For those who love climbing -The Col Collective

dalai47

Re: For those who love climbing -The Col Collective

Postby dalai47 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:05 pm

m@ wrote:Wellington should be on any Aussie climber's hit list and there are plenty of other, lesser climbs around Hobart.

Agreed it would easily be one of the top 10 climbs in Australia and vying for the top spot being a challenging climb from the sea to a true summit.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:23 pm

dalai47 wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I'm never going to get to any of those before I'm too decrepit to enjoy them :(
I've done the back of Falls, Hotham, Buffalo and Donna Buang, Donna being my favourite. Any other Australian climbs you can recommend?

Never say never!

Buller and Baw Baw are worth doing too and not on your list.

My favourites in Vic are Buffalo and Mt Donna Buang. For me personally the win goes to Buffalo as you get great views as you climb.

I have a love hate relationship with Mt Donna these days as I've spent too many days in Wnter riding threepeats to prepare for Northern hemisphere trips! At least the rangers let you ride it in Winter including the closed top section through the pedestrians. :D

Mt Buller - road gets handed over to the resort in Winter and they can decide if you are allowed onto the mountain. On the one weekend pictured below I was allowed to ride repeats on the Saturday when the weather was worse but then next day not.. :evil:

Thanks I'll have to have a crack at those. Both in Vic so very doable :)
What clothing were you wearing in those photos :o
I reckon I'll wait til the weather warms a bit more than that.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 pm

kb wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I've done the back of Falls, Hotham, Buffalo and Donna Buang, Donna being my favourite. Any other Australian climbs you can recommend?

It's quite fun getting the different personalities of a mountain, so Healesville to Donna if you don't mind a bit of dirt. Lake Mountain up Reefton Spur as well as Marysville.

I can't see myself getting overseas any time soon but would love to have a crack at the Snowys some time.

I really like Donna so that would be a good variation cheers. :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:30 pm

m@ wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I've done the back of Falls, Hotham, Buffalo and Donna Buang, Donna being my favourite. Any other Australian climbs you can recommend?

Tassie is but a 45-minute flight away; kunanyi/Wellington should be on any Aussie climber's hit list and there are plenty of other, lesser climbs around Hobart. The Rapha Prestige has lifted Ben Lomond's profile somewhat; haven't ridden that one myself.

We've got to get over to Tassie. Bought the Lonely Planet book years ago but still haven't got there :roll: :(
I haven't been since I was a teenager.

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:44 pm

The Col Collective rider's 'climbing' gearing is a mid compact with 11-25 - hahaha simply amazing he could go up all these world mountains with 11-25. maybe he's skinny - us mere weekend warrior would need a proper mountain bike triple chainring and 11-34 at least to get up those hills!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:31 pm

AFAIK the tdf riders, that generally includes the best climbers in the world, use lower gearing than that. They would be going significantly faster

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:33 pm

warthog1 wrote:What clothing were you wearing in those photos :o
I reckon I'll wait til the weather warms a bit more than that.

Clothing is key! Riding up - combination of merino long sleeve undershirt, jersey, arm warmers, gillet, long fingered gloves, cap, long tights, merino socks and overshoes. Descending also a waterproof jacket and carried in the second bottle with the top cut off plastic overpants and rubber bands for around the ankles to keep them away from the chain.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:38 pm

I've ridden all those on a standard 39 with max 29 on the back. Most climbs especially in the French Alps aren't that steep... Only place where I've found that gear wanting was on Pikes Peak in the States. You are faced with a long section of 10+ percent near the summit at 4,300m - at this altitude studies suggest your FTP is only 72% of your sea level FTP...

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:54 pm

Machoman121 wrote:The Col Collective rider's 'climbing' gearing is a mid compact with 11-25 - hahaha simply amazing he could go up all these world mountains with 11-25. maybe he's skinny - us mere weekend warrior would need a proper mountain bike triple chainring and 11-34 at least to get up those hills!

I can confirm that with reasonable fitness (*) compact cranks with 11-28 are sufficient for the Dolomites climbs. I rode a hefty old (year unknown) 9sp 105 Corratec Dolomiti around there for 2 weeks last year. It was a hire bike and the other riders on the trip were shocked when they had to move my bike !! It weighed at least 9.5kgs, I reckon, but I survived and did all the climbs (ok, slowly....) and came back a much stronger rider for the effort.

When I rolled up Buffalo on my Defy1 with a 30t cassette on the AAC it was a breeze ! :)

Dalai's 39/29 is a lower gear than Col's 36/25, which is roughly equal to 39/27. My 34/28 equates to about 39/32.

*(I'm 59yo and 78kgs - but I lost 3 kgs in 2 weeks riding in Italy, despite eating like a horse !! :lol: )
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:44 pm

cyclotaur wrote:Dalai's 39/29 is a lower gear than Col's 36/25, which is roughly equal to 39/27. My 34/28 equates to about 39/32.

Yes, my 39/29 for OS trips is similar to 34/25...

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:36 pm

Yeah, good gearing is key to big long climbs I reckon.

5 years ago aged 55 I started out on the 1:20 with 39/23, then 25.... Then on to CX cranks with 36/27, then swapped the inner ring to 34. I now have 34/30 on the road bike and 34/32 on the CX. But I can now climb proper mountains. [emoji1]

There's something addictive about a good climbing ride.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."