPkWoogP

Essentially they got involved in some dodgy deal with Michael Edgley (Grass Roots Australia?) and it cost them a fortune, only now the rest of us have to pay for their stupidity and greed. Gee they've been bloody quiet about it to their members though.

Thanks CA, and a special thanks to Michael Edgley!

yehuda

Postby yehuda » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:17 pm

Unfortunatley I am not renewing my license this year. In just the last 2 years it has risen too much.
And when you want to put it to good use, just to race twice a week is getting up to $150 a month.

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:23 pm

Cycling WA had to merge with Cycle West because it wasn't a financial venture worth continuing.

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:36 pm

Actually another thing that I think is ridiculous about CA and some of the state organisations is the rules on what you can wear in a race, sure, I understand that clubs register their kit and need to get something for it. But it also creates further exclusivity to cycling which means it's less appealing to people who may want to try a race.

For example, you purchase your bike, you buy some kit from wiggle, shows, helmet, you've already spent a bundle, you then need to go out and buy a licence and you buy a recreational one because you're not sure and then you have to get a race licence for a day or three day and then you the race fee and then you find out that you need to wear club kit... WHAT?

If a person is entering any grade under B grade across both genders I don't think that this should be an enforceable rule, CA and their state bodies needs to encourage active participation, I know people in clubs who will encourage people to buy kit or borrow kit instead of just saying, "oh actually you can just wear plain kit". Active participation means come one and all, have a go at D grade, cool you enjoyed it, come back again. Eventually that person will purchase a club kit and the full licence but the fact that you're told you can only have a certain type of kit, really holds people back from having a go.

Cycle racing is already exclusive, it is already expensive, why make it harder for people and why make it harder to grow and expand opportunity for others? I know the clubs have discretion about kit, but if you go looking for information it's incredibly hard to find and then you just get an exclusive answer that says you can't come and play.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:12 pm

In Victoria at least you can still wear plain kit...

I paid up as I needed to race again, fortunately I race only with a Masters licence so save a few $ over the elite fee.

If you think that is expensive though, consider racing one or two races overseas whilst traveling? Now that is sticker shock! :shock:

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:23 pm

I am yet to find a club that enforces this rule in Vic, but I understand some NSW/ACT clubs push it (that said I do not currently race CV open events), but it certainly adds to the "exclusivity" of cycling and does neither CA or the clubs a favour when it comes to generating participation. I am fortunate enough to come from a "regional" club, who were more than accommodating when I was thinking of joining; it's just a shame they receive only a pittance of the CA licensing fee.
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:43 pm

As a uni student, the $248 for a regional licence certainly puts me and plenty of others I know off the idea of racing.

EDIT: Also, the equivalent licence to do some local racing in Britain costs a mere $35.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Parker wrote: For example, you purchase your bike, you buy some kit from wiggle, shows, helmet, you've already spent a bundle, you then need to go out and buy a licence and you buy a recreational one because you're not sure and then you have to get a race licence for a day or three day and then you the race fee and then you find out that you need to wear club kit... WHAT?
I have not once ever seen that enforced in NSW, VIC, ACT or TAS over the last 10 odd years.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:54 pm

http://www.veterancycling.com.au/membership.html

Membership Fees

Club membership fees are composed of a core amount consisting of an AVCC and VVCC component, an insurance component, and whatever the local club adds on for their own needs.

Your Membership is composed of:
AVCC and Insurance charge $80
VVCC $45
Plus your Club fee
Dogs are the best people :wink:

skull

Postby skull » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:41 pm

ACTVCC was only $100.

Races are $5 - $10

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:47 pm

But where can you race?

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:52 pm

skull wrote:
Parker wrote: For example, you purchase your bike, you buy some kit from wiggle, shows, helmet, you've already spent a bundle, you then need to go out and buy a licence and you buy a recreational one because you're not sure and then you have to get a race licence for a day or three day and then you the race fee and then you find out that you need to wear club kit... WHAT?
I have not once ever seen that enforced in NSW, VIC, ACT or TAS over the last 10 odd years.
It's not the point that it's not enforced, it is somewhat enforced in WA but not always, it's very inconsistent.

The point is that the rules or the charter say it, if someone were to read it which I'm not sure how that is possible since it's so hard to find any worthwhile information on the CWA website that it comes across as elitist and holds other people back from participating.

The general statement is not inclusive and for heavens sake... what is plain kit?

brendan c

Postby brendan c » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:49 pm

I was considering combining a race with visiting a friend in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney last year, lucky I read their website first, culture shock moving from SE Melb where only the kids racing in state champs seem to own club kit. I was just going to wear plain kit, but the website said it wasn't allowed. Our house our rules I guess......

http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/category/criterium/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You must race in your club uniform, unless entitled as a registered member of a Cycling NSW or Cycling Australian registered or International team, to wear registered team uniform.

For a crit, not even an open......