strong road wheels

hrb93

strong road wheels

Postby hrb93 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi all,
Looking for some strong road wheels for my father.
Rides for recreational purposes, has had few bikes, and a few cracked wheels

Have had some shimano Durace, mavic kysirium le, etc

Thanks.

MattyK

Re: strong road wheels

Postby MattyK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:10 pm

Budget?
Number of gears?
Weight? (ie rider)
Brakes?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:53 pm

hrb93 wrote:Hi all,
Looking for some strong road wheels for my father.
Rides for recreational purposes, has had few bikes, and a few cracked wheels

Have had some shimano Durace, mavic kysirium le, etc

Thanks.

Not sure how strong you want to go but you'd need to drive a car over these to damage them:

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/como-cl ... elset.html
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:18 pm

Floating around 110-112kg myself. Popping a few spokes running 32h Mavic Pro rims. Bought a pair of 105 hubbed/H Plus Son Archetypes from Wiggle for ~$AUD450 shipped. Done probably 1500km on 'em last coupla months. Pretty happy with em thus far

I wanted to stay with basic, traditional round spoke and regular hubs. Proprietary sets up 5h!t me for serviceability/reusability later on. Not a factor for everyone, I know.

I will now probably rebuild the hubs from the coupla jiggered wheels I have into Archetype rims. Not everyone cares to build wheels I know. Call me a sucker; I just like reusing stuff where I can.
- Kym
Infrequently reading & contributing these days. Still reachable by PM (email alerts) - dec 2016

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:57 am

HappyHumber wrote:Floating around 110-112kg myself. Popping a few spokes running 32h Mavic Pro rims. Bought a pair of 105 hubbed/H Plus Son Archetypes from Wiggle for ~$AUD450 shipped. Done probably 1500km on 'em last coupla months. Pretty happy with em thus far

I wanted to stay with basic, traditional round spoke and regular hubs. Proprietary sets up 5h!t me for serviceability/reusability later on. Not a factor for everyone, I know.

I will now probably rebuild the hubs from the coupla jiggered wheels I have into Archetype rims. Not everyone cares to build wheels I know. Call me a sucker; I just like reusing stuff where I can.

Exactly what I am doing- have a good set of Archetypes on Hope Mono Pros (love the sound) and replacing some dodgy Kinlin XC279 rims built onto Novatecs with the Archetypes. Front is currently lined up as it is shedding aluminium shards into the brake pads, rear has been done. The Wiggle wheelsets are heavy but would be solid and very reliable and servicable.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:23 am

CXCommuter wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:Floating around 110-112kg myself. Popping a few spokes running 32h Mavic Pro rims. Bought a pair of 105 hubbed/H Plus Son Archetypes from Wiggle for ~$AUD450 shipped. Done probably 1500km on 'em last coupla months. Pretty happy with em thus far

Exactly what I am doing- have a good set of Archetypes on Hope Mono Pros (love the sound) and replacing some dodgy Kinlin XC279 rims built onto Novatecs with the Archetypes. Front is currently lined up as it is shedding aluminium shards into the brake pads, rear has been done. The Wiggle wheelsets are heavy but would be solid and very reliable and servicable.

I'm around the 100kg mark and have Archetypes on Novatech hubs on my modern classic Montello. Not only are they strong and ride well, they look fantastic too.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:01 pm

Sharkey wrote:
I'm around the 100kg mark and have Archetypes on Novatech hubs on my modern classic Montello. Not only are they strong and ride well, they look fantastic too.

Nice bike :)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:12 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sharkey wrote:

Nice bike :)

Agreed- and nice wheelset and tyres

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:38 am

Pwetty!

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:59 pm

I'm a fan of the DT Swiss Alpine III spokes, essentially they're triple-butted with normal 2mm gauge at the thread, less meat in the middle where it won't hurt (1.8mm) and thicker (2.34mm) at the bend where spokes fail most often. I tend to use the one shopping pannier so the rear wheel gets a lot of weight on the non-drive side, meaning I used to snap a lot of spokes there until I relaced with the Alpines.

If you're building wheels for clydesdales a good stiff rim also doesn't hurt.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:32 pm

Dunno that it makes that much different which side the pannier's on. Sounds more like slight under tensioning. Still,good spokes are good :-)

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:26 am

Have to confess that I generally just build with whatever Mavic or Velocity rims I can get, haven't looked at the H Plus Son rims but will check them out. That's spokes and rims, dare I ask, any good nipples that I should look out for?